PDA

View Full Version : straight 40 wt.

bluevost
04-04-2007, 06:05 PM
I have two cases of Delo 400 straight 40 wt. left over from my 8-92 days. There are six 1 gallon jugs in a case and I want $42.00 per case, by the case only. Will bring to Kerrville if you like. First come, first served.

Happy Easter everybody,

dale farley
04-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Ken,

I will take both cases if you can bring them to Kerrville. If others ask for a case, then I will just take one, and someone else can have the other. Thanks. Dale

Loc
04-05-2007, 07:56 AM
Just a note. According to the Chevron Delo website, Delo 400 oils are not recommended for Detroit two stroke engines. If you go to their website (here is the link): https://www.cbest.chevron.com/msdsServer/controller?module=com.chevron.lubes.msds.bus.BusPD SList&region=NA&txtPDSNumber=DELO&directPDSLink=TRUE&isLoginPage=true&lbLanguage=e ("https://www.cbest.chevron.com/msdsServer/controller?module=com.chevron.lubes.msds.bus.BusPD SList&region=NA&txtPDSNumber=DELO&directPDSLink=TRUE&isLoginPage=true&lbLanguage=e")

and then open the first publication on Chevron Delo 400, on the second page, second full paragraph is the advisory. I believe it is because the ash content is 1.35 versus the DDC spec of 1.0 max. The DDC spec requires a CF-2 API service category. Based on my review of the Delo 400 information, the 40 weight does not meet this requirement.

The only Chevron oil that meets the CF-2 API service category is Chevron Delo 100. The Delo 100 information affirmatively indicates that Delo 100 meets the DDC two stroke requirements for maximum ash content.

I found this out a couple of years ago when the shop that was doing oil changes on my bus said they were using Delo 400. I couldn't find the CF-2 API service catergory on the oil and started doing a little research. I am not sure if using the 400 would result in issues, but I chose not to given the advisory from Chevron.

dale farley
04-05-2007, 09:14 AM
This is a surprise to me since I have talked to others who said Dello 400 was the one to use; but I do see the Chevron guidelines say, "NO" and hopefully, Chevron knows what they are talking about.

Am I the only one on this forum using Dello 400 in my 8V92? I was going to use it because the previous owner told me he just changed the oil and added Dello 400. What other oils are approved and and being used by 8V92 owners?

Ken, based on this informaiton, I suppose I should retract my statement about taking the two cases. Thanks. Dale

Jon Wehrenberg
04-05-2007, 10:37 AM
I am sure there are a bunch of approved oils but when we lived in western NY there were not a lot of options. Since DD has always recommended the Mobil oils I used the Mobil 1200 exclusively. It meets the specs.

dale farley
04-05-2007, 11:12 AM
I made numerous phone calls to Chevron, Detroit Service Centers, and Prevost in Jacksonville, FL. I got a variety of answers; some that I know were wrong. The tech at Prevost told me to use 15-40, but when I said I know I am not supposed to use multi weight oil in a 2-cycle, he said he would have to check with someone else and give me a call back.

I talked to several Detroit Service Centers that told me the only thing that matters is that it is a straight weight 40W, and they have used Delo 400 for years.

I called a Chevron Distributor in Mobile, Al, and he read a specification to me that said Delo 30, 40, or 50W were approved for Detroit 2-cycle engines. I told him what I had read on the Chevron website, so he gave me the phone number of the Chief Engineer at Chevron. When I asked the engineer he said that Delo 400 was recommended for years, but as oils have improved, the Delo 100 is now the best oil for the 2-cycle Detroit because of the lower ash content. Based on this info, I will change to another oil, but I am not concerned about the fact that I've had Delo 400 in the engine since the last oil change.

dalej
04-05-2007, 11:50 AM
FYI, I use Mobil Delvac 1640 in mine. Used to be 1340 or somthing close to that. I have a 55 gal barrel.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Used to be 1240. The multi viscosity was 1300

dalej
04-05-2007, 12:45 PM
I bet your right Jon, It was a year or so ago since I had the other number. I ask why they changed the number, he said they just do.

bluevost
04-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Roadrunner--no problem on the oil

now I am going to throw in my 2 cents worth. Delaney and Aulf, probably the finest DD/Allison repair shop in California, privately owned and celebrating their 60th year in business this year, recommends Delo 400. I think you guys are splitting hairs here with this ash count business. I don't know how many tens of thousands of miles my old Eagle bus ran with Delo 400, but it was a bunch.

