PDA

View Full Version : forum

twslp
07-03-2023, 11:32 AM
WHY HAS IT GOTTON SO QUIET ON THE SITE.?.

PrevostNewbie
07-03-2023, 11:43 AM
Good Question, I have noticed this here also, that being said the engagement on other sites has been increasing. If you look at the Home page, you can see how may visitors are currently viewing topics. For me I still check in daily to see what else I can learn.

twslp
07-03-2023, 11:13 PM
same here. just not as busy as once was.

BGLogistics
07-07-2023, 05:27 PM
I think a lot of discussion has moved to FB forum. Not a huge FB fan, but I do follow this group there along with others that once had active online sites until FB got so popular.

PrevostNewbie
07-07-2023, 06:59 PM
Facebook does have some good info but not like this site does. I am a member of all the Prevost, Bus, Wanderlodge, Bluebird, Detroit and many other FB groups and IMO 75% of the stuff is either completely incorrect, someone with an agenda, or t-shirt sales. Here on this site, I think we have somehow lost the community part of what was an amazing place to come, chat, and talk busses. If you go back and read posts from the early days there was lots of technical and non technical bus related interaction amongst the members. I don't feel we do a very good job of that anymore, can it be fixed, sure it can. An example I have today of a thriving forum based site is the Wanderlodge Owners Group site. This site has sometimes a hundred posts a day. These guys are engaging and passionate about what they have and what they do. We get together in January every year, 50 busses or so in our group and talk busses most of the time we are there. These guys host Tech talks, Tool discussions, and many other fun activities to bring people together. I hope we can build a community here like it was in the Heyday but it will take all of us.

dale farley
07-07-2023, 07:56 PM
I also agree that things have been a little quieter than normal. We always go through cycles of ups and downs, and the different seasons of the year have an impact on participation on the forum. Many members just read and never post, and there is nothing wrong with that. This site has always been known for the willingness of members to help each other by answering questions and providing input that usually leads to a resolution of any particular problem. Most of the threads on the forum are started in response to a problem or question someone is dealing with. Hopefully, everyone will get back in the swing of things and share their knowledge as well as their good and bad bus experiences so others can learn from them.

twslp
07-07-2023, 10:59 PM
yes, well said. I am not a fb reader. see some things on the site but do not follow it. and I do go to the other sites and have found some good info. this site is my favorite. and I am guilty of not sharing as much as I should. will try to do better. thanks everyone...

Jamie Bradford
07-08-2023, 08:11 AM
Hi Gang,

I have noticed over the years that things do get quiet sometimes - - but it always seems to pick back up at some point.

There are a lot of very smart people looking at the site every day - some just choose not to post.

The main difference between this site & the Facebook page is that FB is like being at a cocktail party - everyone has something to say whether they know what they are talking about or not. Kinda like being in the check out lane at Wal Mart. There are some on the FB page who do know what they are talking about and will comment there - but they usually come over to POG and can elaborate in more depth with those who better understand what they are talking about.

The other main difference between the two platforms is that even if someone does have a good - pertinent - point you will be hard pressed to find that info later - too much chatter. On the POG Forum you can search the database for most any questions you may have concerning a Prevost - the Forum has been online for about 25 years and the database is HUGE. Again - there are a lot of people who access the site every day and they are just searching the database for information - they never post.

Thanks

Jamie

drivfour
07-08-2023, 10:25 AM
I miss the posting of Joe Camper the most!

bussphart
07-08-2023, 06:28 PM
Me too. I always enjoyed reading his posts. What happened to him anyway?

Ck2hans
07-09-2023, 08:51 AM
Last I heard, Joe retired and in enjoying life along with redoing his beloved Peter built.

With out POG we wouldn't have Prevost Expo...
Chuck

captain2107
07-09-2023, 02:14 PM
Well as a relatively new Prevost owner going into our third year, this site has been invaluable in helping me learn and understand various things about my coach. As mentioned earlier there may be other options but the reliability of the information and vast knowledge base of all things Prevost is second to none and this is my go to. I don't post much overall as usually what I need is already here and easily found.

CT1
07-10-2023, 05:53 PM
Had him at the house working on the H3 about a month ago.

bussphart
07-10-2023, 06:30 PM
Good. Glad to hear he's "still kicking"!

MIsheeTX
07-10-2023, 07:13 PM
WHY HAS IT GOTTON SO QUIET ON THE SITE.?.

Was wondering the same thing. Trying to contribute more, and this site is by and far the best for it. Do not have other unsocial media, so rely on this info here.

Fredo
07-12-2023, 09:27 PM
I read the forms every day, very valuable information, but I do not post much

MikeKim
07-13-2023, 11:33 AM
After years of searching we’ve only recently purchased our coach. I check in almost daily to read any new posts and often spend hours reading old posts trying to figure out systems etc. Hopefully we’ll know enough to contribute in the future.
Thank you all for contributing to such a wealth of knowledge!

Three5ives
11-24-2023, 05:04 PM
Facebook does have some good info but not like this site does. I am a member of all the Prevost, Bus, Wanderlodge, Bluebird, Detroit and many other FB groups and IMO 75% of the stuff is either completely incorrect, someone with an agenda, or t-shirt sales. Here on this site, I think we have somehow lost the community part of what was an amazing place to come, chat, and talk busses. If you go back and read posts from the early days there was lots of technical and non technical bus related interaction amongst the members. I don't feel we do a very good job of that anymore, can it be fixed, sure it can. An example I have today of a thriving forum based site is the Wanderlodge Owners Group site. This site has sometimes a hundred posts a day. These guys are engaging and passionate about what they have and what they do. We get together in January every year, 50 busses or so in our group and talk busses most of the time we are there. These guys host Tech talks, Tool discussions, and many other fun activities to bring people together. I hope we can build a community here like it was in the Heyday but it will take all of us.

I was an admin on WOG for many years, and you're right - it's a totally different vibe. WOG is incredibly active and just an amazing community - not nearly as fractured as the Prevost community is. FB POG is by far the most active but as previously mentioned - there's a lot of noise, but at least you do get a response in two or three hours. But FB is just not the right tool for organized technical discussion.

A couple of key things that I think helped WOG become what it is today are: 1. The FB WOG admin(s) are pretty aggressive at pushing all technical discussion to the forum, simply because most of the Wanderlodge brain trust is only on the forum and it's a better tool for information storage, search and retrieval, and archive. 2. The WOG owner also owns the Wanderlodge IP and is hyper active on the forum, he does not do FB. So if you want access to his knowledge and his ability to source parts, you need to be on the forum.

The biggest challenge going forward for WOG is new (young) owners are challenged by the vBulletin forum UI, its image handling clunkiness, and the lack of a really good mobile app.