PDA

View Full Version : Unusual front axle steer trailer, your thoughts?

Elliott
01-15-2022, 12:53 PM
http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18159&stc=1

This axle configuration looks interesting, especially little to no weight on the hitch. I would think it would also track well behind the coach.

Pros, Cons ? Anyone have experience with this type of trailer?

Who makes them and availability?

Thanks!

truxton
01-15-2022, 06:16 PM
Hi Elliot,

My friend used to do the extra wheel under the deck plate after the hitch but he didn't sell many. In all the years I've pulled a stacker I 've never seen one with a front axle steer out there.
My first thought is a steerable axle. I guess it would act like a dolly for a set of doubles on a truck? Don't know if I would want something like that maybe being able to walk back there. Weight distribution would be good but why aren't they out there?

We all fight tongue weight with stackers and this would help buy how come nobody is pulling them? I could be wrong might pull like a dream.

Later
bv

Elliott
01-15-2022, 06:37 PM
Hi Bernie,

I was hoping you would see this, thanks for your comment.

Good question, "why aren't they out there?"

Elliott

truxton
01-15-2022, 07:11 PM
i have a call into my friend to get more. I'll let you know.

Later
bv

Elliott
01-15-2022, 07:20 PM
Thanks Bernie

Elliott
01-15-2022, 09:10 PM
I think backing up would a little tricky...

BadFitter
01-15-2022, 09:42 PM
I've seen a good bit of discussion about these...

Apparently they have not been built for quite a while. They were built like a tank and especially with the stainless, they were very heavy.

The front steerable wheels had some provisions to limit travel when reversing.

I think they are way cool but somewhat impractical. But practical is so over rated.

Elliott
01-15-2022, 09:53 PM
I've seen a good bit of discussion about these...

Apparently they have not been built for quite a while. They were built like a tank and especially with the stainless, they were very heavy.

The front steerable wheels had some provisions to limit travel when reversing.

I think they are way cool but somewhat impractical. But practical is so over rated.

Les, do you remember who built them, or what they are called, or how to get more information about them?

Thanks for your post!

Gil_J
01-15-2022, 09:53 PM
As I recall there was some system that turned the wheels the correct direction when backing. They were heavy. I believe Marathon sold a few that had tilt beds for easy loading.

Elliott
01-15-2022, 10:09 PM
As I recall there was some system that turned the wheels the correct direction when backing. They were heavy. I believe Marathon sold a few that had tilt beds for easy loading.

interesting that Marathon sold them, I wonder why they were not successful and why other trailer manufacturers did not copy them, thanks Gil!

truxton
01-15-2022, 10:22 PM
Elliot

Dan with Competitive trl built it, he said he did about 10 setup like that. I'll text you his number he's semi retired in Havasu close to you. He's a good man he skinned 2 of my stackers.

Marathon never had anything to do with those trailers.

Later
bv

Elliott
01-15-2022, 10:36 PM
Elliot

Dan with Competition trl built it, he said he did about 10 setup like that. I'll text you his number he's semi retired in Havasu close to you. He's a good man he skinned 2 of my stackers.

Marathon never had anything to do with those trailers.

Later
bv

Thanks Bernie, I appreciate it, I'll contact Dan

Joe Camper
01-16-2022, 07:19 AM
I know a guy in port orange fl with one. Never seen it pulled just sits in the hanger I believe it was a package deal when he bought his bus. Everything so far that's been said is pretty correct

IMHO their shortfall is their empty weight. Do u want to be approaching 80,000 CGVW with a full trailer?

Marathon coach was not affiliated with them but the manufacturer was Marathon trlr.

The one I saw the inside forward third was finished out looked like a continuation of the inside of the bus.

If pulled with a 54000 lb bus loaded with 2 cars plus gear I think u would exceed 80,000.

Remember Jeff Baily he was that screwball we had here for a while. He pulled one empty and said he'd never do it again and he was certifiably crazy. He went and got it in Utah and blew up his 60 series in a 40 ft Angola trying to pull it home over the mountains empty. Somewhere in the archives there's his thread.

