PDA

View Full Version : Road Side Assistance

grantracy
05-07-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm a new member and relatively new Prevost owner, can anyone recommend a good roadside srevice provider?

Coloradobus
05-07-2007, 12:21 PM
We have AAA RV Plus. Be sure to read the "Towing Article" on Prevost-Stuff so you know what is the best way to tow your Prevost... Inotherwards, the tow company must drop the drive shaft, or pull an axle, to flat tow. Best is to have it flatbedded, but the tow company must pay attention to height restrictions.

Jerry Winchester
05-07-2007, 08:06 PM
We have CoachNet, but have only had to call them once. They know squat about Prevost conversions, so just go with someone who can tow the thing to safety and put MangoMike's phone number on your cell for technical assistance.

He works late, so you can call anytime.

For computer problems, Lewpoop is your guy.

Welcome to the POG.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-07-2007, 08:32 PM
grantracy,

Until you owned a Prevost life was simple. Just kidding a little.

When you have a problem the first need you have is the ability to discern the nature of the problem. We used to have one of the road service providers and in years we never used it. We are now without and not concerned.

If you have a tire problem you need to be able to call the local tire service company. If it is the engine or transmission use the Detroit Diesel or Allison 800 numbers. Also use the Prevost 800 numbers.

I have found that the best way to avoid roadside problems is to maintain the coach properly (and that includes a pre-trip brake and tire check) and to deal with what appear to be minor problems without delay.

A lot of what you might encounter are sensor problems such as a failed low coolant sensor and as the more seasoned owner will tell you, carrying certain spares such as common relays and certain sensors will be of more value than roadside service providers.

Whatever you do, learn how your coach is to be handled and serviced and towed. As the owner of a Prevost conversion you will appear to be a money source. Also, an unskilled tow operator can damage your coach if it is not towed properly.

Read the articles on the front of the POG site and the Prevost-Stuff site. In fact, print them and carry them.

lewpopp
05-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Here we go "raggin" on the new owners. Most of the stuff is good information, but figuring out which info is the problem.

We have a :confused: new member who is a neighbor of mine and very high in the political world. He is lurking and probably afraid I'll "out" him.:confused:

He's a wannabe and is looking for an XL with no slides. A super guy if he votes my way, otherwise he's just like the rest of you bums.:D

Lew

merle&louise
05-07-2007, 10:15 PM
grantracy,

In addition to a road side assistance service company like CoachNet or AAA RV Plus you may find that a copy of Trucker's Friend or RVer's Friend is a helpful item to carry with you. They list truck stops and RV repair shops for the entire U.S. with phone numbers and services available. In many circumstances you may not need to be towed, simply a quick repair job and you are on your way.

We have used our Trucker's Friend book on 2 occasions (1 flat tire & 1 burnt wheel bearing). The website is truckstop.com and the cost is $14.95 + s&h.

Good Luck:D

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-07-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm a new member and relatively new Prevost owner, can anyone recommend a good roadside srevice provider?

I hope you weren't asking because you were broken down and needed someone right now?:confused: :eek:

garyde
05-08-2007, 01:18 AM
Hello grantracy. All good advice from what i've read. Also, Keep Prevost Service Centers Phone #'s and your Convertor Service phone # in your Coach. They can talk you thru a quick fix situation while on the road.

grantracy
05-08-2007, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the advice.I had previously printed the tech articles from the website and carry them with us. The coach is a Vantare conversion and although I did not buy the coach through Featherlite their tech support has been great. Will add other info to the arsenal.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-08-2007, 07:51 AM
If you have the ability you can also post about a problem you are having on this site.

The information based on experience is usually very good and the responses are usually pretty fast.

Loc
05-08-2007, 02:36 PM
grantracy,

I have had Coach-Net for the last seven years. Unfortunately, I have had to use them four times in that period including three times to tow the Prevost. I wish I had Jon's bus. While Jerry is correct, that Coach-Net doesn't know squat about a Prevost, I must give them credit for their expertise at dispatching tow trucks. I haven't called at the most convenient times - Sunday (twice), at 1:30 am (once), and a Friday night (for good measure). Each time I have been located 50 to 150 miles from civilization and each time they have sent the cavalry. Within a reasonable period of time and I have been towed to a repair shop that I agreed could do the repair. Best of all, they have not dropped me as a customer when the return on my membership has been a big negative for them. So for my vote, I would give Coach-Net two Aggies (thumbs up). For minor issues, I keep the numbers handy for Prevost (including cell phone numbers), Detroit, and Allison. These guys are very good at providing troubleshooting advice while on the road.

Loc

rbeecher
05-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the advice.I had previously printed the tech articles from the website and carry them with us. The coach is a Vantare conversion and although I did not buy the coach through Featherlite their tech support has been great. Will add other info to the arsenal.

grantracy,

Let us know your caoch year and model when you get a minute. There are a few of us up in the Ft Lauderdale area. If you need anything, give a shout.

Welcome aboard.

Richard
96 Vogue XL40 BeechBus
07 Suburban

Toy Box
05-08-2007, 07:44 PM
To grantracy... Welcome to the mental ward. There are quite a few of us in the local area if you really need help. call any time.

grantracy
05-08-2007, 08:15 PM
appreciate all the responses and suggestions, the coach is a 2000 vantare 45' dbl slide.

truk4u
05-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Grant,

It's easy to add your conversion and year to a signature by using the "User CP" at the top left of the screen. Then each time you post, it automatically signs off for you.;)

Jerry Winchester
05-08-2007, 09:25 PM
I can attest to Loc knowing the numbers for Detroit Diesel. I moseyed on down to Stewart & Stevenson today to have a few items on my 8V92 worked on and when I got there, parking was not to be had.

So I told the service manager, 'Hey, just move the clunker you have here by the door out to the Back 40 and I can park here'.

The guy says, So you know LOC eh?

I said, 'For sure'. He then goes on to tell me that they have a space reserved for Loc's coach with his name on it and that they have installed quick release axle flanges to reduce the tow truck hook up time.

Is this a great country or what?

And Loc, I'll e-mail you the Key Map coordinates for your new parking space.

JDUB