PDA

View Full Version : New to POG Looking for block heater plug on Detroit 60 Series

Norman Martin
12-01-2020, 08:31 AM
Can someone tell me where the engine block heater plug is on my 2000 CC Detroit 60 series?
I have been around for a while but this is my first post. Haven't learned how to put a picture of my coach yet.
Thanks,
Norman Martin
Garland Texas

BGLogistics
12-01-2020, 10:10 AM
Mine was zip-tied to a wiring harness above engine bay doors. Close to 120v outlet in engine compartment.

Dthomas9572
12-01-2020, 12:32 PM
Hey All,

I have a block heater on my breaker panel, which I do not use. Am I correct that my Aquahot keeps the engine warm? Or should I also use the block heater?

Thanks
David Thomas
1998 Featherlight XL

Texas 40
12-01-2020, 04:02 PM
Mine is exactly where Billy's is located.

BGLogistics
12-01-2020, 07:05 PM
David 2 different ways to accomplish same thing. Detroit block heater is electric and from what I've read on here takes 4-5 hours to warm coolant up much. If AquaHot is similar to Webasto then the diesel fired coolant heater takes about 45 min, again based on what I've read here.

Norman Martin
12-01-2020, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the response. I will look a little harder.
Norman

Dthomas9572
12-02-2020, 09:07 AM
Hey Billy,

Yes Aquahot has a Webasto as the heater...In the winter I leave the Aquahot to heat the coach and bays on all the time..Can anyone confirm that I don't need to leave block heater on?

Thanks
David Thomas
1998 Featherlight XL

BGLogistics
12-02-2020, 09:23 AM
David unless you are planning to start it in cold weather no need to have it on - proper antifreeze/coolant mix takes care of that.

I don't know how your AquaHot is plumbed. On mine (Webasto) I have a button on dash labeled "block heat" that when activated fires Webasto and circulates coolant thru engine. This has NOTHING to do with electric "block heat" 110v plug in engine bay.

What I don't know / never investigated is if running Webasto for interior heat exchangers (or hot water) also heats engine block or not (without using dash switch). My assumption is yes - although probably slower as I'm guessing using "block heat' on dash doesn't open valves to entire coach. Just a guess.

Dthomas9572
12-02-2020, 12:18 PM
Hey Billy,

I keep my Aquahot on all winter as I want to stabilize the temperature in the coach. I do keep it at about 50 degrees and then turn the toe kickers on as well. I set them at about 60 degrees. My thoughts are to utilize the toe kickers as first defense and if I was to lose power then the aquahot would be a back up. This way I save on fuel for the Aquahot.

I would love to hear from others in the group if the Aquahot keeps my engine warm set on 50 degrees.

Thanks

Joe Camper
12-02-2020, 07:12 PM
Sure it does. I think Vantare has a button marked engine loop or block heat or 12v block. 2 buttons 1 says 12v heat it's the other button.

With the aquahot it is thermostaticly controlled. The one that's powered by ac power and it has a breaker that one has no thermostat. I have much experiance with this type. In trucks. These r designed to be able to be left on overnight or days or weeks even. They work very good and do it with lots of juice consumed. About like running a electric water heater element and it never kicks out. U can also use both togather. From stone cold the aquahot should begin to cycle in less than an hr . The other one takes longer about 3 or 4 hr.

Gil_J
12-02-2020, 07:39 PM
There may be a switch at the driver's position, I can't remember. The plug is likely upper right side of the engine bay just inside the rear doors.

Joe Camper
12-02-2020, 09:43 PM
Dave I just noticed your 50°comment. What r u referring to the thermostat in the cabin? In the plumbing bay?? Pleae explain that is confusing to me.

U have 4 separate pumps and loops on the aqua hot. 2 r cabin. 1 is water heater/plumbing bay. Those 3 loops cycle according to their corresponding thermostats. The 4th pump is the engine loop and has no thermostat just an on off switch. If u turn that pump on it cycles constant and eventually the engine coolant will get to the same temp as the aquaphot boiler and that stays between about 160• and 180° regardless of where u set the thermostats in the cabin, if it's working correctly. Does that help?

Norman Martin
12-05-2020, 06:56 PM
There is a block heater switch above the derive, I just wanted to hook it up to a timer on cold days. Thanks for all of the input.
Norman

Joe Camper
12-06-2020, 06:16 AM
The timer would be only to save electricity te element does not require it at all. Plug the timer into the outlet in the engine bay.

dale farley
12-06-2020, 09:53 AM
These links should help in posting pictures: How to Add a/an Avatar, Profile or Signature. http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?6851-How-to-Add-or-Update-Your-Avatar-Profile-or-Signature
How to add a Picture to your Post: http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?6820-Picture-Post-Tutorial