PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Prevost XL 40 Le Mirage RV Conversion

Detles
06-27-2021, 03:00 PM
Hi Everybody
My name is Detlef and I am now the owner of a Le Mirage RV Conversion
Done in 2005-2006 on Vancouver Island in British Columbia
The reason I bought that coach was I always wanted something with high quality wood interior
We have here in Victoria the old wooden boat show and I really liked it
Never thought I could buy a bus with the same cozy feeling
Very well done from the guy who did that
But he was the owner of the most successful wood busyness here on Vancouver Island
Money to do it was plenty available and it shows
Lucky me...
He converted the engine to a 500 hp Detroit 60 and redid the transmission as well
So far so good
Now the nasty stuff
One of the engine department hinges broke before I was able to drive it
I do not get the bolds out without proper tools and location
The coach is stored outside safe but only power is available
The air condition stopped with a lot of white smoke and overpressure sound
The tires are not as the former owner promised me 6 years old
They are 16 years old
I did a 410 $ pre purchase inspection and they missed checking it
I took me over a month to get my air brake endorsement and now I can not drive the coach because I am afraid to lose the left engine department door
I guess to buy a coach is the most easy part
There is a lot of other very important conditions involved
My perfect situation would be a retired guy who is very experienced to show me the ropes
Any commend is highly appreciated
Cheers Detlef

Gil_J
06-27-2021, 07:35 PM
Being what appears to be a one off, you would be best to find someone that knows the systems and can logically figure out what you have. I could help you, but travel costs would be too much. If you're in Canada, that further restricts who could help.

It doesn't take 10 years to convert a coach. What was it before this conversion? 16 year old tires should not be driven on...period.

Detles
06-27-2021, 08:16 PM
The Le Mirage is a 54 seater Bus
Did run in Texas for 9 years
Imported to Canada in 2005
Conversion time to 2006 or 2007
Miles now around 5,500 mls
Generator time 108 hours

freds
06-27-2021, 11:12 PM
OK I do have to say the interior of your bus is fantastic, even though I do not like the singles in the bedroom!!!

As to the running condition of the bus I severely drought the actually reported mileage as that is assuming it just went to Texas and sat for nine years and then returned to Canada.

Highly suspect undocumented replacement odometer(maybe after the engine change), especially if it didn't come out of the factory as a motorhome. Chassis serial number would start with MTH if so. If not you have a bus that did lots of duty as passenger bus before it's conversion by a non name brand converter, so good luck asking for help on living space systems. Also your air conditioners look the same vintage/version as my 1980 for what it is worth, so they might have been recycled. Heck do you actually have four of them?

You don't give your location, however I would hunt down a bus touring company that ran Prevost's and inquire about someone who retired/old salt and has time to tinker and document what you actually have.

Given that the bus has been repowered (it seems), maybe they went through the entire drive train with new bushing, air bags and brakes.

However if the bags are the same age as the tires I would do a whole sale replacement of them.

But hey welcome to the group!!!

Detles
06-28-2021, 12:02 AM
Hi Freds
For me the interior is the key
That s Rosewood though out
All the cabinets are solid best wood quality
The Coach had probably a high mileage in Texas
The guy who build it to his specifications had its own ideas
As I said he had the biggest wood chain company on Vancouver Island
He did not cut corners
The mileage after the new build is correct
This is a piece of Art
Not for everybody but I would not touch an original interior from the mid 90
The guy died with 70
Way to young
Everything well done but still too long sitting around and after his death nobody did care about it
It need now labor of love and knowledge
I can only provide one part but I am not prepared to pay 150 $ an hour to bring it up to snuff
I have to start to become creative
Cheers Detlef

Joe Camper
06-28-2021, 08:13 AM
If i had a significant other and fond of and had a choice of beds a queen would be my last choice. Its either a king matress for 2 or twins. I can not share a queen size bed comfortably with someone and always wondered about the abundence of them in campers. Very nice bus. Lots of awning windows thats rare and the extra upper front marker lights r a nice touch. Good luck.

U say he converted the engine but its a 96 so it came with a 60 series can u expound on that??? It was blown up or he turned it up or what happened there?

Detles
06-28-2021, 10:04 AM
Hi Joe
the original engine did not have enough power for the builder
he upgraded it with the more powerful engine
completely fine with me
no lack of power in any situation now
and the engine break sound really good and healthy
all good from that end
transmission redone as well
front brakes converted to discs
the tires look like new
but 16 years old
I will replace them
costs are 7800 $ can $
and it has automatic slack adjusters too
as I know they came after 1996
Cheers Detlef

Ck2hans
06-28-2021, 10:09 AM
Hey Joe:

I thought you like to sleep with Gracie in the bed every now and then. LOL

Chuck & Katrina

Joe Camper
06-28-2021, 11:04 AM
She is a total bed hog , beats me into bed and piles up right in the middle. And she snores. Females

Joe Camper
06-28-2021, 11:53 AM
U need to hook up with someone with a bus themselves with place for u to park who invites u to come.

