PDA

View Full Version : Surge Protected Or Not

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-16-2007, 07:02 AM
Just from a general information standpoint. Do the converted Prevost coaches have as standard a built-in Surge Protector?:confused:

Is it necessary to plug the 50A. cord into a portable Surge Guard at the power pedestal?

dale farley
05-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Jim, After hearing several horror stories, I decided to order one for my bus. I saw the one that Jim Keller had on his bus at Kerrville, and I really liked it.

It is a 50A version that gives a constant reading of voltage and amperage on each of the 2 lines. It automatically shuts the power down if the voltage goes too high or low, then it turns it back on if the problem corrects itself. Many places sell this unit for $350 to $400, but I got mine from Tweety's RV for $289. It comes with a locking collar so you can secure it to the pole. It is made by Progressive Industries in North Carolina. Mine is the model PT50. You can also get the hardwired models. It is also very helpful in seeing how much current you are drawing at any given time.

Here are a couple llinks: http://www.tweetys.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6771

Comparison chart: http://viprv.com/ems/ems-chart.htm

JIM KELLER
05-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Jim, After hearing several horror stories, I decided to order one for my bus. I saw the one that Jim Keller had on his bus at Kerrville, and I really liked it.

It is a 50A version that gives a constant reading of voltage and amperage on each of the 2 lines. It automatically shuts the power down if the voltage goes too high or low, then it turns it back on if the problem corrects itself. Many places sell this unit for almost $350 to $400, but I got mine from Tweety's RV for $289. It comes with a locking collar so you can secure it to the pole. It is made by Progressive Industries in North Carolina. Mine is the model PT50. You can also get the hardwired models. It is also very helpful in seeing how much current you are drawing at any given time.

Here are a couple llinks: http://www.tweetys.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6771

Comparison chart: http://viprv.com/ems/ems-chart.htm

O.K. DALE, YOU ARE THE MAN ! I paid $350.00 for mine and I thought I was getting a good price because I bought it at a R.V. Show. From now on I'm calling you before I order anything. In fact, you need to start a new business. Call it R.V.Parts Resource Center. Put Paulette in charge of shipping and receiving. She can hire Karen part time !

dale farley
05-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Jim, You know if we had Paulette and Karen in the same place, they wouldn't get any work done. Karen would be leading Paulette astray to do something like "Shopping".

MangoMike
05-16-2007, 01:16 PM
RR,

Thanks for the info. After listening to the talk by the tech guy at POG III I knew I was living on the edge. I was all set to get one as listed in this months brochure from Campers World then read your post.

Again my $100 membership to POG has paid off.

Thanks for posting the info.

MM

dale farley
05-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Mike, I'm glad that I have finally given a little help to someone else. Maybe it will bring some balance to all help I've received.

nrhareiner
05-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Just an interesting story.as you know from POG III I always use the surge protector with the coach. We are at a state fairgrounds for a horse show. we are plugged into 50 amps. Three days ago major power surge. My surge protector sacrificed itself, but saved the bus. Two other Prevosts not as lucky with major electrical damage. A 65,000 volt line crossed with a 12,000 volt line and sent major power surge.

I have to buy new protector (actually already did prior to seeing the new post reference a better price), but that is cheap compared to the bill for the other Prevosts.

Kim Sloan
02 Vantare XLII S2
06 dodge megacab

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the reply Dale. I can't believe I actually asked a pertinent and timely question!:eek:
Not having a bus I was just wondering about that in a general way. I was expecting comments to be; The converters have that covered, after all that's one of the things that makes the bus so costly! Besides they think of everything for pease of mind and trouble free camping:confused: :eek: :D

Lee Bornstein
05-16-2007, 05:19 PM
From what I've read, surge suppressor on the post does not cure/prevent all surge problems. Static Shock inside coach is not blocked by the suppressor on power pedestal. Recommend all electronivc devices be protected as well.

Read the following article on whole house surge supression:
http://www.panamax.com/literature/pdf/wholehousesystem.pdf

Lee

lewpopp
05-16-2007, 11:05 PM
I installed the unit from Progressive Industries last summer and have been very pleased with it. It is permanently installed in-line so I won't have to worry about securing it at the post.

This unit will protect the coach from outside disasters with out sacrificing itself. No need to replace it. The Hughes unit is not really a surge protector as I understand it from knowledgeable engineers.

When there is a failure, it will tell you what the problem was on the remote which I installed in the overhead dash area. Neat, I can always monitor what power is being used on each leg and still get all of the protection.

Lew