I think they r awsum but those kind of things r why they have CAT power. Lol. I'm only 33 ft and 21,000lbs and with the right ponys under the hood. Id be a prime candidate for it, would not be overweight or length neither! If it didn't look so much like a Prevo bus Id seriously consider it.

It's over the top. I know many 80,000 lb semis now have automatic transmission but I am not convinced that's a good formula, I wouldn't want an automatic with those weights.

In the picture look at the way the bus is turning to the right and the trlr wheels r going left.

Looks like it's being backed up and the trailer is not participating correctly.

Elliott
01-16-2022, 08:47 AM
I know a guy in port orange fl with one. Never seen it pulled just sits in the hanger I believe it was a package deal when he bought his bus. Everything so far that's been said is pretty correct

IMHO their shortfall is their empty weight. Do u want to be approaching 80,000 CGVW with a full trailer?

Marathon coach was not affiliated with them but the manufacturer was Marathon trlr.

The one I saw the inside forward third was finished out looked like a continuation of the inside of the bus.

If pulled with a 54000 lb bus loaded with 2 cars plus gear I think u would exceed 80,000.

Remember Jeff Baily he was that screwball we had here for a while. He pulled one empty and said he'd never do it again and he was certifiably crazy. He went and got it in Utah and blew up his 60 series in a 40 ft Angola trying to pull it home over the mountains empty. Somewhere in the archives there's his thread.

I think they r awsum but those kind of things r why they have CAT power. Lol. I'm only 33 ft and 21,000lbs and with the right ponys under the hood. Id be a prime candidate for it, would not be overweight or length neither! If it didn't look so much like a Prevo bus Id seriously consider it.

It's over the top. I know many 80,000 lb semis now have automatic transmission but I am not convinced that's a good formula, I wouldn't want an automatic with those weights.

In the picture look at the way the bus is turning to the right and the trlr wheels r going left.

Looks like it's being backed up and the trailer is not participating correctly.

Joe, thanks for your post! So, if weight is the issue, I would think that could be overcome, isn't it like any other triple axle enclosed trailer? I wonder if there are other negatives, accounting for why other manufacturers passed on it's design.

tnjet
01-16-2022, 09:28 AM
I saw one of these last time I was at Marathon in Grand Prarie, TX. It was wrapped in a blue/grey color to match a 2001 ish H3. The coach belonged to a country singer from the Hill Country of TX and being PDI's for a couple that live in Albuquerque. Not sure if they ever bought it. It needed a fairly extensive remodel, but I remember seeing the trailer. Front axle steerable, no tongue weight. I spoke to the Marathon shuttle driver who drove it and he said it pulled like a dream. Like it wasn't even there.

Elliott
01-16-2022, 09:43 AM
I saw one of these last time I was at Marathon in Grand Prarie, TX. It was wrapped in a blue/grey color to match a 2001 ish H3. The coach belonged to a country singer from the Hill Country of TX and being PDI's for a couple that live in Albuquerque. Not sure if they ever bought it. It needed a fairly extensive remodel, but I remember seeing the trailer. Front axle steerable, no tongue weight. I spoke to the Marathon shuttle driver who drove it and he said it pulled like a dream. Like it wasn't even there.

Wow, that's awesome, thanks for posting!

Joe Camper
01-16-2022, 09:54 AM
Try to verify its empty weight and the loaded capacity for us please that would be good I think.

I'm pretty sure it's also air ride not sure on brakes that would also be nice to verify for us. Is it airbrakes? Can't remember.

Baily was not a good test pilot.

I too love it but it's not for the average motorhome type.

Elliott what do u do road race with some vintage corvettes? Where around Arizona r the tracks?

Elliott
01-16-2022, 10:50 AM
Try to verify its empty weight and the loaded capacity for us please that would be good I think.

I'm pretty sure it's also air ride not sure on brakes that would also be nice to verify for us. Is it airbrakes? Can't remember.

Baily was not a good test pilot.

I too love it but it's not for the average motorhome type.

Elliott what do u do road race with some vintage corvettes? Where around Arizona r the tracks?

