PDA

View Full Version : Window blind stuck up

Ck2hans
07-12-2021, 09:15 PM
Bedroom window blind is stuck up. I have removed the motor and tested it in a different location, motor works fine. Testing the power on the other motors & I get 12 vt pos in one direction and 12vt -neg in other direction. Testing leads on bedroom blind that's not working I only get 12 vt neg (blind goes up but not down so that explains that).

I am guessing there must be a relay somewhere that has failed. Can someone confirm there are relays in the system and guide me to where I might find said relay.

Chuck

Hoffman
07-12-2021, 09:21 PM
Are you sure your blind just hasn't lost it's preset stop points and things fully open is the down-stop setting?
i've had this happen.
Depending on the manufacturer, there's reset buttons to change the stop points. What is your brand of blind?

Ck2hans
07-13-2021, 07:39 AM
Hi Joe:
I have the Somfy blind motors and you are correct about the buttons for the stop points, I have had that problem too. Unfortunately that is not the issue because the motor works fine when connected to a different blind location. The problem is defiantly the voltage not changing when the shade switch is pushed.

Pete
07-13-2021, 08:53 AM
Chuck, I have had unusual issues with the blinds on my Featherlite as well. Try turning off the power to the 12v (dc) cabinet in the bay, leave it off for a couple of minutes, the turn back on. Sometime the relays in the DC cabinet do not reset.
Will be interested to see if it works for you. If I recall, I turned off the inverter switches in the same bay.

Ck2hans
07-13-2021, 09:19 PM
Hi Pete;
Did try that, No good. blind still not working.
Chuck

RPSHOP
07-14-2021, 08:31 PM
Had that happen to a 2001 Liberty XLII. Ended up replacing the entire Blind Controller Unit because parts were not available to repair the old one.
Not sure that's any help tp you..........good luck.

Ck2hans
07-18-2021, 04:18 PM
http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17668&stc=1
Found the problem. There is a board that controls the blinds in the lower bay. One of the relays has gone bad, unfortunately it is one of the soldered in relays so it's going to take a little bit longer to fix than just a plug and play relay.

Chuck

Prodriver
08-29-2021, 01:05 PM
What shop can fix this?

Hoffman
08-29-2021, 01:20 PM
I'm curious how you determined it was a relay and which one? Who hard soldiers relays?
I would expect any electronics repair shop could fix this if they knew which relay, which hopefully can be determined by markings on the side of the relay.

Gil_J
08-29-2021, 01:41 PM
I'm curious how you determined it was a relay and which one? Who hard soldiers relays?
I would expect any electronics repair shop could fix this if they knew which relay, which hopefully can be determined by markings on the side of the relay.

Soldered relays are not uncommon. It saves money. Replacing the relay should be simple for any service shop that repairs circuit boards. A soldering iron and solder sucker or wicking material is all it takes.

Pete
08-29-2021, 04:58 PM
Chuck, please post your findings as to which board and what component you find faulty. I too have intermittent problems on my bedroom shades. I think there are at least 2 and maybe 3 boards that control the blinds. Thanks, Pete

Ck2hans
08-30-2021, 08:34 AM
Found bad relay by opening up panel in lower bay, listening then touching the individual relays while my wife pressed the blind button, until I could feel the one that was only clicking once not twice (should click twice, once for up - once for down).

Took the board out and sent it to Featherlite in Sandford, Fl. They ended up sending it to a contact they have that rebuild Somfy blind boards. Had all 10 relays and a few diodes replaced. $450 including shipping both ways.

Chuck

Pete
08-30-2021, 08:52 AM
Thanks Chuck, I will give that a try.