View Full Version : NC to Bar Har Bor Me route

georgew
06-16-2023, 10:55 PM
Any advice on travel from NC to Bar Harbor ME
which route to use or avoid

georgiapeachinc
06-17-2023, 06:30 PM
Hey George,
You are pretty much stuck with I-95. I ran the I-95 corridor for years and it's brutal. It's all about timing if you want to avoid the drag race on I-95 during the day through NJ, NY, CT, and MA. Maine is not too bad. Plan your trip to travel after 7:00 P.M. through those states and stay in the middle lane or you will get clobbered with idiots entering the interstate every couple of miles. I don't like to be a negative nanny but it's the reality up there.
I have been to Bar Harbor and taken the ferry to Nova Scotia. It's a wonderful trip if you decide to go there. Ferry trip is fun! Take some cushions. the ferry seats are uncomfortable if you don't get good seats!

Ck2hans
06-18-2023, 10:07 AM
George:

We go from central FL to western Massachusetts (to my in-laws) at least every other year. My preferred route is I-81 to Scranton PA, then I-84 to Gardnertown, NY, then I-87 to I-90 just South of Albany NY. From there I go East on I-90 back towards Boston.

On the map it looks like it is going way off track, It adds 6 to 8 hours (depending on your driving and traffic),BUT the traffic is way less, there are no tolls (just the savings in tolls alone will pay for the added fuel you will use) and it’s a beautiful and more relaxing drive.

I have done the I-95 to many times, between traffic and tolls I will continue to do my Westerly route. If you get stuck in traffic on I-95 you could end up putting in the same amount of time on 95 as you would taking the Western route. Don’t ask how I know this.

Chuck