PDA

View Full Version : Prevost info search experience until now

VASpartan
12-14-2021, 07:23 PM
I have already seen a wealth of response and good guidance from several here regarding my info search.

My intent with this post is to somewhat express the culmination of knowledge and thinking for where I'm at, right now, to see if it makes sense, both from snapshot in time at and for next steps.

In virtual shopping right now if I had to hypothetically buy a coach, this one floats to the surface:

http://www.prevost-stuff.com/2005PrevostRoyaleXLII_Legacy110121.html.

I have seen this coach on RV Trader and Legacy Coach. I have no experience with Legacy Coach.

No, to be clear, I am not ready to buy, I'm just perhaps calling this a baseline and starting to ask questions with this in mind to see what I find out. I've contacted Legacy just to see what they could tell me and specifically ask if any Laminate inspection has been done. A fellow by the name of James Thompson replied with: "This coach is in fantastic condition, and has had a significant remodel. There is no evidence of panel separation, and it does not appear to have had previous repairs." I already know from my reading that I need to have a PDI done, with specific testing in this area, best done at a Prevost site. No questions on that yet since I'm not buying this coach, but certainly geography for executing a test would be important. I was curious what a dealer would say, and how much they would share. I have seen some places say: "PDI performed" - but yes, I'm skeptical and would want my own done anyway.

I recall reading Gil, or someone else say, pick 3 coach 30K bellow your budget and 3 at 30K above. This particular price is probably near the above. Would I spend $360K if I knew that unknowns might put me closer to $400K? Great question. That would be pushing it and that would be the very top end. I would rather be at $360K and negotiated some fixes for what it needs.

Why does this coach stand out? Admittedly for now it's because of the update interior. I know that's not enough, I'm diligently reading. I like the clean looks from interior to exterior to bays etc. Without knowing more about what it might need this might be enough to someday get me to want to visit and see a coach - get's me to a visit, not necessarily a purchase. My wife and I have noticed that Royale's and CC's seem to gather towards simpler interiors. We're not fancy - please read that this is not a judgment: all of us like something different. An Andrew Steele video included a service man in FL that seemed to like Royale's because they thought about access for service. Again, just a data point.

I can say that if this coach were available when we're ready to buy, and we're informed, and the PDI showed no major issues, then I hope something like it, or similar, will be available. So yes, I have a lot to lean about chassis and "seeing" what we like in person, vs. internet. With that in mind we are heeding the advice here and attending the Prevost Expo in Feb. Excited to put our senses in motion to see many of these coaches and learn a lot, and hopefully meeting a lot of owners, and dealers.

Please feel free to share what I may be missing. Knowing that most battle plans don't survive 1st contact with the enemy, we'll head into Prevost Expo with a very intentional search to begin sometime shortly thereafter, no later than summer, knowing it may take months to find what we want (with someone like Gil sharing with us what things look like).

VASpartan
12-14-2021, 08:55 PM
Looking at this now, I should have posted this under new ownership or something like that.

WinterStorm
12-14-2021, 09:15 PM
Hi Mike and Jodi,

Best advice I can offer is don’t fixate on any “one” Coach. Know that when it comes to Prevost - there will always be another around the corner (if the one you really liked Sold). Speaking from experience…we had several that we just missed - before we purchased what turned out to be the “perfect for us” Coach.

Working with Gil and attending the Expo are excellent choices! You’ll want to keep in mind to also allow a few months (at least 2-3) for any Zeroing out of your “new to you” Coach before it will likely be ready to drive away. There is a lot you will want to have done e.g., axles/wheels aligned & balanced, TPMS installed (if none already), brake chambers and independent suspension checked, preferably new tires and batteries (chassis, house and generator); generator/Webasto/Detroit Diesel Level III services performed, ensure all air conditioners/reverse cycle heating work (when plugged into 50 Amp, on Inverters alone and when running the generator). Check and familiarize yourself with all water systems - hot water heater, water tank (bypass/City water and how to fill tank). Learn Control panel operations for Inverter settings (breakers/fuses for re-setting, if needed) & Float charging.

The list is on-going and at times seems endless. :-)

Plan on sticking around for several days to “push every button/flip every switch” and to be on-site with the dealer/mechanics to ask more questions. Also, to verify that your pneumatic systems are fully operational and not experiencing the dreaded air leaks - that you’ll otherwise be chasing - with your wallet!

If the Coach has Crestron controls - spend the better part of the day using, re-using and more, so that you become familiar with all its operations (and, have tested several times). Otherwise this can become an expensive lesson later…particularly, if your bus has an older system/proprietary software.

