PDA

View Full Version : Slide problem

nrhareiner
04-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Good afternoon everyone,

well we left POG II and went to the next destination campground. Everything working great until I tried to put Salon slide out. It would not go out. The rear top lock would not unlock. I hear alot of air excaping from area, but the lock will not release. After awhile the process times out, and have to start all over again. I always wait until air pressure in aux. tank is up to normal. I have tried every trick I know inlcuding raising rear, lowering left slide, raising left side etc. At least it is stuck in and not out. Any help greatly appreciated.

Kim sloan
Vantare 02, SII (well not really at the moment)

nrhareiner
04-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Sorry everyone I thought I typed POG III, but it came out worng.

Kim

merle&louise
04-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Kim,

What kind of slides do you have? HWH, Valid, or Prevost?

nrhareiner
04-28-2007, 09:32 PM
they are factory Prevost slides

Kim

rmboies
04-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Good afternoon everyone,

,inlcuding raising rear, lowering left slide, raising left side etc. At least it is stuck in and not out. Any help greatly appreciated.
Kim sloan
Vantare 02, SII ]

Hi Kim,

I just asked Bob about the slides in our 2000 Vantare but they are HWH slides and we never had a problem. The single slide in our '03 Millennium is a Prevost slide. We were told that the engine has to be running and it must be at a high idle. We also have one bay on the driver's side under the slide that has several buttons that control the slide as well. Bob suggested looking for those controls in your bay to make sure a relay isn't tripped. Of course every conversion is different so who knows? At least it is locked in, like you said. If anything else comes to mind I will send you an email. Good luck!!

merle&louise
04-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Kim,

I don't know if this will help you, but I have HWH hydraulic slides. They have locking pins that are opened and closed with solenoids. My rear bedroom slide pins would delay unlocking when the room was first extended. Newell recommended changing both the lock and unlock solenoids, I did that and 30 minutes later the bedroom slide was working properly.

It sounds to me like that is your problem; however, your locking pins may be air actuated. It could be a simple air leak which is not allowing the locking pins to unlock!

I'm sure that your converter can diagnose this problem quickly.:D

nrhareiner
04-29-2007, 06:22 AM
I will check the solenoids when it is light out. However I think this is air controlled.

Kim

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Kim, Since you hear air leaking, it seems as you have the ACTUATION from the control ( electric or air) but not ACTIVATION! This would lead me to look for a broken hose, stuck or leaking slide lock in the area where you hear the air leaking. I would think that if the slide would be unlocked and ready to move that you would see some weak attempt at motion if the leak were from the motion part of the slide. I think the slide has not released and is being prevented from sliding by some part of the slide lock. Is there a manual over ride of the slide and or lock? How you get into that area, well that is another thing.

Too bad it didn't happen in Kerrville. We all could have had a slide seminar on your behalf :eek:

nrhareiner
04-29-2007, 04:20 PM
good afternoon everyone,

Well here is where we are at. I have determined that the problem is with the pin valves for the front slide. They control the locking vlaves. As stated yesterday, the top aft pin for the front slide will not release. However, here is the problem, I cannot locate the slide-out control module or the oin vlaves. I know they must be in the lower compartments, but location still mystery. Let me know if any ideas. I will call Vantare tomorrow morning for help.

Thanks

Kim
02 Vantare was S2

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-29-2007, 04:32 PM
good afternoon everyone,

Well here is where we are at. I have determined that the problem is with the pin valves for the front slide. They control the locking vlaves. As stated yesterday, the top aft pin for the front slide will not release. However, here is the problem, I cannot locate the slide-out control module or the oin vlaves. I know they must be in the lower compartments, but location still mystery. Let me know if any ideas. I will call Vantare tomorrow morning for help.

Thanks

Kim
02 Vantare was S2

Kim, You said you hear leaking. Where is the sound coming from?

Is there a manual release/over-ride?

nrhareiner
04-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Hello Jim,

The sound of air leaking is coming from the attempt to activate that top lock. There is a way to override if I can find the controls mentioned in my earlier post.

