PDA

View Full Version : Orange County Dinner

Jerry Winchester
05-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Over in another thread I mentioned having dinner this Friday night with any of the POG brethern in the area.

Call me if you are up for it as we would love to see the California brain trust while we are here. Oh, and Gary too.

JDUB Cell - 713-410-9324

jello_jeep
05-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Hey Ray, do you have to pay full pop to get into Dland if you are just going to eat dinner ?? :confused: :confused:

Ray Davis
05-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Downtown Disney is free, but the restaurants are really pricey and busy. However, I can sign 3 in to D-land besides myself. If wanted to go to something like the Blue Bayoo, then I could get you and Kelly in, along with me and Kathy. Other's would need a pass.

Ray

Ray Davis
05-30-2007, 06:06 PM
I think it may depend on how many are coming, as to where we might want to go. Ken and Mike were still out (last time I checked) from Kerville. Gary? You able to make it down?

There is a Spaghetti Factory in Fullerton which isn't far. One other thought is the Orange County Mining Company, which sits up on the hills east of Orange. It's about 20 minutes from D-land. Really nice view, but we'd definitely need reservations for a Friday night.

There's several Mexican restaurants around the area, but I'm not really familiar with how good they are.

Ray

jello_jeep
05-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Going into Dland sounds good to me, we havent been there in years, but we are open to digestion.

Jdub & company may have something to say on the matter!:p

Ray Davis
05-30-2007, 07:59 PM
I called Ken and Mike this afternoon. They both left on extended trips after Kerrville, and I wanted to see if they are going to be back in town. Ken is in Colorado, and won't be in the area, however Mike is due in some time Friday afternoon, and would like to join us for dinner.

Disneyland is out for them, as they don't have passes, and the thought of spending $80 per person to eat dinner with you guys, is just not going to happen! :eek:

So, we'll try to find something outside, and as Jerry mentioned in the other thread, something quiet enough we can actually talk without screaming!

I'll call a friend who lives in the area, and see what they suggest.

Ray

garyde
05-30-2007, 11:51 PM
I can make it, if I don't go up to Paso Robles. Let me know when and where. Was Kevin going to make it? It's about 2 hours from Santa Barbara.

Kevin Erion
05-31-2007, 07:51 AM
Sorry I can't join in on the fun, drove the bus and trailer to Elkhart Lake, WI for the race this weekend. I will be flying home on Monday, when do you leave Anaheim?
Kevin

bluevost
05-31-2007, 09:43 AM
Ray, JDUB, jello, etc.

If you want the best ribs in the land have Mike Simmons take you to Tulsa Rib Co. in Anaheim. Small and fairly quite. It will be a meal to remember.

Jerry Winchester
05-31-2007, 09:47 AM
We're boiling out of here on Sunday morning headed to San Francisco. Hate to miss you while we are here, but I know how having to deal with work is.

But I am sure we will be back. I went to a car wash run by strippers yesterday and I think I will go back and have the Hummer detailed today.

Ray Davis
05-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Tulsa Rib Co works for me. What say everyone?

How many do we got, and I'll see if I can make reservations?

Davis' 2
Simmons' 2
Deinhard 2?
Holm 2
Winchester 4? 5?

So, tentatively around 12-13 people?

Ray

Jerry Winchester
05-31-2007, 04:41 PM
Ray,

We are going to leave the girls here, so it will be Rae and I. Let us know when and how to get there. The Rib Co. sounds great.

JDUB

jello_jeep
05-31-2007, 05:42 PM
Is this the place you are talking about??

http://www.tulsarib.com/contact.html

Sounds ok to me!

Ray Davis
05-31-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm also trying to contact the couple we met at POG3 with the mid-door Marathon, Bill & Kathy Meierhoefer. I'll contact them and see if they'd like to join, then I'll check into reservations.

Ray

ps: Jello! Yep, that's it!

Ray Davis
05-31-2007, 09:54 PM
Well, called the Tulsa Rib Co. They only take reservations for 10 or more. OK, we're good so far. Then they tell me, "OH, we only take reservations on Friday for before 5PM". I can't be there at 5PM, so that makes it rough on my end. Not sure when Warren and Kelly are getting into the area.

