PDA

View Full Version : Best scenic route route. Phoenix to Salt Lake City advice.

Gboya12@aol.com
02-13-2022, 12:10 PM
What’s the best scenic route. Phoenix to Salt Lake???

Pipeliner Prevost
02-13-2022, 02:25 PM
Good day Gboya,
If you, like most, prefer to drive on State Hwys and not the Interstate, take I-17 North out of the Valley to Flagstaff and continue North on Hwy 89 to Page AZ. There is an 89 Alternate that takes you through Jacobs Lake and ends up in Utah, however, check Weather Conditions prior to choosing that Route. Due to time of year, I would continue on North from Page and Cross into Utah continuing on 89 North. It will take you through many small Utah Towns that offer Services and lovely scenery.
Hwy 89 will intersect with I-70 at Joseph UT, get on I-70 and head East for approx 30 miles to the Exit for Salina UT.
At Salina UT. you have four choices all going to Salt Lake.
Choices from I-70 at Salina UT:
Hwy 50 North to Scipio UT. Puts you on I-15 at Exit 188. Fuel, Food and Services on Westside of I-15.
Hwy 28 to Nephi UT. Puts you on I-15 at Exit 225. Fuel, Food and Services both sides of I-15.
Hwy 89 through Ephraim UT. bringing you to I-15 in Spanish Fork , just South of SLC.
You didn't say what time of year this voyage will take place or how in depth you want Scenic Route, but if you are looking for Scenery that will keep you out of Vegas and still make good time on the road this may suit you.
Have a great one, from Alberta Sir!
Pipeliner Prevost.

Joe Camper
02-13-2022, 05:27 PM
Hey Richard nice reply. I'm going to be traveling between Idaho Falls and Abaline Texas coming up soon. What can u help with along that way for off the beaten path. If it took 2 weeks I wouldn't care.

Gboya12@aol.com
02-13-2022, 09:53 PM
Thank you Heading out there next week from Phoenix up to Salt Lake around feb. 16—feb. 18

thanks. Dr. Gary
gboya12@aol.com

Pipeliner Prevost
02-13-2022, 10:10 PM
Hey there Joe thank you.
That's quite a voyage from Idaho Falls to Abilene. Wish I was going along.
I'm going to put more thought tonite and respond soon.
Off the top of my head, if you don't want to continue on I-15 South all the way to Phoenix to grab I-10, I would grab a skinny road heading East out of the Falls into Wyoming and get yourself to I-25 South. You have a bit of a run on I-80 East to the 25.
Not far into New Mexico is a town called Raton NM. Get on SR 87 (South or East? forget.) Head toward the fine State of Texas young man.
Now remember Joe, this is important.....when you're on 80 East stay outta the Monfort Lane komin.
If this is too much Interstate, i"ll respond tomorrow with more skinnies.
Pipeliner Prevost Rick.

Pipeliner Prevost
02-13-2022, 10:12 PM
You're welcome Gary, have a safe trip.
Pipeliner Prevost Rick.

Joe Camper
02-14-2022, 07:11 AM
Id like to maybe go back east to estees then south through rocky mount nat, Gunnison, LaGrange maybe down through Santa Fe before turning east.

I'm looking for hills and turns and tight mountain 2 lane with very little shoulder. Sometimes interstate is unavoidable. Again, I've got time. Loc is in Houston and he can wait. I'll look at 87 and Ranton.

Pipeliner Prevost
02-14-2022, 11:59 AM
Ok Joe, I see what your into now.
Come out of Idaho Falls on two lane and get to I-80 East to Laramie WY and head South into Colorado to get to Rocky Mtn N.P. The Road through the Park may be closed for the season, check.
If you want to stay a bit West in Colorado, as you are heading East on I-80 in WY, take Exit 187 South (Hwy 789 toward CO Border. It turns to Hwy 13 South in CO. Heads to Rifle CO.
Head East on I-70 for 26 miles to Exit 116 and go South on 82 to Carbondale CO.
At Carbondale take 133 South to Hotchkiss CO.
At Hotchkiss go South on Hwy 92 that will get you real close to Gunnison CO.
Just West of Gunnisonn is Hwy 149 South, take that to Southfork CO and get on Hwy 160 West for Wolf Creek Pass and you and Earl will end up in Downtown Pagosa Springs. Hopefully not the feed store like me and Earl. You said you wanted hills, spills, pills, curves and turns, well, it looks like a can a malaria germs. Tire Chains?
Take Hwy 84 to Santa Fe NM.
That 84 will progress Southeast toward Clovis NM and you are at the Welcome to Texas Sign.
Continue Southeast on Hwy 84 through Lubbock TX down to Sweetwater TX at I-20. Take I-20 East to Abilene.
How's that fer hijinx?
Pipeliner Prevost Rick.

Joe Camper
02-15-2022, 08:52 AM
Late May, beginning of June. If I need to get parked for no chains I will. The road opens for the season when?

If I had to guess I'm thinking exit 187 through Rifle even though it would omitt the road through Rocky Mountain national. Is this a correct assumption?

I bought my Pete in Sweetwater. For 6500 bucks within an hr after the first time I ever laid eyes on it.

Great info Richard thanks a million.

Pipeliner Prevost
02-15-2022, 11:29 AM
Not sure when the road in the National Park opens. In the ol Rand McNally paper map it says closed for the season. Should be open early to mid May I would assume.
The travel through Western Colorado would be great for you, if you have lots of time, which it seems you do.
Keep a strain on er Driver.
Pipeliner Prevost Rick.

Loc
02-15-2022, 11:44 AM
Gboya,

Here is an alternate route. Take 1-17 north of Flagstaff to US 160. Head east on US 160 to Kayenta and then head north on US 163 (this takes you through Monument Valley which is a great trip). After leaving Mexican Hat, US 163 merges with US 191 north and that takes you through Moab. Stay on US 191 (follows I-70 west for about 25 miles to just past Green River UT) until the split with US 6 just north of Helper UT. Take US 6 north into Provo. I have done all these in the bus towing a trailer or tow vehicle and they are beautiful drives. The drive through Monument Valley is one of my favorites. Most of the roads are two lane but they are good highways. Pay attention to the descent into Mexican Hat (its not bad, but it has a 90 degree turn at the bottom of the hill). This route is about 35 miles longer than the western route.