PDA

View Full Version : New member. No coach yet but ready to buy.

Irish 68
04-02-2007, 01:07 PM
I have a lot of questions on Prevos. First, if money isn't an object which are the best models for the last 2-3 years. What options are best and which are to be avoided if any? What would be a high estimate for average annual expenses if I used the coach several months out of the year? Is there an experienced owner out there who is willing to chat on the phone to answer some lengthy questions? I'm trying to get as much research done in a little time before I make a purchase. Any and all information would be much appreciated.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-02-2007, 03:27 PM
I 68,

There may be as many opinions about your questions as there are POG members. Welcome to the asylum and let us see if we can spend your money.

I do 100% of my own work and I almost never have a repair. I always have some maintenance event coming due, and I may go overboard, but I would rather do preventative maintenance rather than a repair. My costs over 17 years of ownership have varied, but I think it is safe to say over a broad period of time your out of pocket for fuel and maintenance supplies, including tires, batteries, all fluids, filters, etc you will spend $1.25 a mile.

Remember, my costs do not involve a penny of anyone else's labor. Remember also that the cost to operate a Prevost conversion is chump change compared to depreciation and lost earnings (or interest) on the invested capital.

Rather than ask what options should be added or avoided, you should ask how will you use the coach and what do you need to make your coach as comfortable and enjoyable.

If you have spent a few evenings looking at every coach for sale on the internet today a few things will become apparent just from that search. The first is that the prices vary from well over $1,000,000 to $100,000. Is the $1,000,000 coach $900,000 better than the $100,000 coach? No. But it is new, it comes with a warranty, and although you will spend time at the converter and Camp Prevost attending to the little glitches that show up the problems have no financial impact on you. With the low priced coach you may be on your own should repairs be required.

Once you decide what you want such as slides, a private bath, a table and chairs (or a dinette), an XL or an H3, a Series 60 or an 8V92, then you have narrowed your focus and you can really begin to ask questions and get specific opinions. Where you live and where you will travel is another consideration because if you live in San Diego and never stray more than a few hundred miles from there, it might not be wise to select a coach converted by an east coast company for example. On the other hand, if you stray far and wide and you are running to a schedule you may want a coach that has no computers but has simple devices such as relays and switches and circuit breakers that you can trouble shoot and repair yourself.

Share more information with us about your wants, needs, likes and dislikes and the quality of the information will be very good and to the point. This group represents a tremendous amount of knowledge, and because we may run into you at rallies in the future we may not lie to you. Or maybe we will.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
04-02-2007, 05:03 PM
I have a lot of questions on Prevos. First, if money isn't an object which are the best models for the last 2-3 years.

Are you interested in adopting a nice, fun loving guy, his wife, and our small dog? If so, I will send resume. Will drive your new 2008 Liberty XLII or other brand for nothing and meet you anywhere you want me to meet you. :D

But you have to hurry, and decide which bus you want, the POG III rally is coming up the end of this month. You got to make it to this rally, with or without a bus. In fact, I would strongly suggest, you come without, and learn lots about the bus' first and then go and have lots of fun.;)

Gary S

Jerry Winchester
04-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Crap the the coach wannbe guys are going to out number the coach owners before too long.

I-68, I'll bet that if money is no object, you can own a really nice coach in short order, so welcome to the POG and don't be a tire kicker; go out and buy that coach. Quick.

We will add you to the OVER / UNDER pool on who buys the next coach.

JDUB

Toy Box
04-02-2007, 10:40 PM
By any chance, are you a "Domer" . Maybe just a football fan from South Bend? Call anytime. We can help. And no, I don't sell any coaches, I've just had a few over the years. Jump in and see if you can have as much fun as any of us do.!

Just Plain Jeff
04-05-2007, 05:29 PM
So you've got this rally going where some guys don't have a camper and other guys have 2.

What's up with that.....?

http://www.marietta.edu/~cub/images/events/dealornodeal.bmp

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-06-2007, 10:45 AM
So you've got this rally going where some guys don't have a camper and other guys have 2.

What's up with that.....?

http://www.marietta.edu/~cub/images/events/dealornodeal.bmp

It's just the story of life. There are the haves and the have-nots.:rolleyes: :eek:

garyde
04-07-2007, 07:10 PM
There are a half dozen converters out there, mabe a few more. Marathon,Liberty, Featherlite, Millenium, Parliment,Country Coach,American Carriage and so on. If you are anxious to buy, stick with one of the top 4 or five and narrow it buy your personal tastes. Make sure to consider which company will be there when you need them. Gary

MangoMike
04-08-2007, 10:07 AM
It's just the story of life. There are the haves and the have-nots.:rolleyes: :eek:

Unfortunately this HAVE, HAVE-NOTs any CASH ;).

Owning 2 busses is not necessarily a good thing, unless your BOB-00.

Mango

Just Plain Jeff
04-08-2007, 06:15 PM
This picture, albeit a small one, has been secreted out of the Mango Church of Love/Warehouse area.

There must be something more to the story....http://www.metrokc.gov/kcdot/news/myr/photos/3Lb.JPG

MangoMike
04-08-2007, 09:21 PM
JPJ,

You have way too much Google time on your hands.

Who's monitoring the spy satellites? ;)

mm

ken&ellen
04-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Mike, I know it is for sale, but ( Senior Moment ) I can not recall where it is. A friend asked me about Prevost and I was trying to steer toward our fine organization.....of course he is tighter than bark to a tree, but I will do my best. Ken

MangoMike
04-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Ken,

I appreciate the referral. The Mothership is being proudly displayed in Florida at Ken Robertson's dealership.

http://www.kenrobertsonrv.com/inventory.html

Mike

Ray Davis
04-10-2007, 02:16 PM
I was looking back at the original poster of this thread. I hope we didn't scare him off? He joined and posted on April 2nd, but hasn't been back to the forum since April 5th!