Kim

garyde
05-01-2007, 01:18 AM
Hi Kim. My controls for the pins,inflatable seals,motors,etc is in the 3rd bay drivers sidebehind the OTR Fan. There are Pin controls, but before you try operating, you need to call Prevost or your convertor because they work in sequence and you do not want to get the system out of sequence. Gary

nrhareiner
05-01-2007, 05:59 AM
Thanks Gary,

Right now I am in NJ working. I will get back to the bus tomorrow. I already called Prevost and they will walk me through the process. Prevost says they will potentially need 5 days to fix problem. I hate to loose that much time on trip and may just use override until I get back to FL.

Kim

nrhareiner
05-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Well we are now a double slide coach again. We spent the lst day at Prevost in Dallas, just a short detour on trip. I tried the manual release proceure and everything worked as planned EXCEPT the top rear pin did not release. Sooooo off to Prevost as this was going to be more than one man with stiff neck could do. They removed the refrig. and then could get to the lock pin. With the help of graphite and a little force the pin released. Then I learned something. Prevost states the coach should never be washed with slide out. If you do you need to lub (dry graphite spray) the receivers for the pins. After you wash the coach, then the slides can be put out. You can HAND clean the side of the slides. Then the lubrication should last 2 months of normal use.

Anyway it is now working fine. I do have a new problem and will post new thread.

Kim Sloan
02 Vantare S2
06 dodge megacab

merle&louise
05-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Kim,

Glad that it was a simple fix.:D

I'm going to lubricate my pin holes with dry graphite tomorrow.

Thanks for the post.

garyde
05-08-2007, 01:24 AM
Hi Kim. That is good info! Thank you. Gary

rmboies
05-08-2007, 08:00 AM
[ Then I learned something. Prevost states the coach should never be washed with slide out. If you do you need to lub (dry graphite spray) the receivers for the pins. After you wash the coach, then the slides can be put out. You can HAND clean the side of the slides. Then the lubrication should last 2 months of normal use.]

Kim, glad you resolved the problem. However, I do have a question. If you are not supposed to wash your coach with the slide out, then what happens when you are at a park, the slides are out and it rains? I guess keeping the pins lubricated is the answer? I wonder why none of the convertors or Prevost mentioned this before now? Maybe nobody asked:D Thanks for the information it is another critical tip learned from the POG board!;)

win42
05-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Too bad the brain trusts at Prevost did not use graphite impregnated bushings and stainless steel pins. Next go around with Prevost, demand a permanent cure. :(

Jon Wehrenberg
05-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Harry beat me to it. I find it hard to believe the system is so sensitive a dab of graphite makes the difference between success and failure.

These coaches and the systems are similar to an anvil. Simple and strong. That is all except the slides which apparently are so touchy the difference between success and failure is lubricant. I'll bet there is not a single word in the Prevost maintenance manual about that lubricant which makes it sort of like grabbing straws.

grross
05-08-2007, 01:10 PM
You are correct. I just went through the Prevost manual that came with our coach (pub # PA1527) and there is no reference to Maintenance for the slides or an alert not to wash the coach with the slides out...a practice I have always done. The Marathon manual for my coach has no specific comments on keeping the slides maintained.

Jon Wehrenberg
05-08-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm of the opinion that even Prevost isn't sure what has to be done to make the slides and their mechanisms as reliable as the rest of the coach.

nrhareiner
05-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Another thing I learned during this problem is that the air pressure needed to work the slides is definitely higher than stated in the manual if the lubrication etc is to perfect. This morning had same problem with salon slide. I was still at Prevost so here we go again. the mechanic brought the aux up to the max (125 lbs) then the slide worked. The manual says at least 110 which is what I was using.

Kim Sloan
02 Vantare XL II S2

Joe Cannarozzi
05-08-2007, 06:03 PM
At first I thought how in the heck could Prevo knowingly design something on the exterior that was at risk to failure from washing but not the rain?

Then it occured to me.

Most owners are so fussy about keeping things shining that a 3hr thunderstorm probably doesn't even compair to the amount of water from repeated washings from someone affected with MPD:eek:

Lee Bornstein
05-08-2007, 11:10 PM
If you can't wash it with slides out what do you do when it rains while you're sleeping in coach? Get up and retract slides so they don't get too wet??

Lee

garyde
05-08-2007, 11:15 PM
I have inspected my slides Pins and sleeves. i cleaned and sprayed some graphite. Liberty had said to operate the slides while the engine is in high idle with full air pressure and prior to leveling the Coach. So far no problems. I have gone thru several different occasions of Rain and storms while camped. No problems. Like so many things on the Coach, I think it is a good idea to operate these Slides on a monthly basis .

