PDA

View Full Version : coach ?

ajhaig
05-20-2007, 02:19 PM
By any chance has anyone seen or know anything about this coach?

http://www.panterracoach.com/sales/details.php?v_id=15&show=164

It has the bunks that we need.

Many thanks.

AJ

Joe Cannarozzi
05-20-2007, 03:35 PM
That bus looks great.

Based on the description tires and batteries are good. Dual inverters, 17.5 gen. 150 gal. fresh water, these accessories are bigger, better than average for that vintage.

New motor, many recent upgrades. Paint job looks good.

I think its a great find, has the floor plan you liked and its a Marathon.

Elkhart is about 1.5 hrs from here, If you would like us to take a look at it for you we could probably get that done. Lemeno.

I'm supprised with all the MPD around here nobody knew that was there.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Joe is right. That looks like a good coach. My initial reaction was that it is a little pricey for its age, but when I read about it and the upgrades even the pricing might be OK.

MangoMike
05-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Definetly worth the look and to verify the service records.

Offer 150k and make it happen.

Mike

Joe Cannarozzi
05-20-2007, 06:52 PM
There is a few things in that discription that I am unfamilure with.

ISRI Drivers seat
Vila pass. Seat
A Cork Floor and a Martin Generator.

Is anyone else familure with these makes?

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-20-2007, 08:55 PM
AJ, I think that bus was made for you.:D You should deffinately take Joe up on his offer to look at it, but I would add that you meet him there and look together!

ASAP

Kevin Erion
05-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Villa is an middle to upper end RV furniture manufacture, good stuff.
Martin Diesel generators are made in Defiance, Ohio. I would take a Martin over a Powertech!
ISRI is a truck seat manufacture, also good stuff.
Kevin

Joe Cannarozzi
05-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks Kev.

No comment on the cork floor? Sounds hard to keep clean.

Ray Davis
05-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Anyone concerned about a 91 coach (probably a 90 model prevost) having only 30,000 miles on it? Seems really low.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Anyone concerned about a 91 coach (probably a 90 model prevost) having only 30,000 miles on it? Seems really low.

Ray, My take on the mileage is this coach was an Entertainer Coach, kinda. The add says George Strait's bus. ( Country Music Singer ) Well it is apparent it is not the ordinary Entertainer. A higher quality than usual with more amenities. The add also states 298K Mi. on th chassis, with 30 K on the engine. That means to me there was a repower at 268K mi. The chassis got aro 18K mi per yr so thats higher than most here like to see, but is below what an ordinary Entertainer, and or Commercial coach sees. If I were seeking a coach with this kind of layout the mileage would not bother me, if the maintenance proved out to be up to recommended frequency and specifications.

FYI The ISRI ( ISRINGHHAUSEN ) seat now seems to be the premium seat of choice for the majority of conversions. It is usually custom reupholstered by ea..

Had a cork floor in a house once, high maintenance, but very quiet. It requires frequent paste wax to keep it in tip top condition.

I think the bus appears in the pictures to be tastefully done with quality components. The proof will be in the inspection.:D

Jon Wehrenberg
05-21-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm fairly sure of the following, but take it with a grain of salt.

If my memory is correct George Strait had that coach built for his personal use. When it was built the living area was not as it is now, but had 4 blue leather "Captain's" chairs for seating.

I suspect it was used when he was touring, but I do not remember if it was so his family could join him, or if it was just a higher quality coach for him rather than the typical entertainer coach.

If I am correct, somewhere deep in the archives of the FMCA magazine is an article on that specific coach and George Strait

ajhaig
05-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks for all the great input. I spoke with the guy at Panterra Coach today. Apparently the motor was replaced in 2001 for about $14,000+ and has been driven (by what sounds like the second owner) for about 30,000 miles since 2001.

One quirk is that there has never been a cook top on the coach and the sink is small (bar style). A larger sink and two burner cook top can be added without much difficulty.

It sounds like it has been very well maintained.

I'm going to try and get out to see it in the next week or so... Joe, I'll give you a call to see if you are around.

If this was an Entertainer (which it was, albeit a high quality one) should it trade at a discount?

Many thanks.

AJ

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-21-2007, 09:12 PM
If this was an Entertainer (which it was, albeit a high quality one) should it trade at a discount?

Many thanks.

AJ[/QUOTE]

AJ, I think not. This is not the ordinary striped, bare bones entertainer bus. Of course try to get the best price you can, but after all this is a Marathon conversion. You have windows and most of the amenities you require.

It would be easier and cheaper to add the missing sink and stove then to buy a different bus and reconfigure it to have the bunk beds.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-21-2007, 09:13 PM
I think it is a bit of a stretch to call this floor plan an entertainer.

The fact that you will have to upgrade the kitchen(that is currently set up like many VIP charter kitchens) should help drive the price down some but a true entertainer has 12 to 15 bunks creating conciderable work to set it up for motorhome, hence the greatly lower prices for them.

If anything this camper actually has elements of all 3 floor plans
Entertainer, VIP Charter and Motorhome.

Is AJ nearing that eureka moment?

Maaaaaaaybeeeee.

May the force be with you.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-22-2007, 07:57 AM
AJ, I cannot speak for others, but in the context of our discussions here an entertainer coach in my opinion is a completely different conversion than a motorhome conversion such as the Marathon you are looking at.

First, the converters that made our coaches install systems that make the coach self contained and that are appropriate for someone to live in. They are built durably for a long life. The floor plan rarely varies from a front living room, center kitchen, followed by a bath area, and in the rear, a master bedroom.

The driver's area is open to the living area.

An entertainer coach is primarily built for the band or technicians. The interior is more institutional in design and construction. The layout is often created to provide the maximum number of sleeping spaces, with a front sitting area, a small snack area, bunks and bath area, and a rear sitting area or stateroom.

The driver area is often enclosed and separate from the rest of the coach. While the occupants are sleeping or relaxing, a professional driver is up front pounding the highway.

The converters of entertainer coaches generally do not make motorhomes.

The systems in an entertainer coach are minimal, and bay space for the storage of equipment or instruments is more highly prized than having lots of batteries or inverters or holding tank capacity.