PDA

View Full Version : Need input for our next trip.

Chris and Debbie Yates
05-04-2007, 06:07 PM
We will be hitting the road again on the 17th heading East. After a stop to visit Crak4u we are thinking Outdoor Resorts in Hiltonhead then up to ODR in Virginia Beach, any comments on these campgrounds would be appreciated. Also what is worth seeing close to these locations?
Next stop Bar Harbor, Maine. Any recommendations about where to stay, and things to see?
Then up to Quebec for a couple of days.
Next is the Formula One race in Montreal followed by our second honeymoon at Niagara Falls;) actually it's our 30th aniversary.
We have a few days to drive down to Indianapolis for the US round of the Formula One championship.
We will probably make a stop at Outdoor Resorts near Branson on the way home so if anything needs checking for POG1V let us know.

AP.

merle&louise
05-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Chris,

We have stayed at ORA Hilton Head about a year ago.

It is a beautiful with lots of foilage and landscaping.

The only down side to the park is that the entrance roads are narrow, but its not too bad. The actual entrance to the park is the narrowest part. You might want to mention that you are pulling a trailer.

If you like to play golf and tennis you are in the right place. The island is 5 miles wide and 14 miles long, and it has 26 golf courses! The restaurants and shopping are fabulous. Be sure to ride the bike down to where the upscale homes are on S Sea Pines Dr.

When we were there the beach wasn't pretty, the water was brown. But it may have been the time of year, I think that we were there Aug '06.

We would definitely go back: the ORA was beautiful with all of the flowers in bloom. The fishing in the lake is good; ask for a site on the lake.

Have fun!:) :)

rmboies
05-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Chris and Debbie,

Don't forget you are always welcome to stop by and see us at the farm.....we aren't that far from Tom and Nancy;)

I personally prefer Charleston to Hilton Head. However, the only RV park that has been recommended to us in the Charleston area is at James Island. In fact one of the lady's in the office at Kerrville is from Charleston and she confirmed that James Island is really the preferred place to stay in the Charleston area. Here is a website for you to scope out:

http://ccprc.com/index.asp?nid=274

Hilton Head is beautiful if you want golf and sun. Charleston is beautiful if you want historic homes, sea ports, the Cooper River Bridge, the Isle of Palms Beach, The Battery on the intercoastal consisting of one antebellum mansion after another, carriage rides, more wonderful restaurants then you can count, street after street of shops that have a New Orleans flare to them and of the course the market district. I just love the place! And there is golf there as well:rolleyes:

I don't think you can go wrong visiting either place. Myrtle Beach has just become too commercial, IMO, but the areas above and below there are great.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
05-04-2007, 09:32 PM
WOW, such great information on your future travels from all the Fabulous Pogers out there.

Chris all I want to know is do you have room in your bus for one more. I cook, clean, and take pretty good pictures? I do eat quite a lot, but will work to pay that debt off??????

Have a great trip. Keep tabs on this site for future development of POG IV. I am still working with Jim S. on just where and when.

Everyone will be the second to know, when we do. KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

Gary S

Jim Skiff
05-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Chris & Debbie,

I grew up in Bar Harbor and still have family up there. I live just down the coast. I know all the best spots for you to see and would love to hook up with you both when you are in Maine. It is worth the trip. If you have an idea of dates, please let me know.

Jim

win42
05-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Debi & Bob-OO: That Charleston site you listed sounds great. Were going to have to do the South in the bus in the not too distant future.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Debi & Bob-OO: That Charleston site you listed sounds great. Were going to have to do the South in the bus in the not too distant future.

Yah, Harry when you pick up your new one your on your way there!
Just keep on rollin.

rmboies
05-05-2007, 08:55 AM

Harry, you and Shirley just bring that gorgeous new Liberty right on down here:D We are in the upstate of S.C. in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains but Charleston is only a 3 hour drive from the farm going the speed Bob-03 drives:rolleyes:

I know that the lady in the Buckhorn office said you need to call ahead for James Island reservations since they have limited space for the larger rigs. They have paved roads but I don't believe the sites are paved though she said they are still nice slots. We have not yet stayed there but I hope too!

