PDA

View Full Version : Wobasto Won’t Fire

Norman Martin
01-02-2021, 12:04 PM
I have a 2000 country Coach. The Wobasto will run but won’t light. I installed a new 35 nozzle, cleaned and changed both fuel filters. The new filters filled up with fuel but doesn’t seem to be getting the message fire. I put my large aluminum relay in my friends Wobasto and it worked. Any idea what to try next? If I can’t figure it out I will try to reach Rudy in Houston Monday. I read that he is the go to guy on Wobasto problems.
thanks,
Norman Martin
2000 Country Coach
Dallas Texas

PrevostNewbie
01-02-2021, 03:19 PM
do you hear the igniter clicking?

Norman Martin
01-02-2021, 05:27 PM
No I don't. Motor comes on, can't hear igniter clicking. Then motor goes into what I think is cool down mode. Runs for a few minutes then shuts off.
Thanks for the reply,
Norman

freds
01-02-2021, 07:31 PM
Unless it's gas heater the clicking sound is the fuel pump metering quick pulses of diesel fuel into the burner chamber. With diesel heaters you have a glow plug that ignites the fuel.

Typical startup sequence is:

1. Turn on the glow plug for a while
2. Start pulsing fuel (Da clicking sound)...
3. Check if flame detector is sensing flame.
4. If not shutdown.

PS. That's how my Espar diesel boiler starts up. It recently lost prime and would not start up until I used a suction pump to get fuel to the inlet of the pump. Pump is much quieter when pumping fuel verses air.

RPSHOP
01-02-2021, 08:56 PM
Rudy Legett is the absolute best when it come to Webasto & Aqua Hot

Ck2hans
01-03-2021, 10:44 AM
Norman:

Had a problem getting my Aqua-Hot to start after servicing (air in the line). My quick and easy fix was to go fill the fuel tank. All that weight of a full tank of fuel pushed the air out rather quickly.

Chuck

Joe Camper
01-03-2021, 04:12 PM
The fuel pump does have a clicking not to be confused with a louder clicking that should be easily audible if it's trying to fire.

MJ243
01-03-2021, 11:08 PM
I had a similar problem not long ago. I bought a new fuel nozzle, no help. And I bought a new controller (aluminum relay) and that didn't help. New fuel filters, nothing. Turns out I had a bad bearing on the electric motor so the motor would spin and it sounded like it wanted to light but just would not spin fast enough to start. At least now I have some spare parts for next time...
Mark

freds
01-04-2021, 12:21 AM
I recently had a malfunction and luckily I figured out that it was a loss of prime.

Anyway I take the bus to Costco (first full refill since I got it) and added 164.5 gallons of diesel (thinking I do not have the 130 gallon tank) for a hit of $437.40… Feels like filling the airplane up at a fuel stop again….

PO from a few generations back started installing a new dash and fuel gauge wasn't near empty (adding to the list of things that need attention).

Norman Martin
01-04-2021, 11:05 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. I watched a video on you tube with some great information. I'll start the process all over again. I will post what the problem was.
Again, thanks for the replies.
Norman Martin
2000 Country Coach
Dallas Texas

Norman Martin
01-08-2021, 06:49 PM
There is a reset switch on the wobasto housing where the wire connector is on my 2000 CC. I will take a picture and see if I can post it.
Norman Martin
2000 Country Coach
Dallas Texas

shahzadlateef
01-12-2021, 10:08 PM
As you can see, there could be a number of things causing the symptoms. I will throw in my similar issue and resolution.

My Webasto failed to ignite during cold Christmas Eve night in Sedona (Okay, only 30 degrees). I tapped on the relay (Mine has Hella 960 388-54 relay), and tapped lighted on Webasto housing. It worked fine from there onwards for the next 5 nights. Drove the bus back to Las Vegas, and tried it again the other night. It failed to ignite. The blower comes on, runs for a couple of minutes, still get cold air coming from the Webasto exhaust, and it shuts down. Tapped on the relay and Webasto casing - no luck this time.

Figured $10 is an easy test, so bought a new relay. Installed it, and it fired perfectly. Since mine worked with tapping on the relay, it was a semi-intelligent guess.

All the best.

Shahzad
2003 Marathon H3-45 Dual Slide

Joe Camper
01-13-2021, 07:33 AM
You got two different things going on there the relay is bad but that's not what's stopping it from firing when the blower is going.

Norman Martin
03-24-2021, 06:32 PM
Found a reset button by the wire connection block where the Wobasto wires connect to the coach wires. May need to remove the plastic cover to fond it. Sorry for the delay, I thought I posted this.

Norman Martin
2000 Country Coach