PDA

View Full Version : US 50

Joe Camper
12-20-2020, 05:22 PM
When on Interstate 80 heading east from Reno or on 70 heading west at Grand Junction Colorado has anybody come across between those points on US 50 instead of using Interstate 80 my GPS tells me it's only about an hour's difference ( longer) in time and it's quite a few miles. It is lesser miles at a much slower estimated average. I'm going to take it regardless but I was curious if anybody's ever been through there.

it looks like it might be a fun Road. From The western Utah boarder going east there is 100 miles of no town no crossroad.

Actually looks like 50 pairs up with 70 but half way through Utah. So US 50 east from Reno through Nevada and Utah who's done that anybody?

My baby is out there just sitting and I can hear her calling she wants to go.

BGLogistics
12-20-2020, 09:09 PM
Joe prob 15 yrs ago I flew to Sacramento and drove a 79 Bronco from Chico back to OK I had bought off ebay. Without looking at an atlas I took HWY 50 at least into CO if I remember correctly. Was in a McDonalds morning of return trip, talking to an older couple about entire adventure. When I told them I was going 50 they said "You're going the Lonely (ist) Road?? Seems like I went thru Gunnison, and do remember Monarch Pass - it was icy.

Bought that truck for about $1600. Just sold it this summer to a classic dealer in CO for $11K. It's now on Hemmings for $22,900. It was a solid rust-free truck but needed interior work and paint to be a showpiece. Those things have certainly gone up in value.

Joe Camper
12-21-2020, 07:50 AM

Billy looks like the term was more than just an opinion. Its listed on the map.

The routes that run north and south that run with the range along the rivers instead of going east to west that's the ticket! bet 305 there along the river is an amazing drive. 305 south from Battle Mountain between 80 and 50, 90 miles, no crossroad or town!!! What a wonderful way to social distance, through the windshields of these rigs!!

Get them out of the garage and go make some smoke.

G
The map legend identifies unpaved roads as grey dotted lines. Look at the 70 miles or so of unpaved road down towards Dixie valley out of battle mountain down the Stillwater range. Bet u that would be an adventure.

Robert Britton
12-21-2020, 11:42 AM
Joe, I've used Highway 50 heading east out of Carson City into Utah in a coach a couple of times. Last time I ran that route was about 5 years ago, nice drive and uneventful. I plan on heading out that way again next year when we go Moab...good times!

Loc
12-21-2020, 04:30 PM
In July of 1986, LIFE Magazine described Nevada’s Highway 50 as the “Loneliest Road in America.” The article said there were no attractions or points of interest along the original stretch of road and warned drivers not risk traveling the route unless they had “survival skills.” I have always wanted to drive it, but haven't had the chance. Some Day.

Becki&John
01-13-2021, 10:54 PM
Hey Joe,

Becki and I did the section between Salina and Reno bout 8 years ago in a 43' Monaco Executive no problem.

We love back roads when we have time, been on a lot of them as we are very adventurous! US 2 from Idaho east was a ride.

Now towing a F350 with a little camper on it for doing adventures where the coach can't go.

Let us know how it goes!

John and Becki
Stuart, FL

Joe Camper
01-14-2021, 07:15 AM
Hey you guys sounds like that was a good trip. After a little more research in a few conversations with people that led to the topic of altitude sickness I'm having second thoughts about where and how long I'm going to stay I don't know how I'm going to react to a campground at 10000 feet and I don't think I'm going to reserve one for more than one night in advance until I see how my reaction is a lot of people said it wasn't something I wanted to do. It was suggested that once you get north of 9,000 feet it becomes an issue I don't know I've never done it. All campgrounds around Eli are 8 to 12,000 feet

Fratto
01-14-2021, 09:16 AM
There does seem to be something magic about 10,000 feet. People that are susceptible to altitude issues have trouble that high. However, I have a lot of friends that do pretty well if they spend a couple of days at 5,000 to 8,000 feet on the way up. So if you go, just spend a couple of nights lower on the way up and you might be fine.

Also just watch your exertion level for the first day or two when you hit 10,000 and chances are you will be just fine.

For me, things are just amazing up that high and higher and I love being up there.

Unless you have underlying health issues, I say go for it!

MJ243
01-14-2021, 12:02 PM
Hello Joe,
I lived and worked in Nevada for 15 years and drove all those roads many, many times. Hwy 50 is definitely the better choice if you want to see Nevada. Interstate 80 is better if you just want to set the cruise and let it go. If you are interested I can put together a more detailed route or you are welcome to call me too.
Regards,
Mark
775-842-0811

MJ243
01-14-2021, 01:10 PM
http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17268&stc=1

Joe Camper
01-14-2021, 07:30 PM
Very cool thank you. I'm a flatlander and panoramic views are what I'm looking for. On the map they tell you the height of the Peaks but I think a lot of these campgrounds are down in The Valleys between the ranges in more manageable elevations. I'm going to take you up on that offer call you one day I'll be leaving California headed back east sometime in May I think approximately.

