PDA

View Full Version : Lift tag when pulling a trailer?

Elliott
06-16-2021, 04:28 PM
I have a stacker trailer. When making a tight turn or a U turn, would you lift the tag axle? I'm hesitant only because of the added weight from the trailer, around 1500 lbs.

Thanks for your comments

Hoffman
06-16-2021, 05:01 PM
My Tag weighs 14,800lbs when down. When lifted most of that weight gets transferred to the drive axle, although not all as the tag doesn't actually get lifted off the ground. I've not weighted it lifted, probably should have.
This data tells me that an additional 1500lbs from the trailer seems negligible.
However as a good practice, I raise the tag as minimal as possible. For example, if sitting still waiting to turn, i don't lift yet, i wait until i'm ready to execute the turn, thus minimizing the amount of time the power axle is carrying the extra load.
I lower it as i'm nearly completing the turn, i don't wait for a complete straight condition before lowering it.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Elliott
06-16-2021, 06:00 PM
Thanks for that information, I didn't realize the tag weighs so much, yes in comparison it's negligible, I guess in a tight situation it would not hurt to lift the tag, very helpful thank you

I should mention I have an 07 XL2 DS

Hoffman
06-16-2021, 06:23 PM
The X might weight a bit less.
I also don't lift the tag on gradual/gentle curves, part lazy, part feeling like it's not necessary. But on sharp curves, definitely lift, as it helps make a sharper turn and it reduces the sidewall pressure on the tag tires.

BGLogistics
06-16-2021, 06:45 PM
I'm no expert whatsoever, but I have never lifted tag to make a turn. My tag tires will likely age out long before any additional scrubbing wear makes a difference. For entertainers etc. that replace tires due to treadwear I guess that might be wise.

I do lift tag prior to climbing on ramps with drive axle (that I made to use at home for easier servicing).

Elliott
06-16-2021, 06:47 PM
I too only lift the tag on sharp turns, not gradual turns, not sure I really notice any difference in turning angle with the tag up, these buses can really turn in severe angles, it sometimes looks like it's not going to make the turn but it does, impressive!

Gil_J
06-17-2021, 11:33 AM
Entertainers do and they have HEAVY trailers. Personally, I only lift mine when making extreme turns at crawling speeds. Mainly when backing into a site.

Elliott
06-17-2021, 11:46 AM
ok good to know I can lift the tag with a trailer if needed, many thanks for your replies!

truxton
06-17-2021, 06:40 PM
Elliot

Entertainers pull 2 axle 15 foot trailers full of guitars. I don't know how that translates to heavy.

Raising your tag in a tight turn is a no no while pulling a stacker. If you are turning tight you have a good chance of putting the front corner of your trailer in the back of your bus.

Think about that.

Later
bv

Gil_J
06-17-2021, 07:03 PM
Bernie

Maybe all entertainers are not the same. Many, if not most, are carrying heavy amps and stage equipment. They exceed 10K pounds. Maybe that's not heavy. The last I was at Night Train they were building thier own trailers given most commercial made ones didn't last long with the weight they pull.

truxton
06-17-2021, 07:08 PM
it's not the weight Gil, they get beat to crap from bouncing on shit roads. If their carrying part of the stage in a 15 foot trailer their in trouble.

Later
bv

truk4u
06-17-2021, 07:32 PM
Look at Bernie’s Avatar, you can take his advice to the bank, he’s been pulling a trailer since Sonny and Will were puppies. Only old truckers will get that….

Ck2hans
06-18-2021, 09:13 AM
Was in a Bass Pro parking lot the other day, I picked the wrong aisle getting out of the parking lot and realized 2/3s of the way through the turn that I wasn't going to make it. Raised the tag and was able to shorten the turn the extra few feet I needed to make the turn. Amazing how much tighter you can turn with the tag up. With it down I just wasn't going to get any tighter of a turn.
Chuck

BGLogistics
06-18-2021, 10:36 AM
Sonny and Will. Sounds like Movin On - loved that show.

MIsheeTX
08-21-2022, 07:00 PM
Great advice, Bernie. I think I saw your YouTube interview with Mal at Marathon (forgive me if I am wrong) and liked the "pro-tip" on the Rail Ryder tech. Beautiful coach and stacker. Also have a ATC matching stacker for our Marathon H3. Best wishes! Mike