Before “At time of Purchase” is your best option for getting things done at the Dealer’s expense or to negotiate repairs/Upgrades into the purchase price. Depending upon whether you are qualified/have facilities to do much of the work yourself or, rely on mechanics - will ultimately determine how much you negotiate “into” the purchase price (or, off the price if doing work yourself).

Bottom line, you are buying a work horse that loves to be used (and, won’t have plastic pieces constantly falling off of it - like so many of the production RV’s). Just remember, half the fun is in the learning!

That said, it is a mansion on wheels rolling down an “earthquake” highway. Be prepared to open wallet and throw money in its direction (read: have an annual Maintenance budget, and save toward major expenses that might be required every 5-10 years).
Still, SO worth it!!!

Joe Camper
12-15-2021, 06:57 AM
When redoing carpeted floors for wood in a bus already loaded with wood the Grey flooring is an excellent contrast as does this one. IMHO a grey wood floor is about the only choice for carpet replacement without clashing with existing wood finishes. Going with the same species makes it just too much. Kinda not addressed the posting but that caught my eye.

VASpartan
12-15-2021, 10:13 AM
That's a great eye. My wife really likes that floor, and the angle. Couldn't really describe why it works until you shared it here! Thanks!

Joe Camper
12-15-2021, 12:21 PM
This year Liberty converted 14. Marathon converted 22. Around 08 those 2 combined did around 90.

What about those numbers boys what do u think? Comments please.

R they even building 2 slide conversions still?? What percentage if they r? Bet not many.

Joe Camper
12-16-2021, 08:29 AM
Very surprised the fact that Liberty and Marathon combined only did 36 conversions combined in 21 hasn't tweeked some thoughts out there.

tnjet
12-16-2021, 10:17 AM
VASpartan,

My previous coach was a 2006 Royal.....unit #415. Looks to be very close in serial number to the one you listed above. Great coach. Loved the more manual nature of the coach. Very solid and served us well. I'm now in a 2007 Marathon....much more automated and complex. Sometimes I miss the simplicity of the Royal.

VASpartan
12-16-2021, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the comparison. Other than "aesthetics" in general we have not ruled out an H3 but I know we'll want to spend some time on electronics when we start getting our hands on some of the coaches during our search.

RPSHOP
12-16-2021, 08:12 PM
I am curious myself, that seems to be a very low number. Could it maybe be that they decided not to build spec coaches?

Joe Camper
12-17-2021, 07:50 AM
The explanation I was given was lack of availability of material.

I have an opinion about it but I'm wanting to see if others drew similar conclusions before I opine.

This topic also tweeks my curiosity. What were the biggest production numbers and what year was that?

Joe Camper
12-17-2021, 07:54 AM
If u look at Hs that have been left outside look closely at the bay floors.

Soft bay floors r not rocket science to replace but it could involve some time depending on the bay.

Happy hunting.

Coloradobus
12-17-2021, 10:24 AM
Some of that bay moisture has to do with improper closing/latching the H bay door. You “can” just pull them down, but even then that force swinging down “may not” completely latch the door. You must must, once you pull bay doir closed, push each top corner to it clicks to latch. Otherwise, th3 top corners arent properly latch and moisture enters as rain or snowmelt run down coach sides

VASpartan
12-17-2021, 03:48 PM

I have an opinion about it but I'm wanting to see if others drew similar conclusions before I opine.

This topic also tweeks my curiosity. What were the biggest production numbers and what year was that?

It definitely could be the case. Anything with a chip in it has been affected at some point during 2021. Automobile factories were shut down for 2 weeks at a time. Other parts may be related to the same logistics delays that everyone is having, even if your parts are made in the U.S. Any parts made in Asia have been a problem and are still a problem for most manufacturers - even if you can afford the air. If the parts are big then your stuff is stuck in Long Beach with everyone else.

Gil_J
12-18-2021, 08:55 AM
Just a couple of other data points.

Prevost's Detailed Mechnical Inspection is not what the name implies. When the time comes I can tell you what to have them or another job inspect on the chassis.

Prevost doesn't inspect any of the house systems.

Prevost doesn't inspect a Detroit engine beyond their add ons, leaks and corrosion.

Not all PDIs are created equal. Steer clear of the RVIA certified inspectors. Only honest ones will tell you they're not qualified to inspect a Prevost conversion.