Register it put tires on it drive it out and camp it for as long as u can. Come to Chicago for a couple weeks ill help u sort things out to some degree. Im home for all of August.

Detles
06-28-2021, 02:46 PM
Thank you for your kindness
I keep you posted
Cheers Detlef

Joe Camper
06-29-2021, 09:50 AM
U mention u had a disk brake upgrade. A 96 came either rockwell disc from the factory tag and steer or at least 1 axle had them there was a timeframe where some chassis had knore bremsa steer drum drive rockwell tag.

Anyway if the prior owner was able to change to knore bremsa from rockwell discs there r more than a few guys that would be very interested in that info me included.

Detles
06-29-2021, 07:45 PM
The vin # is 2PCL33406T1025672
That indicates it is from the factory a Le Mirage 54 seater bus
I guess you have all the info to what is possible or not
As I said the guy did not cut corners

Gil_J
06-29-2021, 08:11 PM
OK I do have to say the interior of your bus is fantastic, even though I do not like the singles in the bedroom!!!

As to the running condition of the bus I severely drought the actually reported mileage as that is assuming it just went to Texas and sat for nine years and then returned to Canada.

Highly suspect undocumented replacement odometer(maybe after the engine change), especially if it didn't come out of the factory as a motorhome. Chassis serial number would start with MTH if so. If not you have a bus that did lots of duty as passenger bus before it's conversion by a non name brand converter, so good luck asking for help on living space systems. Also your air conditioners look the same vintage/version as my 1980 for what it is worth, so they might have been recycled. Heck do you actually have four of them?

You don't give your location, however I would hunt down a bus touring company that ran Prevost's and inquire about someone who retired/old salt and has time to tinker and document what you actually have.

Given that the bus has been repowered (it seems), maybe they went through the entire drive train with new bushing, air bags and brakes.

However if the bags are the same age as the tires I would do a whole sale replacement of them.

But hey welcome to the group!!!

Prevost has never used MTH in their VIN that I'm aware of.

Detles
06-29-2021, 09:32 PM
More pictures from the coach

Detles
06-29-2021, 09:43 PM
I just like to know how this build is received
i own converted Heritage Buildings in town and do send classics cars to Germany ����
Honestly a lot of the new stuff makes me really nervous
I like it more the old fashion way
I wonder if there is a market for coaches like that
the conversion is not a brand name so that must be a minus
what else is a disadvantage ?
if I would be more handy and would enjoy working on it it could be some kind of a dream
for me without the skills it can be a nightmare

Gil_J
06-30-2021, 02:09 PM
Nice looking interior.

Things that may impact resale.
-- It was a passenger bus shell. This may cause some difficulties with registration as a motorhome.
-- Passenger buses would not typically have the same rating as a motorhome. It MAY be over weight.
-- Roof airs installed without ducting are loud.
-- As you know, no converter support. That can be offset somewhat with detailed build information.

What does it have for systems? Do you have pictures of the bays?

Detles
07-01-2021, 12:29 AM
Here we go

Gil_J
07-01-2021, 09:51 PM
Not too much to see in the photos.
-- The engine pulleys that aren't used suggest it had Prevost Bus Air at some point.
-- I see what may be a battery charger (yellow box). No inverter. Besides cable restraints and possible need for additional fuses or breakers, it looks better than some others.
-- Propane tanks must be sealed off from all other compartments and well vented to the ground. I don't see adequate ventilation and wonder if the compartment is totally sealed preventing any possibility on gas entering the bays oor living space. A really good idea is to have a gas detector in the coach with an automatic propane shutoff valve. These are commonplace in yachts. There shouldn't be any spark source in the compartment. I think I see something electrical that would likely be a spark source.

Detles
07-01-2021, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the input
I will provide more pictures
I am so torn to make it really nice
is it worth it ?
very important question
I have to figure it out BEFORE I start doing it
no way around it
I do not know if the bus is working together with me
I am sure some people not even know what I am talking about
The forum is a great please to share knowledge and trade experience
Cheers Detlef

Detles
07-01-2021, 11:04 PM
Please do not forget
it’s not the original engine
to my knowledge
3 air conditioning systems are in the bus
roof, driver and floor

Detles
07-01-2021, 11:17 PM
More pictures
I hope it is possible to get some idea now
I have to take a picture from the generator
he is hidden behind a removable wall

Detles
07-02-2021, 12:21 AM
Parts of the coach are really professional done
Other parts not
after the builder / owner parted with the bus it was over with the proper care
the mileage is correct
under 6000 mls
it reflects the tires who still look like new
but from the stamp code are from 2005 all around
same with the provincial inspection sticker
engine and engine department is not nice to look at
why ?
where is the problem to paint or at least clean the engine before you put it in ?
supposed to redone internally
sounds and drives like that
someone told me they changed the most stuff with the engine still in the frame
bottom line the engine does not match the expectations you see inside the coach
period

Joe Camper
07-02-2021, 09:27 AM
What runs off propane. Thats enough gas to power a cooktop for years. Water heater? Furnace? What? Although I am not of the opinion most of the prevo crowd view propane as a big negative.

