PDA

View Full Version : American Coach?

ajhaig
05-17-2007, 06:16 PM
I took a day trip yesterday from Boston to Columbus to look at a 1988 Prevost. I thought I was going to see a Liberty, it turned out to be an American Coach.

I don't know anything about American Coach (or any coaches for that matter), I believe the company is no longer in business. I'd be interested in any thoughts about this conversion company.

The coach itself was a bit more "tired" than I expected, but it may work.

Ray Davis
05-17-2007, 07:29 PM
I believe this thread covered that conversion ....

http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501&highlight=American+Coach

Jon Wehrenberg
05-17-2007, 08:49 PM
AJ,

Ray's link says it all. That vintage coach you are looking at is from the time when the Maceys owned American.

A the time they built a solid honest coach. It lacked some of the refinement of the decor that was available in a Marathon, Liberty or Country but the systems were reliable.

But 20 years is a long time and throughout the years owners tend to start modifying and jury rigging things. There are some great bargains in that vintage coach, but as a buyer you really need to be very confident everything works and that any modifications were done properly.

ajhaig
05-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Jon,

Most of the updating on this coach is superficial interior stuff, the layout is unconventional as they added triple bunks and some funky seats upfront for children. The lay out will work very well for us, but I'm concerned that there is a very limited market for this type of layout should we want to sell it.

It's so original that the name of the first owner (Butch) is still written on the exterior of the drivers side and his wife's name is on the passenger side.

I'm a bit concerned that the second owner never removed the names... I recognize that this is a trivial thing to point out but it seems to me that that would be one of the first things that someone would change.

rfoster
05-17-2007, 09:33 PM
A. Haig: I agree with your observation regarding the coach when the new owner does not remove the previous owners names. That indicates a lack of Pride of Ownership which encompasses all things regarding that vehicle. From required maintenance, repairs, and preventative maintenance. I would continue to search for the 'Right Coach'

Yeah, that's my two cents.

Joe Cannarozzi
05-17-2007, 09:39 PM
A J

I think you should continue to persue a bus like the one with the 3 bunks stacked, that so interested you, like the one you just looked at.

If the bus is tired, I don't think that the price they are asking reflects it. If it is from a converter that no longer exzists the price does not reflect that either.

Full-timing for a period of time, with bunks, with the 2 little ones would be much more comfortable at bedtime. Without bunks either they are sleeping with you or loose the livingroom. IMHO that would be O/K for a short camping trip but not fulltiming.

The right floorplan may be one of the biggest conciderations for many, with good reason.

If ya wanted to sacrifice for a while till they get a little older, you can then turn that first bay into a KIDS room adding a trap door to get down. That way you could look for a standard floor plan. It doesn't matter where they are sleeping upstairs if your driving and when you are stopped, and its time for bedyby, you send them into the bedroom below.

Just a thought, wanna make sure you get every angle:eek:

Has anyone seen any of these latley? A rear bedroom/w 1 set of bunks along the hall.

I,ve never seen one with a b/r down in the front bay, for sale, but I know they are out there. I suppose one could convert an empty front bay to a childs bedroom without too much involved, or you could get carried away with the idea as well. I'll bet you the folks at creative interiors where you looked at that 88 could shed some lite.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-18-2007, 06:45 AM
AJ, if you are looking for a bunk coach you will pay less because there is a very small demand for that type of conversion and that will offset the hit you will take in a resale.

Roger's advice is on target.