VASpartan
12-18-2021, 07:06 PM
Here's another I like if only aesthetics were important (I promise I won't keep doing this). I'm sharing this one because I might be able learn something about how dealers advertise.
* Is it possible the (Donnie Meyers) is only giving a taste that you do in fact call them......
* No mileage listed
* No pictures of bays, or engine, at all (though have observed some dealers just do this - not having them - as standard practice.
* This one says all of the stainless steel has been replaced. Can a shop to this, or is this really only a Prevost job (to know if it's been done right).
* Front and rear caps replaced - X3's. If any of you had to replace the front and/or rear cap, is that (X3) what you would do? Or is this the only option?
* Like the light interior and the wood floor (though the cabinet knobs gotta go).
* So Gil, this might make my list of the 1 of 3 toward the bottom end of my price range.

https://dmrv.com/coaches/2000-hoffman-coach-xlii/

Marks71
12-21-2021, 10:53 AM

My understanding is that the annual production fell dramatically after 2008 for obvious reasons (the economic crash) and never recovered to their pre-crash highs. Clearly supply issues have cramped this year's production, and we hear that the converters could have sold a lot more if they could have produced more ... but that still wouldn't be the biggest factor compared to pre-2008 would it?

I also wonder if quality is better post-2008 due to the drop in factory production. I don't have the experience and haven't been in the community long enough to have an opinion on that. Anyone?

Joe Camper
12-21-2021, 05:40 PM
It took long enough but that's exactly what I was thinking.

I don't care who u r, u cut production by half and allow craftsman to work very thoughtfully verses pushing product down the line and even if the product was of very high quality to begin with it's going to be better still.

I know a Liberty guy that went from an 08 to a 12 and the product was much more trouble free we had previously had this discussion, numerous times.

amt
12-22-2021, 11:02 AM
On finding a coach (from a recent first time buyer):
-Looks are important, but IMO more important on the interior, where you will spend most of your time.
-Try to decide if you want slides, as that seems to make a big difference in cost, but also consider how it will affect your ability to sell later if you need/want to.
-H3 vs X: At first I decided I would only consider an X chassis, but then realized I am ignoring 1/2 the market and may pass on a coach that is a great fit for me. Consider both in your search.
-Try to find a coach that has actually been used frequently in the last year. Chances are it is much more sorted than a coach which someone lost interest in and let sit for a couple years.
-You can sit on the fence for possibly years, or you can find a coach that checks most of the boxes from a trustworthy dealer, buy it, and enjoy it. Don't wait for the "perfect" coach; it does not exist.

In the end, I got an H3, while my preference was an XL2.

On low production numbers: We have to factor in the business of refurbishing used coaches, which perhaps is a lot higher these days for converters like Marathon. They seem to feature a lot of remodels in their videos.

VASpartan
12-22-2021, 11:38 AM
Andrew,

Thankyou for your inputs. I was hoping someone would reply to my bullet list and you did. Some of your earlier posts were among the first I read, though I don't recall reading that you found one! Congratulations! We have not shut off the H3's just yet. Hoping that we can see many of both at Prevost Expo.

Joe Camper
12-23-2021, 07:33 AM
For some really ignorant and inconsiderate reason many many dealers taking in trades r in the habit of taking all the previous owners service records and throwing them away.

Many of u r quite aware this could be volumes of valuable time and info.

If I were buying a well cared for coach from a dealer and it was void of all service records I would make that decision cost them signicantly or I would seriously consider moving on.

Those of u trading please keep All your service records when u trade in an attempt to get them into the hands of the next guy instead of allowing all your time and efforts to end up in a dumpster.

If I had a bus for a long time with extensive records and traded it to find this is what became of all my time and effort I would be really pissed off it would be very tough to forgive that.

The only reason I can think why they would do that would be to potentially create more revenue for service centers.

Someone straighten me out here if my comments r unfounded.

Danj
12-23-2021, 09:57 AM
Car dealers have been doing this forever. Why? I think if they throw the evidence away they think their conscience is clear. I have tried four times in the last 2 years to buy a prevost. Two Dallas dealers were two hours late for our appointment. One Phoenix dealer though panel delam was a joke. One Phoenix dealer said he would put a price on a incoming coach when he got it in. Well guess what he sold it before contacting me. He claimed someone was on his lot when it arrived and bought it on the spot. Question is do they treat people that are buying a million dollar coach the same way as on buying a 200K coach.

Coloradobus
12-23-2021, 11:02 AM
This is what the Hoffman originally looked like. Its been there at least three. http://www.prevost-stuff.com/2001PrevostHoffmanXLII_DMLC1818.html

Gil_J
12-24-2021, 06:29 AM
Car dealers have been doing this forever. Why? I think if they throw the evidence away they think their conscience is clear. I have tried four times in the last 2 years to buy a prevost. Two Dallas dealers were two hours late for our appointment. One Phoenix dealer though panel delam was a joke. One Phoenix dealer said he would put a price on a incoming coach when he got it in. Well guess what he sold it before contacting me. He claimed someone was on his lot when it arrived and bought it on the spot. Question is do they treat people that are buying a million dollar coach the same way as on buying a 200K coach.

Let's just say not all dealers are the same. Some, not all, are in business to stay in business.