PDA

View Full Version : Route 66

Ben
05-22-2007, 04:45 AM
Has anyone traveled down much of old Route 66 from Santa Monica to Chicago? I covered a small amount of it in New Mexico and ended up with some great photographs (check out my blog for examples at www.whereisben.com). I'm considering going along the entire route this year unless someone wants to talk me out of it.

dalej
05-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Ben, we have been on just a bit of Rt. 66 in AZ. We would not take a bus on the part we were on. The Road up above Oatman is just made for a Harley or car.

We have wanted to ride that road, but on our Harley. I think if you Google the route, you might find out a lot of info. I know it was a HOG route back in 2003 for the Ride Home that Harley had.

merle&louise
05-22-2007, 08:33 AM
We drove on Route 66 in Tucumcari, NM for a short while. It was kind of cool. Being in the motel business, I got a kick out of the early 60's style of motels. It is amazing to see so many reminders of the past; drive-in hamburger stands, etc. Kind of sad though, because the era that was popularized by the TV show "Happy Days" is gone forever. Fortunately, remnants of it can still be seen on Route 66:D

Ray Davis
05-22-2007, 03:06 PM
There is a very active website and forum on Route 66. Check out http://www.historic66.com/.

There are lots of areas which can be traveled by bus, but there are certainly areas which are not. Going out to POG3 the CA group stayed at the USA RV Park located on Route 66. We also were close to one of the Route 66 museums on our first nights stop near Kingman, AZ.

But, I've got to put my plug in. Watch our movie (Pixar) Cars. It is totally based on Route 66. For those at POG3 who didn't understand the eyeballs in my windshield, and the old truck on the front of the bus, please watch Cars. It will become clear.

There is also supposed to be some great places to eat along the Route. I am hoping to drive some more of it in the very near future.

Ray

dalej
05-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Ray, I loved the movie so much, I went out and bought it. You know like the Oreck guy.

Ray Davis
05-22-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm glad you liked the movie. It's one of my all-time Pixar favorites.

Ray

Lee Bornstein
05-22-2007, 11:03 PM
After POG III we headed north and picked up Route 66 outside of Oklahoma City and drove it to Joplin MO. Lots of small towns, old buildings - some "historic" Route 66 businesses/cafes and such. We like the backroads when we're not in a hurry.

Lee & Barb

bill&jody
05-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Ben, we have been on just a bit of Rt. 66 in AZ. We would not take a bus on the part we were on. The Road up above Oatman is just made for a Harley or car.

We have wanted to ride that road, but on our Harley. I think if you Google the route, you might find out a lot of info. I know it was a HOG route back in 2003 for the Ride Home that Harley had.

I can't believe you are talking about Oatman - we just drove 66 through there yesterday!!! we are visiting friends in Cottonwood Cove (part of Lake Mohave) and they toured us around. no way can a bus towing anything get through some of those curves. they are tough enough with a car. my palms are still sweaty! Ray - that is a great website, i'v been using it a lot.
it is a beautiful area. when you come through all that desert, over the colorado river on 93 at laughlin/Bullhead City line and climb forever (and come back down) head east at searchlight, NV - all of a sudden Lake Mohave and the Col. River come into view - undelievable!
the bus (driver) wasn't too excited about the 6% grade for 12 miles ending with none other that a stop light! like a landing strip!
have fun,
jody