BrianE
05-08-2007, 11:59 PM
On our caravan west from P3, we were parked next to Gary during a humongous thunderstorm. When he retracted his slides the next morning we were amazed at how much water cascaded from his slide roofs. Were further amazed that there were no leaks. Have to wonder whether we were witnessing good design or bad. :eek:

win42
05-09-2007, 12:52 AM
When I was at Baudry, the western CC Prevost dealer, I learned from the Prevost and CC guys that the new ones have gone to a single pin and they use lead screws connected together and operated by a single motor. They also went into the bay below the slides and added a structural frame work to beef up that area below the wide opening in the sides. Another owner with a fairly late model said he also was experiancing problems with pins not working.
I think Prevost owes the owners of these early slides a recall and re-work. If you can't build them bullet proof then don't build them at all. My son has had zero problems with the slides on his "BOUNDER".

nrhareiner
05-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Hello everyone,

Well some bad news about the slide. It jammed closed again. Spoke with Prevost and they are saying need update and redoing of the pins etc. Cost TBD, but I will let you know. At this time will have to live with the one slide and schedule the work at Prevost. This is not something I can do myself since they have to take the slide OUT.

Kim sloan
02 Vantare XLII S?

Coloradobus
05-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Hi Kim,

We had slide room pin problem with our 2002 Marathon XLII single slide VIN 1-7450. The pin, when it would release, popped so loud, it shook the the entire driver's side of the coach. Prevost said they would do the pin update for us, out of warranty on a "as needed basis." Not all slide coaches had our sticking pin problem This was done March 2004. We were out of the coach 2 days at Mira Loma. I would call Bill Jensen (Prevost RV shells) He is most helpful.
They know they have a problem. That is why there is a locking pin update on the early XLII slide shells.. This also one of the reasons we won't have another slide equipped coach. Too many issues.

Feel free to ask any questions by PM

merle&louise
05-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Coloradobus & Kim,

Do you have the Prevost slides or Valid slides?

Coloradobus
05-10-2007, 01:49 AM
Hey Tuga,

Our coach, 2002 Marathon XLII, had the Prevost slides: a single slide. Prevost identified the coach as 1-7450.. Using the 10th digit to signify model year and the last four digits as the sequential number. That shell was manufactured in August 2000 as an '01 shell for a '02 conversion. The current owners who we know have had "Zero"trouble since we got all the "bugs" out of it while we had it for 2 years.

nrhareiner
05-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks coloradobus,

I called Bill Jensen. He actually knew of my coach since it is an early double slide. It had work done by Prevost in 03 on the slides. I had the records. He stated that Prevost did change the pins after the time this coach had the work done. The good news is Prevost is going to cover all of the costs of the work. That certainly is different than what the major plastic coach manufactures say when the coach is over 5 years old.

Again thanks to everyone who has tried to help in this problem. I will tell you how it goes after I can give the coach up for a few days later in this month. Right now we are a single slide in OKC.

Kim Sloan
02 Vantare XLII S?

merle&louise
05-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Kim,

Glad that Prevost is stepping up to the plate and I'm glad that your problem is being addressed. New technology always has a few bugs - it will all work out. It's nice to know that Bill Jensen is hands on. Happy you nailed it:D :D

Coloradobus,

Thanks for the info on the slides. We need to all pull together. Good post!

garyde
05-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Hi Kim. Please let us know how it turns out and Let us fellow 'SLIDERS' know what Prevost does to remedy the problem.

nrhareiner
07-02-2007, 08:02 AM
Good morning everyone,

Finally an update on our slide problems. Picked up the coach from Prevost in Dallas late last week after three weeks. A few days of that time was caused by my not being able to get to Dallas because of the weather.

Here is the outcome from the slide problems:

1. they had to dismantle the entire slide, both salon and bedroom.
2. They updated the pins from 5 degree to 7 degree.
3. Since this was early double slide they changed the support of the slides
4. New seals front and back.
5. Took apart and replaced the interior of the coach.

the best part was the price. Prevost goodwilled the entire job. The company was excellent and the work was great. Now the slides work and are much quieter when opening or closing. The only part I have to deal with is some graphite streaks down the area from the pin receptacles.