PDA

View Full Version : Romulus/Seneca Army Depot area in NY

rbeecher
05-21-2007, 09:18 PM
In need of information on where to stay/keep bus and trailer for two weeks in mid July. Probably looking for an upper scale resort if available. I am not even sure where Romulus or the Depot are.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Richard Beecher
96 Vogue XL 40 The Beechbus
24' enclosed trailer this trip

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-21-2007, 10:17 PM
In need of information on where to stay/keep bus and trailer for two weeks in mid July. Probably looking for an upper scale resort if available. I am not even sure where Romulus or the Depot are.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Richard Beecher
96 Vogue XL 40 The Beechbus
24' enclosed trailer this trip

Richard, I Google Earthed your place. What is it, an old US Army Arsenal? They used to build them in no mans land:eek: The closest city of any worth is Ithaca, with Cornell University.:)

I seem to recall others complaining of a dearth of RV Parks of any kind in that area. Very beautiful countryside but not even many Motels in the area. Just farms. Contact Lew if he doesn't reply to your request. That's his old stomping ground. You can visit him at the Elmira , NY Fairgound.
What are you going to be doing there if I may ask?

rbeecher
05-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the note.

In addition to the road racing I do, mainly with Porsche Club of America and Historic Sportscar Racing, my wife and I also run Sportscar Club of America autocrosses which were at one time referred to as gymkhanas. There is a National level autocross at the Army Depot the weekend of 7/21. Seneca is typical of the places we run along with airports and old airfields. Devons airbase in Massachussets is another. We'll be coming from a similar event two weeks prior in Milwaukee and then will head to Toledo for a race the week after.

We need to fly back and forth between Ft. Lauderdale and the nearest airport to Romulus so we're open to staying within 100-200 miles.

Richard

garyde
05-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Hi Richard. I met a lady from Oregon who was at Prevost getting her Marathon worked on. She was originally from the New York area. She said there is a RV Park 30 minutes north of the city. I do not remember the name however.

Check outwww.koa.com/where/ny/

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Jim,

Thanks for the note.

In addition to the road racing I do, mainly with Porsche Club of America and Historic Sportscar Racing, my wife and I also run Sportscar Club of America autocrosses which were at one time referred to as gymkhanas. There is a National level autocross at the Army Depot the weekend of 7/21. Seneca is typical of the places we run along with airports and old airfields. Devons airbase in Massachussets is another. We'll be coming from a similar event two weeks prior in Milwaukee and then will head to Toledo for a race the week after.

We need to fly back and forth between Ft. Lauderdale and the nearest airport to Romulus so we're open to staying within 100-200 miles.

Richard
Richard, According to Big Rigs:
Canandaigua?Rochester KOA: We are listing this park because when we visited in july 2003 the owner indicated he was going to build some 50 amp electric only sites in 2004 for short term stays. They will be located in the grassy overflow area and in the 65-75 foot range. Call for details. Two data ports in the cafe. Wireless internet service. Open 4/1-11/15. On I-90, Exit #44. After exiting from toll both, proceed on hwy 332 for 3-2/3 miles to Farmington Townline Road. Take a left and go 1-1/3 miles to the park on the left. 585-398-3582 800-562-0533 koacanan@frontiernet.net
A rough estimate of distance to your race is 30 miles.

Make a general posting about if this is a nice place to stay if you use it!:)

An old air field sounds interesting for a POG Ralley?

rbeecher
05-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Gary and Jim,

Thanks for the great information, I will check out and report back.

Richard

lewpopp
05-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Jim, I live about 50 miles south of Romulus and if you can check out the race schedule at the Watkins Glen track, it may mean a place is open in Watkins Glen NY during that time of there is no race. There's a KOA there which I dislike, but it's there. Watkins is about 25-30 miles south.

I stay in a fairgrounds in Horseheads NY about 18 miles south of Watkins. Always a space there. It seems that The KOA in Canandaguia is much further.

I do not know the availability of campgrounds north of Romulus.

Here's a thought. Sampson Air Force Base (closed, i think ) has a campground and is a few miles from Romulus. I think it is a state campground if you're looking for the listing.

Good luck

Lew

rbeecher
05-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Lew,

Thanks for the tips, I will check them out.

Richard Beecher

rfoster
05-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Richard: So which one of the kids is racing? You or Barbara?

rbeecher
05-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Richard: So which one of the kids is racing? You or Barbara?

Roger,

If it's a road race, me. If it is an autox, both. I've encouraged her to start road racing as it would be nice to have her as a co-driver for the longer races but so far she is passing me up on that offer. It has something to do with being on the track with men (not ME other men) and their behavior around women especially if the woman is faster. Can you imagine?:D

So, Fast Richard huh? Does that mean you are adopting me? You, Jon, and I could burn up the road together.;)

Fast Beechbus Richard