PDA

View Full Version : Detroil Diesel Oil and Fuel Filter Change

Fratto
12-03-2021, 08:55 PM
I have not seen a discussion on whether or not to pre-fill the oil and fuel filters for the DD series 60. There is information out there on both sides.

For those of you that are doing this yourselves, do you pre-fill the oil filters?

Do you pre-fill the fuel filters?

Thanks as always ... looking forward to February!

wjohnson720
12-03-2021, 09:16 PM
I fill both oil and fuel filters before installing.

Gil_J
12-03-2021, 10:34 PM
I always fill both. Some manufacturers don't recommend prefilled saying the oil or fuel is not going through the filter media.

Joe Camper
12-04-2021, 07:10 AM
So starve the engine of oil on a cold start, when it needs it most, from any lubrication for fear u might have a grain of dirt in the fresh oil.

Rediculous.

If choose not to prime the fuel filter u prefer roasting the starter instead.

What about the air filter?

wjohnson720
12-04-2021, 08:33 AM
Mark, i will also punch a hole in the old filters before removing and let the oil or fuel drain out of the filter. then i take it off the coach. i will also raise the back of the bus to provide a little more clearance to crawl under. But remember to use the stands to support the bus for safety. really a very easy job.

i was shocked at the cost of the radiator fan gearbox oil! two quarts $60. mobile shc 634. thankfully that does not get changed very often.

wjohnson720
12-04-2021, 08:38 AM
my large oil catch. ordered off amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloTool-42008-Crude-Control/dp/B000F64S7U/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=4NL68FP81XNI&keywords=flo+tool+oil+container&qid=1638625519&sprefix=flo+tool+%2Caps%2C222&sr=8-3

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18071&stc=1

Fratto
12-04-2021, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone. I agree and was struggling to understand why you would not prefill.

Joe, I get a little winded doing it, but I have always prefilled my air filters.

BTW, does anyone have a diagram showing the lubrication points?

Gil_J
12-04-2021, 09:51 AM
So starve the engine of oil on a cold start, when it needs it most, from any lubrication for fear u might have a grain of dirt in the fresh oil.

Rediculous.

If choose not to prime the fuel filter u prefer roasting the starter instead.

What about the air filter?

Totally agreed. I guess the oil isn't filter before it goes into the containers.

Gil_J
12-04-2021, 09:54 AM
Thanks everyone. I agree and was struggling to understand why you would not prefill.

Joe, I get a little winded doing it, but I have always prefilled my air filters.

BTW, does anyone have a diagram showing the lubrication points?

The decal showing lube points may still be on the door just outside the driver's seat. Otherwise, it's in the manual. The pivot arm for the fan clutch assembly is not listed. I don't recall if the axle lift chamber mount is either.

georgiapeachinc
12-04-2021, 11:06 AM
Filling oil and fuel filters are a must. We also dip our finger in fresh oil and lubricate the gaskets on our oil filters which makes it easy to get that last twist tight. I would also recommend getting extra filters and oil now. We use a lot of oil and filters and both are getting scarce depending which brands you use. Our suppliers have filters and oil by the drum on back order. Oil suppliers are having trouble getting steel drums to fill with oil. I waited a month to get CAT fuel filters. Prices have gone up also. Plan ahead!

Joe Camper
12-04-2021, 08:20 PM
Gill i think even if it goes through the engine first pressure will not build to running pressure until those filters r full. The 2 of them hold over a gallon.

Gil_J
12-04-2021, 08:39 PM
Gill i think even if it goes through the engine first pressure will not build to running pressure until those filters r full. The 2 of them hold over a gallon.

I never gave much thought to where the oil filters are in the flow. I'd guess they are after the oil has moved through most of the engine. Either way, I fill mine.

Fratto
12-05-2021, 07:49 PM
Thanks again, really appreciate everyone's input