PDA

View Full Version : Need to torch side of coach and install a lift

Jeff Bayley
05-31-2007, 08:10 PM
I need to get pointed in the right direction to a company who is capable of tearing into the side of the bus and installing a handicap style lift. Need suggestions.

I've been decided to go ahead and chop my 1994 Angola up (just a little) and make it into the new rolling showroom and solve all my trailer problems of getting myself AND my gear around the country. I need to know if anyone can recommend a company to take a blow tourch or saw to the side of the bus and install a handicap style lift in order to allow me load and unload my gear (500 lbs max). I saw one used coach for sale with a lift like this installed in it about 4 year ago when I was just shopping for my first coach. I've never seen another one and have no idea who they employed to install that one becuase that was of no interest to me at the time; but now it is.

I can de-install the couches and the dinnete table and put EZ-track on the wall to secure my lasers to use the salon area for cargo and have the back for living. The couches can go back in and the bus can be put back the way it was if/when I get ready to sell it again and in the meantime I can use it to carry my junk around w/o having to fuss with a trailer or sleep on an air mattress in the current "Laser Bus" which is real buzz killer (knowing that the Prevost is parked and just collecting dust while I'm trying to relive myself in a plastic cup.......Oh joy.)

I figure it will cost $10-$15k to have the hole made and the proper lift installed but where I get that estimate............I have no idea. Just a wild guess. Who knows, maybe someone out there will like customized lift if they want to travel with someone who is in a wheel chair (if I get ready to try selling it again). Anyway, the market for the used buses is soft and I want to put this bus to use. If it works, I'll just keep it and use it as my new rollling showroom.

I need to get pointed in the right direction for somone who is capable of tearing into the side of the bus and installing a lift like this. Need suggestions of any companies memebers might know of that have installed these before.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-31-2007, 08:58 PM
Jeff, You might try Creative Mobile Interiors one of our sponsors.

http://www.creativemobileinteriors.com/ ("http://www.creativemobileinteriors.com/")

Denny
05-31-2007, 10:15 PM
Jeff,

Try Panterra Coach and RV. They are one or our sponsors and their ad, which is on the home page of this site, shows installing slides in non slide coaches. They, perhaps, can help you.

Denny

Jon Wehrenberg
06-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Jeff,

Good advice above. I assume you are aware the Prevost will split in half if you do what you describe without a substantial restructuring of the frame that runs the full length under the windows and over the wheel openings.

My guess is $15,000 won't even be close to the cost.

Loc
06-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Jeff,

You may also want to give the guys at Excalibur a call. They are one of the sponsors of this site. They install slide outs in non-slide coaches so they have experience cutting into the side of a bus. Doug Stolfo is the owner. You can contact him at 407-302-9139. They are located off I-4 in Sanford, Florida.

Loc

Jeff Bayley
06-01-2007, 11:02 AM
I called Steve Zigler at Prevost and he referred me to

Complete Coach Works: Riverside, CA. 909-684-9585
Macy is the guy to talk to. Anybody ever heard of these guys ?

He said that they do a lot of aftermarket lifts just like this and that Prevost has already supplied them with the drawings and technical advice on how to beef up the frame and compensate for the hole that is made. The only negative is I have to get the coach all the way from Florida to CA to have it done but these are the go to guys according the Steve at Prevost.

Still open to any East Coast counterparts that could do it if someone knows.

Orren Zook
06-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Jeff,

There's a Vogue over at Heartland Bus that looks like what you are talking about , Here's the link: http://heartlandbus.com/VehicleDetail.cfm?StockNo=1297

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Jeff,

There's a Vogue over at Heartland Bus that looks like what you are talking about , Here's the link: http://heartlandbus.com/VehicleDetail.cfm?StockNo=1297

Oh Boy Orren, I think you can expect a commission on that find:D