PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Volts/Amps

Jim_Scoggins
04-08-2007, 09:26 AM
For info:
Thought you all would like to see this. Negative amps!
Plugged in. Fully charged. Nothing much on except the fridge.
If I really load up the #2 side of the load center the amps will finally go positive to readings one would expect.

Everything electrical otherwise seems to be working just fine.

Liberty reps at both Chicago and Stuart both suspect a bad #2 ammeter as the probable culprit.

Weird!

Just Plain Jeff
04-08-2007, 09:34 AM
No one can correctly diagnose a complicated electrical problem online, however there are some things that you can do to eliminate the obvious.

The first step may be to check your shoreline connection. Here's a link on that one: http://www.prevost-stuff.com/lovejuice-article.html ("http://www.prevost-stuff.com/lovejuice-article.html"). And it's an easy fix.

I haven't ever seen panel problems before as they are pretty bulletproof, but you never know.

Do you get the same reading on GEN as you do on shore power?

Think about the inverters and try to recycle them as well.

OK, I'm done playing sparky here.

jello_jeep
04-08-2007, 09:43 AM
I know you are saying you are fully charged, but wouldn't a (-) there mean it was pulling a charge on that leg ?

I see that on my panels sometimes, and that is what I took it for...

garyde
04-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Is there a Solar Panel in line with that Leg?

nrhareiner
04-08-2007, 04:40 PM
Good afternoon,

When I had a Liberty, I would see that exact picture when plugged in to 50 amp, but only one leg getting any electricity. As long as leg 1 is fine, the bus will register the amps and volts on that leg, and a negative number on the other.

Kim Sloan
02 Vantare S2
Dodge megacab

ChuckWall
04-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Possibly too easy - On our '94 Liberty I was a bit uneasy about going into the electric panel - but - it kept doing weird things and reading out odd numbers and one side seemed to work and the other did not - same answer you got when talking to Liberty and a comment that it could be anything. Decided to at least take a look - so I opened it up and decided to pull the LED readouts - as soon as I took the nuts off - everything returned to normal operation - these panels evidently used either fiber nuts or nylon nuts but in any event they did not have metal nuts directly on the circuit boards and it was obvious that at least one nut was grounding out as it had been tightened enough to go through the lacquer on the back of the board. Nylon washers at .02 each at the hardware store solved the problem - fortunately this did not burn out any components and it has performed as expected for the last year and half.

Too simple - and not something I would have expected.

Hope this helps you - one word of caution - there is 120V AC on the busses back here - and it is not always obvious where this goes - The LEDs on the breakers are all 120V & so are the main busses - the readouts are low voltage but be careful or make sure all power is killed. The inverters can power these busses without either the generator or shore power hooked up.

Good Luck
Chuck Wall