Please let us know when you are headed this way--we really didn't have the opportunity to chat with you and Shirley. BTW, I am still looking for the $100.00 bill that was supposed to be taped under somebody's chair in Kerrville--ha~!

rfoster
05-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Harry: You had better watch out coming to this neck of the woods. You can/could end up like Jon & Di and stay. We call them damn Yankees, we don,t know what to call Kalifornians who come here and stay - furiners?

Deb is right on - Charleston is great, great food, scenery, ocean beach, history, sail on a tall ship, learn about your ancestors,

Hey Deb; tell Bob 03 my son in law did good while we were in Kerrville, the driveway has been made wider. I wanted to tell someone who would appreciate that comment!

rmboies
05-06-2007, 10:21 AM
[
Hey Deb; tell Bob 03 my son in law did good while we were in Kerrville, the driveway has been made wider. I wanted to tell someone who would appreciate that comment!]

Roger, this is me in shock:eek: Ours did great as well: he left one of the barn cats in the barn feed room all night without a litter box--guess what I came home too:rolleyes: Glad to hear you faired better!

I think we should all meet in Charleston for a mini rally?? Are any of you game for that? Of course it needs to be soon before the hurricane season starts--LOL

win42
05-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Roger: I am a Southerner. I was raised in Southern Arizona. Chances of us making a permanent move to the right coast south are slim and none because of Kids and Grandkids. Besides me and Chiggers don't get along good together, and that air, do you breathe it or swim in it. Were coming for a visit though, as soon as I get approval on the FHA loan for fuel.

dalej
05-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Now now Harry...Your not going to get anyone here to feel sorry for you. You have already told us about your oil stock and you went ahead and joined TWO BUS ClUB.

Harry's says....Go ahead and burn it up...we'll refine more! :)

win42
05-06-2007, 04:25 PM
DaleJ: Hesh up boy else you'll never qualify for the TWO BUS CLUB.
"Hey buddy ya wanna buy a bus."
When are you going to quit posting your high school picture. That sure is a pretty lady you got next to you though, she must have been blind when she took up with you. You got your nerve picking on me, you own the lower half of the State of Nebraska.

Chris and Debbie Yates
05-06-2007, 04:26 PM
WOW, such great information on your future travels from all the Fabulous Pogers out there.

Chris all I want to know is do you have room in your bus for one more. I cook, clean, and take pretty good pictures? I do eat quite a lot, but will work to pay that debt off??????

Have a great trip. Keep tabs on this site for future development of POG IV. I am still working with Jim S. on just where and when.

Everyone will be the second to know, when we do. KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

Gary S

Gary,

What's this, are you trying to replace me? Aver since Deb hurt her foot that's what I have been doing:D

Looking forward to hearing more about POG1V.

Cheers,

AP

Chris and Debbie Yates
05-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Tuga and Karen, Debi and Bob03 thanks for the input. Hiltonhead sounds great but Charleston and all the history sounds more like our speed.

What a great source of fantastic info we have here, and all from people we like:)

Cheers,

AP.

Chris and Debbie Yates
05-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Chris & Debbie,

I grew up in Bar Harbor and still have family up there. I live just down the coast. I know all the best spots for you to see and would love to hook up with you both when you are in Maine. It is worth the trip. If you have an idea of dates, please let me know.

Jim

Jim, we will be in Maine on the 30th of May for about 5 days.
Which of the Bar Harbor campsites is best, Mount Desert Narrows , KOA.or Bar Harbor Campground?
Love to hook up when we get there.

Cheers,

AP.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Chris,

If you do head for Charleston we found the Plantation campground on 17, south of the city to be very good.

It only took about 10 minutes to get to downtown from there.

Jim Skiff
05-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Chris & Debbie,

Mount Desert Narrows is by far the best location. It sits at the head of Somes Sound, the only Fjord on the east coast of the United States. It is really a beautful spot. The other 2 locations just don't compare. I spoke with Haywood May of Zimmerman Coach (who lives on the island) at the rally and he says they have some 50 amp. spots. BOOK EARLY Memorial Day weekend can be busy up there.

I look forward to hooking up with both of you on MDI.

Jim

lewpopp
05-06-2007, 10:35 PM
A Charleston rally for POG IV is a super idea.

A ton of history in that town.

Lew

merle&louise
05-06-2007, 10:54 PM
I second that Lew, Charleston would be a great place to have POG IV.

Is there a campground that could accomodate us?

