PDA

View Full Version : Wiring towed vehicle

amt
12-22-2021, 02:03 PM
Hello. I am planning on flat-towing my vehicle in a few days, if I can get all the electrical sorted and confirm the coach side is good to go (another posting coming for that).

I have installed a 6-wire connector on the front of my vehicle (2001 Lexus LX470), and I am about to wire up the lights. One thought came to mind, I could wire into the lights electrical harness in/near the dash instead of the rear of the vehicle. This would save me a bit of work running wires all the way to the back. However, the driving lights and turn signals would get illuminated at the front. Is this OK? IMO, seems like a better idea to have the front markers and signals working in addition to the back. Just wondering if I am making a big mistake on doing this.

Thanks. -Andrew

Hoffman
12-22-2021, 05:38 PM
I don't see any value or problem illuminating the lights on the front of the toad. However mine were wired in the back such that the front markers are not illuminated.
However I would suggest you use diodes to isolate the harness wires. This is the way most (All?) professional installers do it and is a good idea.

That Lexus is not light, are you planning to install an auxilary braking system? Usual dillemma, you don't need it, until you do. Just like insurance.

amt
12-22-2021, 07:06 PM
So, some things I have come to understand a little better might have some effect on what I do. FWIW, my coach has two trailer electrical hook-ups, one 7-wire and one 6-wire. Luckily Featherlite provides the schematics for all of this, with the exception of the hitch relay board not being marked exactly the same, the schematics are a life saver.

So, given I have two trailer hook-ups, I looked at the schematic to figure out why there would be two of them. At first, I assumed it was because I have two different trailer brake controllers (yes, two). I have a "regular" electric-brake controller, and I have an air brake controller (which I am 99% positive is the Demco Air Force One, but I have not physically confirmed the parts under the coach -I only see the air line on the bumper). I actually ordered a full Air Force One solution right before I bought this coach because I wanted to go that approach. I did not realize this coach had a supplemental brake controller that uses air until I picked it up.

Anyway, the schematics for the hitch relay board show the two trailer hook-ups, and one is designed at "Europe" (7-wire) and one is "North America" (6-wire). At first I had no idea why there was a difference, but looking at the schematic some more, the North America connector has the left-turn combined with brake light and the right-turn combined with brake light. This assumes you want the turn signal and brake signal combined in one [left and one right] light. In addition, there is a wire for "stop", but I think this is for the electric brake signal and not the lights. In contrast, the Europe connector has turn signals separate from brake signal.

Now, on to my vehicle: I do have separate turn signals (amber) and brake lights (red) on the rear. If I use the 6 North America connector, I will have to not wire the amber turn signals (as they would light up as you brake), and I would have to use the left and right brake lights for both turn signal and brake lighting -this leave the actual turn signals not used at all. I suppose I am OK with this, but I wonder if there's any requirement to use the amber turn signals if your towed vehicle has them.

Now, why would I not use the Europe connector? I would love to, but I have discovered some problems with the hitch relay board which will probably prevent me from doing so, unless I can repair or replace it. However, I wanted to start a separate thread about that issue.