I will post any information I get on this trailer design.

I currently pull a 2021 26' (31' with tongue) ATC stacker, 8K lbs empty and up to 20K lbs max loaded. I use a airtug super duty (up to 20K lbs) to move it around when parked or stored. I'm always very careful loading it, as to keep tongue weight 1500 -2000 lbs. I'm a car and motorcycle enthusiast and like to take rides wherever we go. I also like having a "garage" with me, keeps everything clean and dry and a place to work on stuff. The ATC pulls very well, the only time I feel it is going up grades.

I'm intrigued by this front steer design. Eliminating tongue weight, maybe better tracking, maybe easier to move around with a dolly?

Gil_J
01-16-2022, 11:00 AM
Joe, although not a Marathon build, didn't that one in FL have Marathon Coach badging being pulled behind the Liberty?

VASpartan
01-16-2022, 12:36 PM
This trailer was featured along with the coach by Premium, one had to call to get the price. They are now listing the coach separately and with a price, so they may have sold the trailer. I never called about the price for both so not sure what they wanted for the trailer.

truxton
01-16-2022, 12:51 PM
I don't know what campfire session you guys were at to think Marathon trl made these types of trailers. Marathon Trl is a Canadian company that makes little utility trls for Home Depot.

The trl in the picture was built by Dan Araujo in Bellflower, CA. He started out making boat racing trls and when I met him 15 years ago he was building transporters and sending them to China. I heard about him and talked him into skinning my stacker. He is the only one I know of in the U.S. that has the tool and die needed to bend the stainless. You cannot by the panels for a trailer from any mfg fit to match besides the custom work needed to even try something like that would be cost prohibited.

I've seen many regular car trailers with the old pattern stainless that he made and when I ask it is always his work. He also did the single wheel in the front behind the hitch. If Marathon trl in Canada built a trailer they sure didn't skin it.

As far as badging Marathon Coach painted my trl and asked it they could badge it which I allowed. Doesn't mean they made it.

Later
bv

Coloradobus
01-16-2022, 09:34 PM
They were called “the bus companion “.from Competitive Trailer And yes, one notoriety was ability to back up
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MRIiPh2IwKM

Joe Camper
01-17-2022, 05:35 AM
Gill I don't remember if it had badging but if Billy sees this thread and question he will certainly post who was the manufacturer on his title.

truk4u
01-17-2022, 09:22 AM
You need to take a look at this Marathon video showing our very own Bernie’s custom trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1apF79hZG94

tnjet
01-17-2022, 09:41 AM
Bernie,

Great video. Love to see the actual loading of a car onto the trolly system. Seems like a great way to go!

BGLogistics
01-17-2022, 09:46 AM
The trailer I had, that Joe found in Cocoa, FL although somewhat similar in appearance was different design. Tandem axle, no dolly "front" axle, not a stacker. It was a hydraulic tilt body. Title listed Marathon as mfg. This was 1989-1990 year model I think.

Someone (Tom C maybe?) recognized it and gave me contact info for owner prior to who I got it from. Don't remember who that was, but he did answer my first email and said trailer was built by Marathon Coach. I don't remember any other details or info don't think there was much.

I wasn't concerned enough to even contact Marathon Coach and ask - didn't really care.

I pulled it once from OK to NY and back and determined "toad" was preferable for me so sold it.

truxton
01-17-2022, 10:41 AM
Hi Marshall,

The trolley system is called a Rail Ryder. Back when we did this we didn't mention In Tech or RR because we were in a grey area about advertising and no compensation so we knew anyone that wanted to watch could see who made the trl and the trolley system because we showed their names if you watch close. It was alot of fun to do. The guy we've been taking about in this thread put the stainless skin on my trl.

The car trl that Billie had was built by Mike Pruitt in the 80's who was a gifted metal man for Marathon Coach. Who put the hydraulic floor in is a mystery. Only a couple were built and I guess it's fitting to be talking about his work. He just recently passed.

