PDA

View Full Version : Is there an easy way to install a wheel?

dale farley
05-09-2007, 01:37 PM
It took me and Paulette about 2 hours to get my outside drive wheel on. Is there some procedure that I should be following to make things easier? The shocks were relatively easy, the drive wheels are killing me. I know there is probably no real easy way to install the drive wheel, but I must be doing something wrong!

BrianE
05-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Dale,

You need a wheel dolly. http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/13815.htm

Kevin Erion
05-09-2007, 01:49 PM
I jack the bus only about 1/2" or less off the ground, just enough to see daylight. I also use a large tire iron to help lift the tire onto the hub and studs. Make sure to have the inner and outer wheel valve stems 180 degrees from each other.
Kevin

dalej
05-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Dale, Kevin sounds like he does it the very same way I do. It's easy to adjust the hub height rather then muscle the tire and wheel.

If you have your whole bus supported then the different hubs are easy to raise and lower, your not working with the weight of the bus.

I support the bus about two inches higher then road height so the tires come out and go in easy.

I use a two foot tire iron to work the tire and wheel into place.

Two hours sounds like one hour and fourty five minutes to long.

call me if you need anything...402.756.2000

dale farley
05-09-2007, 02:22 PM
I will try the other side using your suggestions, and see how things go. Much better, I hope. Thanks.

dalej
05-09-2007, 02:24 PM
I forgot the part about letting the air out of the system once the bus is raised and supported.

dale farley
05-09-2007, 06:03 PM
I finished a couple hours ago, and it feels good to have all new shocks and all the wheels back on the bus. I had caused my own problem with getting the wheels back on. Since my jacks are a little too tall to go under the support brakcets, I thought it would be better to drive up on 4 inches of plywood. That did work out good for the jacks, but was murder trying to get the wheels on. After reading the posts, I removed the boards, and allowed about an inch of clearance, and it took about 10 minutes to get the wheels on. It also helped that I had an extra pair of hands (Paulette) to help.

It now just feels good to be clean and back among the living. Thanks for everyone's support and input.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-13-2007, 09:19 AM
The Northern tool Brian posted is a back saver and a time saver. Anyone contemplating removing and replacing their wheels routinely should have one. I guess the device should be considered as an accessory for the 1" impact wrench.

Before I had that I used a 4' length of 1" pipe to lever the tires up into position and that works but nowhere near as easy. For storage I hang the tire tool on the wall.

dale farley
05-13-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm convinced that the wheel dolly is a nice tool to have. I ordered one a couple days ago. It should make it much easier the next time Paulette has to change a wheel.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Dale,

Are you letting her out of the rear of the bus?

dale farley
05-13-2007, 10:01 PM
She'll probably want to ride up front since she helped with the shock job.

dalej
05-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Dale, I'm proud of you and tell Paulette that she is one in a million.

dale farley
05-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Dalej, I noticed Jan helps you also. Maybe its because Paulette and Jan are both married to Dales.