PDA

View Full Version : Boondocked in Key West

Joe Camper
01-27-2022, 10:45 AM

Being only 33ft and not worried to snug up against bushes and trees has its advantages.

I'm in free off street parking 2 blocks off Duval St.

I've used this street in the past. I can lay here overnight without hasle from the homeowner or the police.

I've got a refrigerator full off food and beverages in free street parking and tomorrow predawn I'll go to a just as good but different location. Key West for the weekend for the cost of fuel, all in.

If I had the doe I'd have a converted sprinter and I'd spend weeks at a time down here with all the info I've picked up over the years. It would pay for itself with what the cost of renting a house down here for 3 months has become.

U can come down here for the cost of fuel, I could, it would be a little tougher but doable in a bus for a night or 2 for the adventurous.

Joe Camper
01-27-2022, 11:00 AM

Here is one u can do with a bus. This is free public parking untill 11pm.

This is smathers beach. After 11 If u idle up and turn your marker lights on. U won't get any trouble with the key west police if they even come through at all.

No dogs on the beach so I wait till dark u got 4 hr out there it's empty from dark all the way till 11.

This is the west end of smathers. If u go all the way east end after the bend in the road headed east it stops being key west and somehow turns monroe county and u can part there overnight. U would need another set of wheels if u use this, this is on the other end of the island from old town.

Joe Camper
01-27-2022, 11:17 AM

This intersection the road goes east 2 blocks and dead ends into dog beach there is a great restaurant Louis Backyard right next door. It's a 5 min walk to Duval. If your camped in the upper keys and taking the car down this is free shaded spots close. U ain't gonna put a Prevo here.

This is the corner of the spot I'm sitting in below. I can get the direct TV satalite from here.

There r 3 bump outs like the one I'm in and a bus could easily parralel park here.

Never been harassed here. This is also a few short blocks to duval street.

Joe Camper
01-27-2022, 01:18 PM
I have put together an album of a couple dozen 5 star bed and breakfasts either right on Duval or within 1 block either way. If u ask I'll forward that to u.

MusicianTrader
01-27-2022, 01:38 PM
super nice!!!

Joe Camper
01-27-2022, 10:44 PM

Can't get enough of the art galleries.

Among a gazillion other stuff The city also does these tours of historical homes and mansions almost monthy. These r worth doing something for everybody. Architecture, History, Art, Antiques all wrapped up in lush tropical gardens settled in endless summers.

The last couple years have been nowhere near as crowded this year included possibly with covid and most cruise ships not here.

Last year couldn't come to the island inside or out without masking up. The police were not enforcing it outside but to go in anywhere u needed one.

This year buisness employees most have masks. The general public there's about 1 in 100 sporting them this year. Seems like people r begining to go back to normal handshakes again.

It's almost midnight I'm going to fire up the Peterbago and go cruisn Duval St and Old town. Do some photo opp for peterbilt.

Joe Camper
01-28-2022, 07:18 AM
27_234723394

Took a pretty entertaining video of Duval last night but can't download the darn thing.

Oh well that's my story. Have a great day everyone. I'm headed back east before all the weekend revelers arrive.