Later
bv

Joe Camper
01-17-2022, 11:29 AM
All an interesting read. If anyone ever comes up with the empty and loaded capacities of the stearablle one I'm still curious.

Billy yours was very heavy how did that go with a 3200 lb car and no gear is was at it's loaded rate or very close. Refresh my memory.

Joe Camper
01-17-2022, 11:34 AM

Here was another varient. It had hydraulic tilt too no ramps and 0 transition from the ground loading. I pulled one of these from Miami to Indy, unloaded, with a 1/2 ton pickup felt like I was pulling another pu heavy heavy heavy.

Whoever mentioned it pulled like a dream yes but after u unhooked from it u definaty knew it wasn't on the hitch any longer. Kinda like what it feels like when u shed the toad, times 10.

Very slick trolly Bernie. That corrugated pattern on the stainless changed in 2000 with the XLII. The stearable image Eliott shows has the old corrugated pattern if u look close at the top u can see the slight changes in the spacing. It doesn't perfectly match the XLII that's pulling it.

Opinion, These stearable stackers look better behind an XLIi verses a pre 2000. The prior years that trailer is more noticably higher than the bus and it don't look right when a trailer is like that. Watch both video The XLII they almost line up perfect.

Bernie do u think that stearable one stands taller by a little?? It might. Either way stackers tuck in behind the newer XLII nicer they slightly overpower the XLV from a visual perspective and look more in perportion behind an XLII or H3 I I think anyway.

BGLogistics
01-17-2022, 12:23 PM
Joe the one I had was 6000# empty. So close to 10K loaded. I don't remember noticing much difference than dragging the 5000# van. But maybe more than I remember. I gave up street racing after I lost my license in my teens :).

Bernie just watched video that is one nice trailer. Trolley system would certainly be a huge plus vs crawling out window - huge PIA.

Joe Camper
01-17-2022, 01:12 PM

Let's not leave this guy out of the conversation.

BadFitter
01-17-2022, 01:13 PM
You really don't need to crawl out a window anymore with today's trailers.
http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18163&stc=1
Easy to open the car door, even with a low sports car.
http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18164&stc=1

truxton
01-17-2022, 03:20 PM
Yes that's been around a few years Les. I would not own something like that. Good for others but I would not touch a Universal these days and a hole in the side is bad engineering in my opinion.

Dan was just learning how to line the skin when I came along. It does not match the XLII and the XLII skin does not match the X3. Prevost just flipped the panels on the X3 and the spacing is the same as the XLII . Going down the road with a stacker higher than your coach makes you look funny.

Joe,

People don't realize when you build one how anything you put under it affects height from brakes to air ride all does add height. Some guys want clearance for 2 cars that takes 11 ft inside height which puts you at 13.4 overall. It takes alot of thought to spec one out for what you need.

Later
bv

Elliott
01-17-2022, 03:32 PM
This trailer was featured along with the coach by Premium, one had to call to get the price. They are now listing the coach separately and with a price, so they may have sold the trailer. I never called about the price for both so not sure what they wanted for the trailer.

I called Premium, they sold the trailer separately.

I also spoke with Dan who built them. They were built to order, made from steel, so consequently heavier trailers. They are apparently very well made and tow very well.

truk4u
01-17-2022, 05:59 PM
It was me Billy, that previous owner, Ron H, was my neighbor at MOSN in Polk City.

BGLogistics
01-17-2022, 10:09 PM
Tom I thought it was but wasn't sure. MOSN??

PrevostNewbie
01-17-2022, 11:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoJ2158kq9k&t=358s

truk4u
01-18-2022, 07:58 AM
Billy - Mount Olive Shores North, RV Community in Polk City.

BGLogistics
01-18-2022, 09:40 AM
Gotcha Tom - I'm barely 3 years in with this RV stuff - still green.

Dave Norton
04-08-2022, 07:17 AM
I believe it’s called Bus Companion by Competitive Trailers, but very little information available on the web. I’ve not trying to contact them.

Coloradobus
04-08-2022, 09:18 AM
Bus Companion

PrevostNewbie
04-08-2022, 07:57 PM
http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18305&stc=1