Also have a call into Bill and Kathy Heldebrant (red mid-door Marathon), waiting for a response.

Any other ideas?

Ray

Jerry Winchester
05-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Ray,

Just call and tell them we are from the POG BBQ Forum and have selected their joint for a review and that they don't have a hair on their ass if they can't fit in some distinguised carnivoirs as ourselves.

Or we can just go over there at a reasonable time and wait and chat. Your call. I think California Adventure closes around 6 anyway, so we will be back in plenty of time.

MangoMike
05-31-2007, 11:02 PM
Ray,

Just call and tell them we are from the POG BBQ Forum and have selected their joint for a review and that they don't have a hair on their ass if they can't fit in some distinguised carnivoirs as ourselves.

Yea, I'm sure that's the first time they've had someone try to pose as a restaurant critic to get a reservation. ;)

Just belly up to the bar and get and cold one and chat.

mm

jello_jeep
06-01-2007, 12:23 AM
We will be pulling into OC earlier in the afternoon, as we didn't want to battle the traffic on Friday afternoon.

Actually we have another dinner deal in the OC on Sat night too, so won't be departing OC until Sunday morning.

Will be occupying some cheesy hotel :)

If the rib joint is crowded, pulling the fire alarm usually frees up some seats quice, and Ray volunteered to do it!! (Being as his bus is red like the pull station) :)

JIM CHALOUPKA
06-01-2007, 07:57 AM
:D
Everyone eat on your own.
Meet somewhere and spend the evening at the bar:eek:

Jerry Winchester
06-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Everyone eat on your own.
Meet somewhere and spend the evening at the bar

We need to work on your social skills Brillo Boy.

jello_jeep
06-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Now, who was 'talkin 'bout RIBS?

Ray Davis
06-01-2007, 11:54 AM
OK, well why don't we do this? Since we can't get reservations, let's meet at JDUB's coach at 6PM (that's about the earliest I can get there). We can either head over to Tulsa from there.

OR two other options.

1. head over to some other restaurant and wait it out.
2. order drive in pizza, and have it delivered to the campground, and we party at the camp?

JDUB, can you post the address and slot number, so we can meet you this evening?

Ray

ps: talked to Bill Meierhoeffer, and he and Kathy are in Phoenix, and cannot make it.

Ray Davis
06-01-2007, 12:01 PM
So, google earth places you at:

110 W Midway Dr
Anaheim, CA 92805

Can't quite get the space number, however!!!

Just north of D-land near Ball & Midway.

jello_jeep
06-01-2007, 12:04 PM
You would think any restaurant would be really happy to have us all, I mean look at how happy we made the crew at Buckhorn!!!

The facial expression in the first shot, is after Jdub had downed a dozen eggs, a pound of bacon, a loaf of bread, a pound of butter, and a gallon of whole milk.... And he approached her for seconds! Those Texas chicks are TOUGH! :)

Jerry Winchester
06-01-2007, 02:49 PM
The actual address is 220 Midway and we are in B2. If 6 works for everyone, we will be here ready to go. It's off I5 at Anaheim Blvd. Turn right (or away from Disneyland) and Midway is past the burger joint on the left. You can kinda make out the RV park sign.

win42
06-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Warren: You came real close to receiving a full POG salute in the above photo. Next time.

garyde
06-03-2007, 01:11 AM
I had a good time visiting with everyone who made it to Jdub's Base Camp. (Warren & Kelly, Mike & Jean, Ray & Kathy, Jerry & Rae,and Gary ) The Ribs were great, thanks Mike. We had a few hours to visit and catch up ,then the Disneyland Fireworks began. I'm wondering how the neighbors get used to Fireworks every week . Jerry and Family are off next to San Simeon, Happy Trails!

Jerry Winchester
06-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Mike comes thru with carryout from the Tulsa Rib Company and we have a great time at Camp JDUB. Thanks to all who came out and especially Gary who drove a long way to get there. In a sweet car.

And some great fireworks. Also thanks for the drinks Jeep.