Darl-Wilson
04-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Welcome Irish! I'm also a fairly new member and just bought my Prevost late last year. My suggestion is to come to Kerrville for POG III. I am going to meet some of these great people (and the not so great) to listen and find out what is going on in their world of RVing. I have not even bought a TOAD because I want to get some ideas before I spend the money. I searched for a long time before I bought my coach spending lots of time talking to the ill-informed. I wish I had joined this group before I began my search. Take advantage and come to Kerrville!

Good Luck, Darl

Ray Davis
04-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Darl,

I'm afraid that somehow we may have scared Irish68 off. According to his public profile page, he joined April 2. Posted the start of this thread on April 2, and has last visited the forum on April 5th.

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Once a salesman finds out: money is no object, he won't let you up for air until he has a contract! I think Irish is on a buying binge having the time of his life.:p

Darl-Wilson
04-14-2007, 05:37 PM
I think you're right Ray! On another subject, I think I saw a post where you have a caravan coming from CA to Kerrville. Could you refresh me on where you plan to stay enroute? We are coming from Reno, NV to Indio and leaving there early on the 21st for Kerrville. Seems like we will be far behind your group. Have a nice trip. (Maybe Irish will show up. Sure!)

garyde
04-15-2007, 06:47 PM
THE GROUP IS GOING TO MEET UP AT Beaudry RV in Tucson Thursday night, the 19th. I am planning on getting down to the Indio area thursday morning and attempt to meet up with 'The California Posse' . Gary

Ray Davis
04-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Hey Darl,

As Gary mentions, we're meeting at Beaudry on Thus 4/19.
Sunny Acres - Las Cruces NM - Friday 4/20
Fort Stockton KOA (TX) - Saturday 4/21
Kerrville TX - Sunday 4/22

Gary, if you're at Indio by Thursday morning, you're gonna beat us to Beaudry. Current plan has us stopping for fuel at the Flying J just over the AZ border in Ehrenberg. We should tentatively be there just before noon. Maybe we can hookup there?

garyde
04-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Yes, if not sooner. I will call you Thursday morning Ray. Gary

Ray Davis
04-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Great! I just sent out email with cell #'s for the CA caravan. Is Lise Ann and Conner making this trip as well this year?

Ray Davis
05-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Don't know why you didn't see it as a new post until yesterday. It was posted on 4/15 as indicated. I don't know for sure how the new vBulletin software handles threads, but in our version at work, we keep track of every time a thread is read, and can indicate when a post is newer, even months later.

Pehaps it was always there, just hidden?

Bottom line, not sure, but I did post it a month ago!

PrevostGator
01-16-2010, 09:05 AM
We have been driving motorhomes for seven years and just bought our first bus. A couple of things we found that we did not like about many products out there was roof air conditioning. My wife did not like the noise and it seemed it was hard to maintain a constant temperature. So, I would only buy a coach that has Bus Air, which is used when you are driving, and Cruise Air which is used when you are parked. Feel free to call. Gerry 727-639-4490

Jon Wehrenberg
01-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Gerry,

Did someone put you up to that post??????

The non-Liberty owners around here go a little crazy when us guys start bragging about our over the road air and how quiet the Cruise Airs are.

Don't worry if some of the folks on here start taking shots at you. I got your back.

As the King of Bling about the optional OTR fans he passes around.

Alek&Lucia
01-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Jon,

Please remember that Royale's and Vantare's H3 also have OTR's.
Are we also a target ?

Alek

phorner
01-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Gerry,

Did someone put you up to that post??????

The non-Liberty owners around here go a little crazy when us guys start bragging about our over the road air and how quiet the Cruise Airs are.

Don't worry if some of the folks on here start taking shots at you. I got your back.

As the King of Bling about the optional OTR fans he passes around.

But ya gotta admit, Jon, the King's optional OTR fans are quiet... :D

Jon Wehrenberg
01-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Alec, Perhaps you haven't noticed that it is only the H3s that have OTR, and not all of them are so equipped.

Except for Liberty OTR coaches are not common.

Alek&Lucia
01-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Jon,

That is what I said in my previous post : only H3's Royale's have OTR.
All of them where equipped with OTR from Prevost that way.
I have to admit, that after having 2 Prevost with out OTR,
if we have a choice we will always prefer a coach with OTR,

Alek

Jon Wehrenberg
01-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Alek,

Welcome to my world. Do you need a fan?

GDeen
01-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Alec, Perhaps you haven't noticed that it is only the H3s that have OTR, and not all of them are so equipped.

Except for Liberty OTR coaches are not common.

OTR is common in my Marathon XLV............

truk4u
01-17-2010, 07:23 AM
Don't need no stinking OTR, but my Liberty has a Bra!:p

Will Garner
01-17-2010, 12:06 PM
So, now that someone revived this post from 2007, does anyone know what became of Irish 68? Did he buy a coach at whatever cost? Just who is/was I 68? Did he/she ever make their name known to the other POG members? Or, did he just fade away into the sunset? Maybe this is a thread we should revive every year or three!

Inquiring minds want to know.

Alek&Lucia
01-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Alek,

Welcome to my world. Do you need a fan?

Jon,

Wow, OTR and A-1 Fan.
I think this will be to much comfort for us, and government can tax that :D

Alek

Jon Wehrenberg
01-17-2010, 03:03 PM
We aren't supposed to talk politics Alek, but I think you nailed that one.