PDA

View Full Version : How often do you grease the chassis?

dreadnought
05-30-2007, 07:50 PM
The Prevost owners manual calls for a grease job between oil changes as part of a 6,250 mile service. How many of yall actually do this? other than Jon, of course. I called around to local coach companies trying to find someone to do it and they say they do a complete service at 12 or 15,000 miles and nothing in between other than checking tires, fluids etc.. I don't have the time or the pit to do it myself and the coach operators don't act like they want to fool with a motor home owner, unless they have nothing to do on their own coaches. I even called Prevost and got a round about answer that most owners come in for full service only. We always serviced our over the road trucks at 10,000 miles which of course included a grease job. I know off road and dump trucks are greased weekly. How critical is this grease job every 6,000 miles? :confused:

Joe Cannarozzi
05-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Twice a year for us, spring and fall.

merle&louise
05-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Bill,

I had my coach greased in January 2006 with 42,000 miles on it.

And I had it greased again last week (May 2007) with 72,000 miles; the mechanic in the truck stop told me that all of the grease zerts were full. It really didn't need a grease job.

But what the heck, it's only $25.00.:D I would say it depends on how many miles are put on the chassis/year and what kind of driving conditions you operate the coach in.

garyde
05-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Once a year, Oil and lube or 10k which ever comes 1st. Its a good idea to have someone check out your under carriage once a year for leaks, loose fittings, bots, etc.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-31-2007, 07:49 AM
I don't think it really matters a whole lot what our intervals are because almost none of us will ever put enough miles on the chassis for the failure to lube it to show up as problems.

I do mine with my 5000 mile oil changes, but each fitting only requires a very slight shot. For me, the critical thing is it gives me an opportunity to do an undercoach inspection. I have found a nail in my tire, broken generator exhaust pipe hangers, slight anti-freeze leaks, loose or missing generator or AC baffle bolts, chafing hoses, etc. So more critical to me is the inspection and repair of the very minor problems that could turn into serious problems that would disrupt a trip. It is my opinion that a Prevost or truck repair facility will do the grease job, but will not take the time to do the inspection, looking for even petty issues that could eventually become bigger problems.

lewpopp
05-31-2007, 11:34 PM
Jon, as for the coolant, I was inquiring about it at a Mac truck garage and the guy asked me if I wanted the red or the green. I thought different companies just dyed the coolant what ever way they wanted to.

Is the color the important thing? I doubt it. What I want is the Aluminum friendly, rught? Should I get the stuff that is already mixed 50/50?

Confused.

Lew

rfoster
05-31-2007, 11:38 PM
I am pretty paranoid, no just fairly consistent with greasing the u joints about every 6000 miles, It just drives better knowing it has greasy joints. I think I use my bus a bit more than the average traveler and may be doing a bit more maintenance than the average bus owner except Jon.

garyde
06-01-2007, 12:19 AM
Jon, as for the coolant, I was inquiring about it at a Mac truck garage and the guy asked me if I wanted the red or the green. I thought different companies just dyed the coolant what ever way they wanted to.

Is the color the important thing? I doubt it. What I want is the Aluminum friendly, rught? Should I get the stuff that is already mixed 50/50?

Confused.

Lew

Hi Lew,:D
Mine is green ,and 50/50 is recommended. Make sure it is Coolant for Deisel Engines as well.

win42
06-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Lew: The guys at Detroit Diesel told me you can use any kind as long as it's green in the 8V92. You need to check the PH level with test strips. Wrong coolant balance can cause the cylinder sleeves to eat out from the coolant side.
Having water service done by experianced people is important.

Jon Wehrenberg
06-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Lew,

There is a Detroit Diesel spec that coolant must meet. You cannot go to the local Auto Zone and pick up twelve gallons of Prestone and be good to go.

The coolant container will list the various specs it meets and I have never found any automotive anti-freeze that spells it out. I have been able to get the proper coolant however at truck stops or at Detroit dealers.

Whether it is pre-mixed or needs to be mixed is a personal choice. It is my understanding the green is not compatible with the red so if you have green stick with it. The DD dealer I get mine from recommends the undiluted because of the cost.

As a general comment the use of the wrong coolant or one that does not test properly could result in severe damage to the cylinder liners, and the few bucks extra that are spent using the right coolant and maintaining the chemistry will be cheap insurance. Further, if the wrong coolant is used there is a possibility the radiator could become blocked due to "silicone drop out" (I hope I spelled that right) and could require premature radiator recoring.

Ray Davis
06-01-2007, 12:55 PM
I recently needed more coolant, and called Prevost, as they had sold me a couple of gallons in the past. They indicated they no longer had gallons available, but they indicated that the Shell product, available at all Shell stores meets the requirements for the 8V engines. I don't have the bus here or I'd get the part number.

DO NOT mix the purple or the green stuff. I did go to DD to find out once, and they sold me the purple stuff. They indicated it is better than the green. BUT, Prevost informed me that you cannot mix the two. You can convert over to the purple stuff, but you have to completely drain everything to make that happen. Prevost installs green by default on the older engines.

OK, did a quick websearch. This is a link to the stuff recommended to me by Prevost:

http://www.shellusserver.com/products/pdf/Shellzone.pdf

Part #94010 (needs to be diluted 50/50).
Pre-diluted product #94067

Note, evidently there is an equivalent Napa product, but I don't have that part number.

Ray