PDA

View Full Version : Granite flooring

ken&ellen
05-11-2007, 01:02 PM
After a long search we found a company to do our carpeting within budget. Now we would like some direction on getting granite flooring installed. Anyone with a recommodation or someone to share an experience....good or bad. If you have done it yourself.....let us know and post some pictures. Thanks. Ken & Ellen.

Lee Bornstein
05-11-2007, 01:34 PM
BrianE and his wife Beverly recently had granite floor job done on his coach. Looked at it at POG III and it's beautiful.

Brian had the work done in Oregon.

Brian Checks in on the board regularly and he can give you more info.

Lee

BrianE
05-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi Ken & Ellen,

Check Lee's thread "Wife Wants Tile Floor". There is a good discussion there including some pics I posted on how our tile installer handled the job.

We have been very happy with the tile and the radiant heating that is under it. We were initially concerned about the additional weight and the total increase of about about 600 lbs has taken the steer axle to a little over 12k lbs (max 13k). I haven't been able to detect any difference in performance or steering however.

I would be happy to PM additional pics if you'd like them or to send any further info I have. The only bad news for you folks is that we had our work done in Coburg, OR and Larry Oberfael our installer and cabinetmaker is usually booked up several months in advance.

mike kerley
05-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Ken and Ellen,

We also just had Granite installed, from the bedroom to the entrance. Some of the members had a peek at it in Kerrville. We shopped for the most recommended installer we could find, then were able to challenge him to try something new. We think it worked out great. We took up Marble that was in the galley and bathroom and this process is really messy, so you may want to wait on your carpet if any old flooring is coming up. There is some dust!!!

Our coach gained a little over 400 lbs on the steer axle (so far) and is just within limits.

Our installer used a fairly common cement for the base and a special latex grout that bends and stays flexible. After 3,000 miles round trip to Kerrville, nothing cracked or crumbled and I-10 gave it a good test.

Feel free to call or e-mail if you have more questions. The installer who did ours lives in Stuart Florida, and is booked about 2 months in advance.

Mike Kerley 772-201-7344

rmboies
05-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Hey Ken and Ellen:

We are currently in the process of extending our marble flooring to make a walkway to the front of the coach. Millennium usually does this with their later coaches and ours must have missed the start date:D

Here is the information I was given on what to use for either tile, marble, granite, or any other ceramic or stone.

The adhesive is called Granirapid and it is manufactured by MAPEI.

http://www.mapei.it/referenze/Multimedia/113_granirapid_gb.pdf

It is a two part latex process and has an additive flexitive agent. You can also use a certain grout that has more flexibility and seal then seal the seams.

Bob has the carpet out, a template made and is hoping he doesn't have to actually do the installation! I have two people who can likely do it for us. After the walkway is installed, we will add new carpet and should be finished with updates for now, just in time for Bob00/03 to sell it:rolleyes:

Oh, and thanks for the link to the Blue Grass jam....we won't be able to make it to the next one since the coach is in design mode but hopefully the next one will be on our list!

Jeff & (Ro)Bert(a)
05-16-2007, 02:39 PM
My wife has a designer tile and stone store in Tampa so we know about the material, not installing in a bus. Here is my 2 cents anyway. Thin (3/8 to 1/2 inche) Granite tiles are available. The larger the size the thicker they will be. Pay for a good gauged and square cut material. Any good craftsman with a good wet saw can do the job. In boats we adhere with expoxy. I would assume the same applies to the coach. Normally not to have grout seams you "mud" set and butt the joints. Mud set is used to adjust the height of all edges so no lips. Takes time and some skill. Not sure how to do so with epoxy or if you could just mud set in the coach. I will ask an installer if you need more info.