See you all in K'ville, 17 days away!!

Happy Easter,

Jon Wehrenberg
04-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Ken,

If you are interested you might want to contact DD and see what their tech people say about that particular oil. That might be something to share not only with POG, but the Prevost Stuff site.

I have learned not to trust an opinion from a tech or a dealer, (buses or planes). Sometimes we get fed old wive's tales, sometimes we get fiction disguised as fact and a lot of the time we get the truth. It is hard to sort out the fact from fiction so I try to do my own homework

bluevost
04-05-2007, 03:55 PM
I have another one for you guys to ruminate over.

I had a problem in my tranny, sensor was reading low transmission fluid and would not allow me to put the transmission in gear. I managed to get to Prevost Mira Loma thinking a fluid and filter change would fix the problem. When the tech was adding fluid I asked him what he was using and he said Dexron (sp?) III. OK.

After the service, the sensor was still misreading. So I took the bus over to a DD/Allison place, literally across the street from Prevost. They dropped the transmission, put in a new sensor, and filled the transmission with Syntech (?). I said "what about Dexron III?" The tech says you should never use Dexron III in this transmission. New trannies come with Syntech.

Go figure!!!

Ray Davis
04-05-2007, 04:39 PM
When I first purchased my bus I took it to Prevost Mira Loma for a complete oil change and transmission service. At the time I told them to put in the synthetic in the tranny, since I heard "that was the way to go".

Before actually servicing, they called me and basically told me we'll put in the synthetic "if you want", but for the transmission mated with the 8v92, they recommended regular Dexron. They indicated those transmissions don't get hot enough to warrant the synthetic, and said I would be wasting a lot of money putting it in.

ray

dalej
04-05-2007, 06:16 PM
And like my seals that I'm relacing, I called two reliable Prevost service people that I like (one older and one younger) to see what to refill the rear drive and tag with. The younger one said 85-140 EP and the other said 80-90 weight EP. I decided to put 80-90 in cause it just sounded right. They both said that Synthetic would not be neccessary since I only put 10,000 miles on a year. They both said every two years or close to that.

Jerry Winchester
04-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Well I use Delo 100 in mine, but I didn't think they made 400 40wt, but they do and some folks use it in 2 cycles. In my ignorance, I stuck with the Delo 100 as that is about all I can get around here.

bill&jody
04-06-2007, 11:51 AM
for what its worth, i can email the DD fuel/lube oil spec as a 2M pdf. forum limits prevent me from uploading it here :( altho it seems to allow 47M jpegs. go figure.
drop me an email if you want it.
wmm

Jim_Scoggins
06-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Just for info and not to belabor the obvious. Shell Rotella 40 wt meets the Specs per the Detroit 8V92 owner's manual. Used it in my 8V92 in my 86 Bluebird. I had also switched the tranny over to Transynd primarily because of the higher temps in that it had a transmission retarder.

Joe Cannarozzi
06-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Is there any truth to a suggestion that I have heard about the oil level in a Detriot 2-stroke?

I have read comments on other boards that suggest that if you let the level stay closer to the fill mark than the full mark it will use less of it?

I don't like the idea just because I don't like the small 7gal capacity in the first place but if the thing is gonna just push it out quicker above that point, as these comments suggest, I'm willing to entertain the notion.

Has anyone heard or experianced this?

Jim_Scoggins
06-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Joe:
I don't know if it is urban legend or not but for me it seemed best to run it about half way up the dip between add and full. Seemed to use it rather quickly when I topped it off to full--down to about half way then stay there. After a time I considered half way to be my full mark.

Kevin Erion
06-09-2007, 05:21 PM
I think that is true with all large engines, I have trucks with Cats, Cummings and the series 60 in or Prevost. I have 01, 04 and 06 engines and if you fill to the top they will just push the oil out the draft tube to the 1/2 way point and stop. I always test each engine first by keeping them full and if they end up at 1/2 then thats where I refill when I change the oil.
Kevin

Jon Wehrenberg
06-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Apart from the fill level influencing how quickly oil goes down on the dipstick, oil will tend to remain in the crankcase longer right after an oil change. As the oil ages and begins to break down the engine consumes it quicker.

I have recorded this on my plane as well as on both the 8V92 and the Series 60. The first quart (on the plane, half gallon on the bus) will be consumed in half the time the next quart is consumed.