I wonder how big the fresh water tank is it looks huge.

Regardless how much u turn up the hp in a bus when the coolent temp gets to 210 the ECM pulls the HP back and when u turn one up in a bus with the rad in the back that is what tends to happen so usually u can turn one up only so far and it will then benefit to some degree.

I told Cat to stay away from mine with the rattle cans. The absence of fresh paint displays the petina only a good piece with many miles can provide.

Detles
07-02-2021, 10:55 AM
Eberspaecher heating
Fridge
Hot water
maybe more….

Detles
07-02-2021, 11:00 AM
My best friend in Germany said the same
better to leave the engine like it is
looks honest nothing to hide
but it’s for sure no showpiece

Joe Camper
07-02-2021, 11:36 AM
Huge water pump. What toilet did he use?

That fridge will run for about a month on 1 20 lb tank.

Joe Camper
07-02-2021, 11:44 AM
Id like to see a closer picture of the paneltronics center in the coffee table. I want to see what all that is!!!

Detles
07-02-2021, 11:27 PM
The panel is interesting
The generator has only 108 hours
does that fit to the mileage of 5500 mls ?

Joe Camper
07-04-2021, 01:56 PM
Paneltronics has a lot to choose from. Ive used that stuff before thats what ill use in mine. I like the look it kinda dates it but i like that era.

Here is an old project i did with paneltronics. Analog gauges and manual switch. Fun project. I like the way they format and organize the panels. DC volts and amps on the panel and AC volts and amps to the left. Between just the 2 sources Granger and Paneltronic i put everyrhing togeather. They r both still in buisness too!!

I built the box out of wood and got the shape and dimention exactly how i wanted.

craiglenz
07-04-2021, 02:34 PM
The vin # is 2PCL33406T1025672
That indicates it is from the factory a Le Mirage 54 seater bus
I guess you have all the info to what is possible or not
As I said the guy did not cut corners

Pretty sure that vin number should read 2PCL33496T not 06T mine is 2PCM33496T1025688 which is only 16 coaches after yours if it is a 96. The PCL vs PCM would tell me it wasnt build as a Motorome Shell. Both speedo and hobbs meters have been changed and Id stick to that story if your trying to sell it. Interior was in deed done by very skilled craftsman. Invertor and batteries appear to be a little on the lite side but with most appliances on LPG it likely does fine.

Good luck on your venture. Get Joe to go through it and you will know what you have and what you need. Hope the Vin info is helpful.

Gil_J
07-04-2021, 08:58 PM
Lots of good stuff. Just know I only recommend you invest in changes if you see value in them. Don't expect them to pay for themselves at time if sale. If your Espar is propane, that would be strange. Most are diesel in a coach.

Detles
07-05-2021, 08:30 PM
It should for a guy with the right knowledge a dream project
all the expensive stuff is done
someone should give the coach the final touch and enjoy the ride
cheers Detlef
1-250-812-7585

Detles
07-06-2021, 07:54 AM
How life is taking over
My plan was to take the bus together with a friend to Dawson City in the Yukon in the beginning of September
Now my father had a fall in Germany and is in the hospital
He is turning 90 in September
My Step mother has now quite severe dementia and it is over for the guys to live alone in there condo in Germany
I have to fly over and do all the arrangements to find an assisted care facility, selling there real estate etc…
Adios nice trip to Dawson
I will run out of time
here we go …
it’s just a different movie to take care of a 40 feet 17 ton Motorhome
All the years with the classic cars no problem
Into the garage lock the door and end of story
A coach like that it’s more a complete lifestyle change
I love the bus but I am not the guy who leave something like that outside in the open in the winter time etc
I just have from my circumstances not the time to take proper care of it
I looked years ago at a property here in Victoria on a lake with a very huge garage and I thought what can I do with it ?
Honestly with a time machine I would go back and buy the place now
I would love to bring the Prevost to a home like that and drive him into the garage
Cheers Detlef

Detles
07-06-2021, 04:30 PM
My vin # is correct
Thanks for the info
Most likely I will sell the coach

Fratto
07-06-2021, 08:15 PM
So sorry to hear that Detlef. You and your family are in our prayers

Detles
07-06-2021, 08:53 PM
Thank you
My parents had a really good life and are now almost 90 and 85
I am 63 and it shows me better to do all the stuff I still want to do in life better now..
That s one of the reason I still hesitate in the moment to put the coach on the market
The interior is done in timeless beauty and will be classy forever
In a lot of aspects it fits me like a glove
I just have too much on the go...
I have a very good reputation in Germany for classic cars and the customer like my quality
If I can make someone happy with that coach I am happy too
The craftmanship of the woodwork done its outstanding
As I said I can sit inside and admire the work done for hours
Just beautiful...
Cheers Detlef