PDA

View Full Version : Resource List

bluevost
05-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Hey POGgers,

I think the time is right to put a resource list of our members together. Names, addresses, phone numbers, etc.

Here's a scenario:

Janet and I are westbound on I-40 leaving NC for TN. At mile marker 18, I get a CHECK ENGINE and STOP ENGINE light on the dash. I move over to the side of the highway, and before I come to a stop the engine has shut off. OH S--T! Now what? I call Prevost in Whites Creek, TN, they are little or no help, they tell me to call a DD place in Knoxville. Now I know Roger and Mickey live fairly close by, and I know A1 Jon and Di live somewhat close by, but I have no phone numbers for them. Or anyother POGers for that matter. Maybe Roger could have put me on to a service facility. As it turns out, Covington Diesel Inc. did a great job. Stephen there told me that I probably had a bad Oil Pressure Sensor, baby the rig into Knoxville, save a $600 road service charge, see me in the morning. He had a man on it at 8:30, an hour and 1/4 later we were on the road. $80.00 for the part, $97.00 for labor.
Put this place in your GPS:
Covington Power Systems
1429 Ault Rd.
Knoxville, TN 37914
865 689-3722
Exit 392B, I-40 Knoxville, TN

How do you feel about putting a "phone book" together of our members? For instance, Janet and I live in Orange County, as most of you know. We have 50 amp electrical at the house. Problem is the driveway is too steep to level the coach. But, we have two bedrooms with private baths to choose from. We would love to have drop-ins from POGers. I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to fixing a broken bus.

Give me your feedback. This is something Jim Skiff and I have talked about a couple of times.

What information should be included? Name, address, phone #. Bus parking?
Shop available? Hook ups for EWS? DKAFE (don't know ass from elbow)

Only those who respond would be listed. If you don't want to be listed, no problem, don't respond.

How say you??

Ken

rmboies
05-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Ken and Janet,

Wow, sorry about the problems with your coach and glad you were able to get it fixed. You and Janet were only about an hour away from us as well and it sure would have helped you to have Rogers' contact info as he and Micki were even closer.....

I think a directory is a great idea and agree that people can opt to be included or not. Sign Bob-03/00 and me up:D Where would you suggest we send our info?

garyde
05-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Hi Ken and Janet. Great idea on both counts. I live at the end of a culdesac with room in front of my home or backing into my driveway next to my bus.

truk4u
05-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Ken,

That's exactly why I tried to get this going before, but it went nowhere!:mad: In addition to breakdowns, there's always the possibility that someone will get sick or have a medical problem and the spouse may need help with the bus or whatever.

Skiffer has tried to get a directory going, but gets no support. I think it's one of the most important items we could have in the group. I don't understand why someone would be reluctant to provide at least a phone number and town/city of residence to help someone while on the road.

Let's get this going, it's important....

Ray Davis
05-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Great idea, but I think the printed manual woudl get out of date quickly. I could pretty easily write a database based program for the website which members could update themselves, and lookup and search when they needed help? It could be tied into the tracking stuff we discussed in another thread.

With a little work, it could also print out pages for those who want hard copy.

As we saw, you seemed to have internet access, and might have been able to get online and look for help?

Ray

ps: Glad to hear that you're OK!!! I called once to talk to you guys!

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-18-2007, 11:01 PM
Glad you found good service Ken and got out of harms way in a timely manner!
Not everyone is able to repair a bus, but moral support and just knowing you are not in the situation all alone is meaningful.
Dale has the POG map and periodically asks for willful members to send him their contact info.
So far there are only six respondents. Does this tell you anything about the members? Even You who is now advocating this kind of thing is not listed. Maybe it was not publicized enough and and is not well known. I don't know. Maybe no one wants to be listed? Some want to maintain their anonymity and remain incognito and that is their right! For those that want to be listed there exists a list. :eek:

:D JIM

rfoster
05-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Ken: So Sorry to hear of your trouble. Would have been glad to help had I known. I only gave out approximately 100 Ball Point Pens and another 50 calendars at POG3 with my office number. Anytime some one needs my help on the road in this area you can always call my office -((423 764 1924) somebody can get me in touch with you.

My personal cell is 423 340-0498 . We are in the extreme N.E. corner of Tenn (I-81) at the VA, NC, border and very close to the Ky line. 63 miles from I-40, and about 8 miles from I-26

I would have sent you to Covington Diesel as well. They have done me good in the past (as long as I take out a 2nd Mortgage). I also have A1 Jons number and we can always call him for you. He is great!

Had I been in your area I would have called 818 26--5025. On Mickis phone from the Grand Canyon trip.

So Glad to hear that is was not as serious as it could have been. And to top it off I went to Knoxville and back today.

I agree with you 100 percent about the help while on the road, we need to use DaleJ,s map more with Numbers. :cool:

Dale J , Post my numbers on the map in case somebody needs me to call A1

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Great idea, but I think the printed manual woudl get out of date quickly. I could pretty easily write a database based program for the website which members could update themselves, and lookup and search when they needed help? It could be tied into the tracking stuff we discussed in another thread.

With a little work, it could also print out pages for those who want hard copy.

As we saw, you seemed to have internet access, and might have been able to get online and look for help?

Ray

ps: Glad to hear that you're OK!!! I called once to talk to you guys!

Ray, I like all that you offer. Could you somehow integrate it into the map, which would very quickly at a glance indicate who might be the best and first choice to contact?:confused:
:) JIM

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-19-2007, 01:29 AM
Some of us have already sent information to Dale to put on the POG Map, and some have not?

