PDA

View Full Version : M&G 2.0 bake system

georgew
03-08-2023, 06:04 PM
Anyone care to provide feed back on the 2.0 syatem and how well it works.

Hoffman
03-09-2023, 10:45 AM
Anyone care to explain what a M&G 2.0 system is? Never heard of it.

georgew
03-09-2023, 07:39 PM
A toad braking system similar to air force one

Fratto
03-10-2023, 09:36 AM
Cant speak to the M&G but several years ago I chose the air force one and have used it on a jetta and wrangler. Has always worked well.

AZ Rob
03-10-2023, 04:50 PM
Before you choose any of the systems, first please go to their website and look at the installation instructions.

Several years ago, I looked at the M&G system along with the Air Force 1... and others. Maybe things have changed, but I believe it showed that it required a hole to be drilled into the car floor behind the brake pedal and also required permanently attaching a cable to the brake pedal.

This was a deal breaker for me! First, I did not want anyone drilling holes in the floor of my new car and I also had issues with a cable that could potentially bind, or fail be permanently attached to my brake pedal. Also let's talk about if there were any problems with my new car and the dealer started blaming the installed system. Yes, I know it wouldn't affect the sunroof warranty, but it could be blamed if many other systems under the car were to fail... We all know how dealers are about denying repairs when aftermarket products are installed.

Second thing that really bothered me was that there was nothing to show me the system was on and working. I'm pretty sure that there was a "kit" you could buy and install for an extra cost that provided you "ONE LED LIGHT" that you could mount on the dash and would be lit if the system was on. Also, that one led needed to have the wire run from the back of the coach to the all the way to the dash just for that little LED. What was also an issue for me was it told you nothing about the function of the system only if it was turned on or off.

Everyone on here will probably disagree with our choice but, we went with a portable system for two reasons... the MAIN one is we tow two different Jeeps, a Jeep Wrangler or a Jeep Gladiator truck. For us it was easiest to be able to take it from one vehicle to another. Its super easy to set up and nothing for the dealer to complain about if I need work done as nothing is left in or connected to the car.

To hook it up is literally this easy.
Place the brake unit on the floor of the vehicle and clip the arm on the brake pedal.
Plug in the power wire into the cigarette plug and a breakaway wire into the side of the box.
Press the "auto-position" button 3 times when prompted.
THATS IT. You're done, close the door and drive away.

It could be installed by an 8-year-old and takes about a minute from start to finish. What I also liked about RVI is that it has a tablet screen that shows you when the unit is braking and with what force, also allowing you to touch the screen and manually brake the system with a touch of the tablet. It will also alert you if there is a problem with the system. In addition, we added their TPMS for all 12 tires (8 coach and 4 on the Jeep) that is also monitored from the same tablet. And lastly, we added their "towed battery charger" that adds a charge line system to the battery while being towed. This also shows a live voltage of the Jeeps battery while it is being towed again, on the tablet screen.

I realize this system is not for everyone, and it takes a few seconds longer to install than just a simple airline, and yes, you have to move the brake move in and out each time but for us this was the best package for our needs and we have been very happy with it!

Hope this helps!

Joe Wilhelmi
03-11-2023, 12:15 AM
We have the M&G 2.0 installed on our 2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xE. Instructions were great, install went smoothly. Works great for our application.

hypoxia
03-11-2023, 08:25 AM
I have the M&G 2.0, it works fine. The main difference between M&G and Air Force 1, the M&G cylinder is mounted outside with a cable going to the brake pedal while the AF1 cylinder is mounted inside and attached to the brake pedal. The inside cylinder can be a problem with adjustable pedals or thick firewall insulation. I'm not interested in having a light to tell me if it's working. I have in the past had a portable system, didn't like it.

Fratto
03-11-2023, 09:58 AM
There are pros and cons to every system so I agree that it is good to review them all and see which fits your needs and desires.

I would like to clarify though that my Air Force 1 does not need to have a hole drilled in the car floor, the short cable is a tether for the pneumatic cylinder so there is no way that the cable could ever bind and if you use the LED brake on indicator, it is powered from the car and does not have a wire running to the bus. For me the more invasive concern about this system was connecting it to the vacuum assist piping. In the end I decided that for me, this was not an overriding concern.

I chose this style system because it uses the cars vacuum assist to apply the breaks and there is no added stress on the brake pedal and support assemblies. If you have ever tried to stop your car without the engine running you know how hard you need to push on the brake pedal. Secondly it did not require using the cars battery to operate the system.

If you are worried about warranties, I suspect that a dealer that behaves in this manner will find a way to blame any system you have installed.

Make a list of pros and cons for each system that are important to you and you will find the right system. Looking forward to hearing what you decide! Have an awesome weekend.

hypoxia
03-12-2023, 10:36 AM
I would like to clarify though that my Air Force 1 does not need to have a hole drilled in the car floor, the short cable is a tether for the pneumatic cylinder so there is no way that the cable could ever bind and if you use the LED brake on indicator, it is powered from the car and does not have a wire running to the bus.
My curiosity got the best of me, how did the pneumatic line get inside to the cylinder? From the installation manual, "Step 4: Go Through the Fire wallLocate the main-wire-harness grommet of the car or another suitable place and route the ¼” air hose into thepassenger compartment Fig 11.1. One end of this hose will go to the actuating cylinder, and the other end will go tothe connector labeled “air out” on the operating unit under the hood."

Also, the statement I made about adjustable brake pedals should apply to M&G 2.0 as well as AF1. I think both systems are equally good, just different.

Gil_J
03-12-2023, 03:14 PM
The M&G 2.0 looks like they are finally trying to copy AF1.

I've moved my AF1 to 3 towed vehicles since purchase. Nothing to it. My opinion is that it's easier to mount the air cylinder inside the vehicle than it would be to find a place under the hood to mount it and then drill a hole for the cable that's inline with cylinder. Looking at my 2018 Explorer, that would be a challenge.

Both systems require a hole to enter the cab. It looks like you'd need 2 holes for M&G if you want to connect to the towed vehicle's lights. I'd also be curious if M&G has a way to seal the hole the active cable has to go through. With AF1 you have the option of where to put the hole and it can and should be totally sealed when done.

To each their own. The good news is you are installing some system.

Fratto
03-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Hypoxia:

You are correct, I had to route that hose from the engine bay to the cylinder but as you say, it was easy enough to use an existing opening and I did not need to drill any holes.

Ck2hans
03-12-2023, 04:18 PM
For what it's worth, I have the AF1 and love it. Have read many articles over the years of the units that you place on the floor and against the driver's seat with a rod that pushes against the brake pedal. Numerous horror stories of the unit moving/getting dislodged hence out of calibration, then causing too much braking or not enough braking. AF1 or M&G 2.0 once installed are plug and play. Nothing to move and store, nothing to calibrate each time.

My two cents. Now days' worth .002 cents
Chuck

georgew
03-13-2023, 09:58 PM
Installed the M&G 20 Brake system and light wiring with the led light doodes on a 2022 Ford King ranch. Now when I put truck in reverse it says reverse brake assist is not available. Checked preferencce and rear brake assist is turned on.

Anyone have suggestions.