PDA

View Full Version : 50 amp needed while parked?

teskind
10-15-2021, 09:56 PM
<tbody style="box-sizing: border-box;">

<tbody style="box-sizing: border-box;">
http://prevostcommunity.com/forum/images/xthread.gif
Thread
teskind (teskind@gmail.com)

</tbody>

https://www.prevostcommunity.com/forum/images/pushpin.gif

i recently bought a 99 liberty classic (12v) and plan on keeping it in a climate controlled rv storage place that has standard 20 amp plugs but no 30 or 50 amp avail. I've been told i can adjust the inverters to "step down" so it doesn't have to draw 30 amps.
I'm thinking of keeping it behind my office i own where i can easily install a 50 amp plug.
Questions:
1. If i leave it non-garaged, out in the open so to speak, but plugged in all the time, would i still have to winterize the bus?
2. Is having it plugged in at all times while not traveling and parked sufficient?
I currently plan on being gone in it 1-2 weeks per month before parking it till next trip. i live in western NC close to charlotte and we only get snow around 1 week/yr and freezing temps for maybe a week at a time.
i can build a insulated/non insulated bus garage but trying to not put too much into parking it until i can build a structure close to my home.
thanks,

</tbody>

Joe Camper
10-16-2021, 05:43 PM
Leave it outside for as short as possible. They really need to be garaged. Even when its parked for 2 week intervals.

Gil_J
10-17-2021, 08:59 AM
A code compliant 15/20A outdoor outlet will be GFCI protected. It most likely will not work.

Yes you should winterize the bus. You don't have enough power for heat. Even if you did you risk a power loss resulting in freezing conditions. Don't risk it.

georgiapeachinc
10-17-2021, 09:32 AM
I can tell you from experience having parked our coach in an RV climate controlled storage, that even a 30 amp outlet can be worrisome. The coach parked next to mine was on the same 30 amp outlet. I leave nothing on in our coach except the inverters which is necessary for the battery chargers. At some point the coach next to mine was drawing more than the circuit could handle and the circuit breaker tripped. Over a two week period when I returned the house batteries were dead. If the coach next to me had food in the refrigerator he was screwed.