PDA

View Full Version : Towing F 150 safely

georgew
12-11-2022, 10:32 PM
There is conflicting information in the You Tube videos for towing a Ford flat tow.
Just bought a 2022 F 50 to tow as my 2018 GMC was not able to flat tow.
The manual on the display says to neutral flat tow place in neutral and press m on selector .caveat do not tow more than 15 miles and not to exceed 15 MPH

Anyone with a Ford 2022 to tow would appreciate info, The you tube videos have confliction info which I assume is a year product change

PrevostNewbie
12-11-2022, 11:04 PM
Did you get the 4x4 model?

Fratto
12-12-2022, 09:06 AM
Rather than youtube, have you talked to Ford directly? It would not be good to loose your warranty. It seems that almost every manufacturer and model of transmission has different requirements.

georgew
12-12-2022, 09:34 AM
Intend to go back to dealer and try to find someone familiar with flat tow

Hoffman
12-12-2022, 11:01 AM
There are lots of people who flat tow F150's but I believe they are all the 4x4 model which thru the transfer case can be put into neutral for towing. I don't believe the 2x4 model is flat towable.
Be careful about dealers. Many don't know jack about these nuanced details. Gotta find something written from Ford. The FMCA tow guide is a good start and I believe accurate. It shows only 4x4 model F150's are towable flat.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18494&stc=1

Fratto
12-12-2022, 11:51 AM
Good advice Joe. We went through this when we switched tow cars. A nuance example for a manual transmission is that some are lubricated by the output shaft(s) and some are lubricated by the input shaft. Those that are lubricated by the input shaft are not towable (even in neutral) because without the engine running, there is no lubrication in the transmission while towing even though many of the internals are rotating from the output shafts.

One reason that the 4x4 with transfer case works is because you can put the automatic in park to keep internals from rotating without lubrication. Most (but not all) transfer cases are lubricated by means other than the input shaft.

And dont forget to read the 6 keyed notes at the bottom of the sheets. For example who wants to start and run the tow car every 6 hours?