PrevostNewbie
01-16-2021, 09:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i1_3IFjFuk

Joe Camper
05-05-2021, 10:33 PM
Just set the brakes in Carson City Nevada. Started this afternoon southwest of Sacramento. Picked up U.S. 50 East off north I-5, south of Sacramento. This is not an interstate. It is a mountian pass. Takes u around Lake Tahoe. Go to about 7000 ft before u start down about 7 or 8 miles west of Carson City. Last 8 miles into Carson City 6 % grade. Went down In 7th direct and 7th overdrive while shuttling back and forth from high and low with the jake, bout 45mph, 1700 rpm or so. Never touched the brakes entire way down. Im tempted to turn around and double back just to do that again. For me going up is like work going down is like fun. Its an adrenalin rush. My calves vibrate for a couple hrs after parked like ive just gotton off roller skates after drives like that.

On the way up only had to stop once to close the fridge door. This is when a wife comes in handy but no thanks ill stop and close it.

Im going to continue east tomorrow first light. Plan on using US50 all the way to Pueblo Colorado other side of the continental divide.

Trucks runnin like a swiss watch. Life is good. Think ill break out a can of vienna sausages!!!

I wouldnt hesitate to do it with a bus and a toad much of it is 45 mph posted much 35 too with passing zones all along the way. U can very easily head north out of Carson City up to I-80 East if u had enough or contonue on east on 50. It took about 4 hr to make the trip from Sacramento to Carson City. Only good piece of road i found in Califrnia too, very nice road.

It does take a very special partner to be able to enjoy a ride like that from the passanger seat as much as a driver does, if u get my drift, so be conch.

Overall the gps had only an hrs difference in total time for a 1200 mile trip. Rt 50 one hr longer than using I-80 and less miles why the heck not.

Lot a nuthin for 700 miles goin east from Carson City and ill be puttin an eyeball on it tomorrow.

BGLogistics
05-06-2021, 09:57 AM
When I did that exact route years ago driving home my newly purchased ebay item, I was on 50 from Sacramento to Lamar, CO. Then 287 south.

Joe Camper
05-06-2021, 03:36 PM
Got started about first light stopped and sat down for breakfast, never took it over 70, its lunch and im sitting in Ely thats on the eastern boarder with Utah. Never even felt anything close to a bump. Thats 320 Miles right there. Great road. Onereally good windy mountian pass but real wide and they have it posted 25 mph for about 4 miles really safe at that speed and real thrilling too.

Never lost cell coverage or gps or internet with Verizon the whole way. I think utah its not like that.

If u think u got a reliable piece your sitting on this is a great way.

Senery is fantastic but beware if u do something dumb or stupid out here u will regreat it. Nothing out here but panoramic views i mean nothin.

Joe Camper
05-06-2021, 11:08 PM

Dusk Green River Utah. 650 miles East of Carson City. All US50 id definatly go that way again. Stopped 4 times for prob 2 hr combined. Never broke 70 mph. All 2 lane. Daylight only. No traffic no construction no bullshit.

Scrubbing off the bugs with an adult beverage now. Out on the road life is good.

norm45
05-07-2021, 10:09 AM
i knew you would like that ride have fun and thanks

Joe Camper
05-07-2021, 09:59 PM
Thank u Norm now go make some smoke. I landed in Pueblo Co. bout the same time tisafternoon as I left yer place day before yesterday.

1200 miles over the Rockies on a 2 lane in 2 day. Just a guy and his truck. Cant do that on just any 2 lane. Or with just any motorhome.

About half way cross Utah US50 runs into I-70 and for the entire eastern half of Utah the speed limit is 80. Unfortunatly there are repetitive closely spaced dips the entire way. Bad ones. The hammer lane is better for a long way but it has its doozys too got to keep your eyes peeled. Or I was 65 mph and any more they were too uncomfortable to live with. And i used the hammer lane constant only moving over as cars came up from behind.

That last piece of 50 in Colorado all the way across to Pueblo was a spectacular drive. Road smoothed out. Scenery was everywhere couldnt take it all in. Its not for the faint of heart and it will wear u out gettin across. Dont pass up an opportunity to use it. This is one of those drives u will not forget.

Fratto
05-08-2021, 02:12 PM
Awesome! I love the picture of that old snow plow.

Dockholiday
05-09-2021, 09:20 PM
Agree - that is a really cool pic.

Joe Camper
01-09-2022, 07:38 AM
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park

I often find my nose in a map in my spare time.

Well I ran across this canyon campground and I drove right by it last spring. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Look at the last 60 or 70 miles up that pass after u leave US 50 way down in the bottom right corner. I'm going back sometime this summer. Take a week start in pueblo. Do 3 2 night stays. The first days ride to this canyon campgrounds would also include the asphalt that they paved monarch pass with, it's just a bit over an hour west of Pueblo as u head over the divide going west That would be one amazing single day trip successfully accomplished.

There is 1000 reviews for the park and it's 5 star. I bet it's amazing. If I bring a bike it will have an electric front hub for sure and I'll be doing more photography than hiking. The last leg of road in looks wicked good. Imagine First 100 miles out of pueblo over Monarch pass your companion begins to catch thier breath on the dicent then bam second half day 1 up this canyon pass. Just the thought of that excites me.

Day 1 approximately a 250 mile trip if starting in pueblo. Prob stay 2 nights. Then get to drive it out starting leg 2! Ahhhhhh.

Leg 2 south 200 miles or so to another currently undiscovered gem setting up for leg 3 a ride back east over the divide again on some other 2 lane pass I haven't been down yet to stop another couple nights and then point er back towards the barn.