Why hasn't more of us done it????? :confused: :(

Someone said, It is up to each one of us, IF, we want to be of help in a crisis or not?

I personally believe everyone in this group would be willing to help anyone in need, NOW, we just have to make that information easier to access and available.

JUST DO IT ! :)

Gary S.

Jeff Bayley
05-19-2007, 08:20 AM
I didn't know the map got reset or something. I've been off the forum for a while and the last time I saw the map it has a bunch of memebers on it. Now it only has a half dozen ? Hmmm.

I'll send dale a PM to put us down for NYC where we've been for 3 weeks and are leaving on Monday for Florida. Would like to stop along the way and say hi to some POG'ers since we missed the ralley. If I know where all the helpful people are then I can wait until I'm near their place in order to do something really silly to the bus that is likely to make it coast to a stop. he,he.

I'll look for the newest version of the map now on the site somewhere.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-19-2007, 08:21 AM
I agree with a resource list 100%.

I know there are some members that do not want their cell phones or email addresses public, but there are a bunch of us that are rpefectly willing to make ourselves available to someone that needs help.

I suggest if Ray is willing that we provide him with whatever information he needs to start a list. Yes, it will require occasional updating, but if he is willing we can deal with that down the road.

I think it can be integrated with Dale's map.

For those who provide information they are entitled to the list. For those who wish to keep their information private, they do not get the list. If Ray does not mind, he can regulate it by sending the list out only to those that contribute. If the circulation of the list is controlled I will offer all my phone numbers, my address, and both our email addresses. Anybody else?

Further, perhaps someone can figure a way to include all the contact information for Prevost, converters, dealers, suppliers (such as Cruise Air), etc.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-19-2007, 09:15 AM
I didn't know the map got reset or something. I've been off the forum for a while and the last time I saw the map it has a bunch of memebers on it. Now it only has a half dozen ? Hmmm.

I'll send dale a PM to put us down for NYC where we've been for 3 weeks and are leaving on Monday for Florida. Would like to stop along the way and say hi to some POG'ers since we missed the ralley. If I know where all the helpful people are then I can wait until I'm near their place in order to do something really silly to the bus that is likely to make it coast to a stop. he,he.

I'll look for the newest version of the map now on the site somewhere.

Jeff and others, In the upper right corner of the page click on Quick Links and then POG map. Da Dah:cool:

bluevost
05-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks everyone for the response. I'll get with Ray via e-mail and get the ball rolling.

Roger, I am looking at one of your pens now. Believe me when I say this pen never entered my mind when 18 wheelers were whizzing by, practically taking my mirror off. But, I'll remember it next time!!

I think it is most important to keep all the personal information strictly confidential. I like Jons suggestion, those that participate are those that get the resource list.

Will be in touch, leaving Hot Springs, AR for Tulsa, OK.

Ken

bluevost
05-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Truk-

Really good thoughts regarding a medical emergency. Physical breakdowns can be way more debilitating than mechanical ones.

Ken

rfoster
05-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Ken: I hate we missed getting together while you were in the area. I sure would have enjoyed another one or two those magarita you make!

Drive Safe

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-19-2007, 07:45 PM
My information is on the POG Map site, but if I need to send it to Ray directly, I will. Just let me know?

We live in Houston and while I may not be as mechanically helpfull as JDUB, who lives on the North side of Houston, I will do all that I can do for anyone in our area of town.

Gary S

Ray Davis
05-19-2007, 10:23 PM
I'll start looking into this guys. What I am proposing is something that would allow each of us to update our own online information. Kind of like the user profile here, but more information.

You don't need to send anything to me. When I get something ready, you would enter whatever info you want yourselves. As info changes, you would update it too.

Ray

Jon Wehrenberg
05-20-2007, 07:58 AM
How do we keep the information available only to those who enter their data? How do we prevent the information from being dispersed not only to those who do not wish to participate, but the world at large?

Can data down loaded by someone carry an identifier so if someone downloads the list, and then chooses to send copies to people not authorized to have the list, we can know who sent the copies?

Right now, this page I am typing on has my name on it and how I am logged in. If I were to send a copy of this page to someone my name would remain attached. That would discourage someone from sharing information with someone not really entitled to that information.

Jim_Scoggins
05-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Count me in:
Perhaps a simple spread sheet format to start and email it back out just to the participants.

Jim and Lindsey Scoggins
207 Montpelier Dr
Stafford, Va 22556
540 752 1154 H
540 846 9028 C

place to park an emergency guest

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-20-2007, 08:15 AM
How do we keep the information available only to those who enter their data? How do we prevent the information from being dispersed not only to those who do not wish to participate, but the world at large?

Can data down loaded by someone carry an identifier so if someone downloads the list, and then chooses to send copies to people not authorized to have the list, we can know who sent the copies?

Right now, this page I am typing on has my name on it and how I am logged in. If I were to send a copy of this page to someone my name would remain attached. That would discourage someone from sharing information with someone not really entitled to that information.

You forgot one variation Jon. An anonymous person gains access to the list and data by entering the list as a qualified user, but with a fictitious name and or qualifying data!!:eek:

truk4u
05-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks Ray, glad this is finally on it's way!;)

Ray Davis
05-20-2007, 03:20 PM

Jon,

We could do this by using the protections already built into the POG forum software. I have NOT cleared this with Jim Skiff, so at this moment, this is a bit pie-in-the-sky. At Pixar we purchased an earlier copy of the vBulletin forum software. I extended that software for things like authorized software downloads, online documentation access, all using the protections of the forum, and sometimes extending that to a person by person basis.

SO, this is very possible. To make it happen, however, I would need approval and access from Jim Skiff.

Ray