PDA

View Full Version : Zip Dee Awning

Jerry Winchester
03-02-2006, 07:55 PM
I have to change out the lock mechanism and the rafter arm on the back end of my Zip Dee awning. Is this a two man job or is there a trick? The damn thing swarms on me every time I pull it out, so hopefully these parts will fix it up.

Any one have any tacit knowledge or a useful indian trick?

lewpopp
03-02-2006, 08:48 PM
To be safe, it is a two man job.

You'll need a ladder about the height of the outside edge of you awning when it is open. Have somone steady that while you unhook the arm from the coach.

Carefylly unwind the arm at the end of the awning and count the number of revolutions you make. My 19' awning formula is 19 turns plus 7. Zip Dee gave me that formula and it may take a turn or so to get the awning to fold the way you want.

After you replace the lock and end, wind the arm the length in footage plus 7.

I just replaced my stabilizer arm that goes to the roof and I had to install 2 pop rivets.

Should be a piece of cake for you and if you have further questions, call Zip Dee. They are very helpful.:)

Jon Wehrenberg
03-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Lew is right. It is not difficult, but you have to be aware that when you wind up the spring things will get exciting if you let go.

When ZipDee sends the brake kit (lock kit) they include instructions and pop rivets. You will have to unfurl the awning, and what I did was slide the arm out of its other telescoping part and carefully unwind it. Count the turns as you unwind it.

Then it is a simple matter of drilling out the old end, replacing it, rewinding it (go a turn or two more if it doesn't want to start retracting because the spring does relax a little), slide the arm back in its other half and away you go.

When Lew mentions two people that is not necessary, but remember there is a lot of risk balancing on a ladder doing some of this stuff with a spring wound arm. Having two people will save you the trouble of posting how you got beat about the head and body by a rotating awning arm as you fell from the ladder. That would make you a black and blue geek.:D

lewpopp
03-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Again, Jon has hit the nail on the head with removing the slide-on piece, but...please don't try it alone, I don't care how god-like you are. Much, much easier with two and the beer is easier to reach.