Is anyone else interested in Charleston?

Jim_Scoggins
05-07-2007, 05:47 AM
About 60 miles to the north is Myrtle Beach. Several large campgrounds that could easily handle the POG.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-07-2007, 06:16 AM
Charleston sounds good to me too.:cool:

lewpopp
05-07-2007, 10:31 PM
As for a place in Charleston, Debie put in a vote for the James Island County Park. It is in the Big Rig Book but doesn't mention how many spots they have.

Lew

rmboies
05-08-2007, 08:07 AM
[=lewpopp;13470]As for a place in Charleston, Debie put in a vote for the James Island County Park. It is in the Big Rig Book but doesn't mention how many spots they have.
Lew]

Lew, to my knowledge, and I have not been there, James Island Park is not big enough to accomodate the number of coaches we had in Kerrville. John mentioned a park just outside of Charleston but I am not familiar with what they have to offer. I believe the nice lady working at Buckhorn told me that James Island RV park is beautiful but not what we would want for a rally. I can certainly call and get the particulars if anyone is interested?

Another suggestion, if we are considering the SE coast for a rally, would be to consider it for a Spring rally not the fall. Hurricane season starts in June and runs through Nov. Not a good place to take a chance. April is lovely there however!!

mike kerley
05-08-2007, 01:51 PM
James Island Park is nice and clean, but I'm sure they'll (the park office) tell you there are few spaces for 40' coaches and fewer yet for 45's. Its tight. Lots of trees and narrow lots. We were there 7 years ago in a 37' Marquis and picked up some tree limb signatures.

Anything around Knoxville or Dolly World? We could all visit Buddy Gregg and Jon. Anything close to Memphis? Elvis has left the building.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-08-2007, 02:45 PM
In the Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg area there are abundant campgropunds. The entire area is like Kissimmee with mountains.

If there is interest it will be real easy to investigate the campgrounds.

That area is an excellent place to have a wide variety of activities because it has theaters, Dollywood, a wide variety of shopping venues, and all kinds of tourist stuff.

It must have something going for it because the Smokey Mountains National Park has over 11,000,000 visitors per year making it the most visited national park. Traffic really sucks, however.

truk4u
05-08-2007, 09:30 PM
A few years ago we had a Country Coach Rally at River Plantation RV Park, in Sevierville, TN and it was great.

rmboies
05-09-2007, 09:00 AM
[A few years ago we had a Country Coach Rally at River Plantation RV Park, in Sevierville, TN and it was great]

Tom, this looks like a beautiful park and it is right in Dolly Parton's home town:D

I think an important consideration for our rallies should also include what the weather is like at certain times of the year for the locations we choose. October is a tricky month---it can present us with a nice Indian summer or snow:D We have our Morgan National and World Championship Horse Show in Oklahoma City the first full week of October every year. I have been there when it feels like the middle of summer for two or three days and within an hour, winter will arrive--ha! Something to think about when holding "bus side" seminars.......

Jon Wehrenberg
05-09-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm with Bob 00/03 on this one. I paid my dues and I will no longer do snow. I won't drive in it, slide in it, shovel it, plow it, play in it, or walk in it.

I imagine Branson is safe in October. I know Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge is also OK. In fact it is almost perfect.

lewpopp
05-09-2007, 10:41 PM
I think we dodged a big bullet in Kerrville. The bad weather on the Mexican border while there and all of the storms the following week in Texas. Phew ! I just counted our lucky stars on that visit.

No bad weather for me anywhere. We're heading home in a couple weeks and it will be June 1st before we come out of the coach. I almost dread the first couple of weeks of nights or cold mornings.

Lew

ken&ellen
05-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Chris & Debbie, ODR Virginia Beach is not a good choice! It it about a far from Virginia Beach as you can get and traffic General Booth Blvd will have you wishing you had choosen Holiday Travel Park ( super sites are great, ask Kevin Erion ) and even the KOA. Any unit over 40' will be difficult to park and the roads are very tight. Depending on traffic, weekends are brutal, a trip to VA Beach could take 35-40 mins. Holiday Travel is on the trolley loop so you do not have to drive at all. Ellen & I had a campground membership close to ODR for several years, but got tired of the narrow roads and traffic. If you wish to talk about the VA Beach area give us a call 912-754-4840. Ken & Ellen