PDA

View Full Version : XL Front Window Shades

Jerry Winchester
03-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Our coach has mini blinds covering the front windshield that were installed by the converter. We would rather have a more updated blind system that can just be pulled down that was solid.

Most of the new coaches have this system, so my question is, are these Prevost shades / blinds or are they sourced from another place?

I spoke to IBP today and they don't handle them and suggested an outfit in Calgary called New-View Blinds. They don't answer their phone, so that looks like a dead end.

Any thoughts?

JDUB

dalej
03-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Jerry, post every detail. We are wanting to add new shades also, non electic, just the manual type. We would like the smaller ones too for the driver and door windows.

Loc
03-29-2007, 06:43 PM
We have a piece of fabric that has to be snapped into place every night (huge pain). I would also like to find an easier solution. I have tried to find information on the interior electric shades that Carefree of Colorado makes, but havent been able to find anyone that can provide any good insight. I am also concerned about being able to cover the whole windshield. I would be interested in finding a good (reasonable cost) solution.

I have done some research on the electric shades. According to the folks I have talked to, the electric shades are powered by a set of sun visor motors from Prevost with a fabric shade attached instead of the black somewhat opaque sun material. If I remember correctly (which doesnt happen often), the pair of motors runs around $1,000. Carefree makes electric shades that will drop 40+ inches that can be used as a sun visor and a privacy shade. Unfortunately, the only model that I have been able to find for sale has the motor at one end making it difficult to get complete coverage of each side of the windshield given the available space that I have in my coach. At the time these shades were priced around $175 each. I found a set on their website that did not have the large motor on the end, but could not find anyone that sells them. I haven't checked their website lately, but they may have a solution. I will try to look over the next couple of days and report back.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-29-2007, 06:48 PM
I hope nobody from the PP is reading this.

JDUB, Lowes, Home Depot, Penney's and other stores all sell the blinds that have no strings. They are available with an opaque backing or you can get them with two sections, with the first being a sun screen and the second a privacy type. They are custom made, the color of your choice, and are relatively cheap.

The only thing you may wish to do is to add a valance if your coach does not already have one. This is not as expensive as going to a converter to get it done, but it will work perfectly. We are contemplating replacing our side window blinds with some when we get around to redoing the interior.

Ray Davis
03-29-2007, 07:05 PM
My bus had some dark plastic piece, on a swivel arm instead of the standard pull down blinds. I checked just recently with Prevost about stock bus blinds for the front windows. $800.

I'm looking for a better solution too!

Jerry Winchester
03-29-2007, 07:37 PM
For the sake of clarification, we too have the giant nogahide looking deal that snaps into place over the front and on the driver and passenger side windows. We have day/night shades over the other windows, but these need to be privacy quality without the dual system or mini blinds.

I saw a set of Prevost blinds (looks like you install small rods on the sides and the shade just lowers from the top) for sale on eBay, but they got snapped up before I could look them over.

So between the mini blinds, the snap in blinds and the snap-to-the-front of the coach sun screens, I have more options than MangoMike has coaches. Oh and Bus Bob too...:o

Jon Wehrenberg
03-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Another option, but nowhere near as nice and easy as shades is the sliding window drape that was done in the mid 80s. It was effective and the drape would make a neat bundle if it was pleated, but I never want one again.

shookie
03-29-2007, 09:00 PM
we have a 2000 liberty...shades are black and electric....had to replace the entrance door shade....do business regularily with a tarp company...matched up product perfectly....same grade....same reinforced vinyl....simply took off mechanism....had shade duplicated, along with sewn seam...and replaced...great product...non transparent / non translucent....highly recommended.....thanks, shookie...and very inexpensive

BrianE
03-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Sorry Jerry. If I'd known you were interested I would have saved them before going on E-Bay. We sold them because they took two hands to operate and consequently didn't work well as sun-shades. As privacy shades the gap at the edges was too wide for my lady friend, Liberty's standard curtain arrangement works much better. We ended up with Rosen Sunshades, they are very adjustable, we've always liked them in the airplane and they are working well in the bus. Peter might like to jump in the thread as he recently installed electric shades and I think he likes them. Good luck.

Petervs
03-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Hello Poggers. The front window shade issue is really in two parts. There is the privacy, nightime problem, and there is the while you are driving sunvisor issue.

I will do a couple of posts to keep the pictures reasonable.

For privacy, my Marathon came equipped with a nifty system of horizontal pull pleated shades for the front windshield and the drivers and passenger windows. The windshield ones retract into a center mounted holder. The side window retract into cavities created in the window moldings.

I thought it was one of the slick Marathon solutions to this problem. It has worked extremely well for us. It would be hard to retrofit the side window shades, but the fronts would be easy if you bought the part from Marathon. I do not know if they still sell them, but it is a part they made or had made specifically for them.

Pictures show it better than words.

Petervs
03-30-2007, 12:11 PM
For the sunvisor part of the problem, my Marathon had the Prevost original pull down type.

I did not like them because it took two hands to retract them, and you could not reach the one in on the passenger side. And because they were mouted squarely in front of the windshields, there was a small gap near the center of the windshield where the sun would sometimes hit me right in the eye.

I took them off, and have them in a box ready to ship to someone who makes me an offer I can not refuse. Includes both front shades and the drivers shade with hardware. All you need are a few screws.

I have no computer till Sunday night but you can email me at pvans@pacifier.com or give me a call at 360-901-7611.

Petervs
03-30-2007, 12:23 PM
To solve the sunvisor problem I bought some electrically operated shades from Carefree of Colorado. They have a website and dealers all over the country, including some who will sell by internet. I found one of those in Colorado who sold me the hardware.

They only make straight ones in specific lengths, and the windshield is curved,so you have to do some designing to get it how you want. Mine are 40 inches long and mounted so as to eliminate any gap from the drivers point of view.

The electric shade come with a switch you can run wires all over to operate it that way, or for an extra $50 you can buy a wireless kit. All you do is supply power to the shade and their wireless box ( easily available in my overhead area) and install the remote on the dash with some double stick tape. Now I can operate both sides while driving!

I also installed one on the drivers side, but it is a manual one, they do not make the electric ones short enough for this space. I think the mesh portion is a pain, and plan to cut that off very soon. it is a useless thing they say they are trying to cover their liability in case the shade blocks the side view mirror or something, but now you have to pull it way down to get to the solid part to block the sun and you have all that excess shade in the way.

I am 100% satisfied with the new system. Cost about $500 altogether I think.

dale farley
03-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Peter,

I have the same system you had before you added the electric shades. I have a string broken in one of my horizontal blinds, and I talked to Marathon a few days ago about a replacement. They didn't say for sure that they don't have any replacement parts, but instead they told me that if I send mine to them, they have a technician that will make any necessary repairs and return them in a few weeks. I plan to wait until after I get back from POG III. I agree with you that the horizontonal blinds do an excellent job of providing privacy.

Ray Davis
03-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Peter, I went to the Carefree of Colorado website, but only saw awnings. Nothing about shades at all. Was I in the wrong place? I went to their RV site, which was: http://www.rvawningsonline.com/

Thanks,

Alan__
03-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Ray -

go to parts/accessories

Jerry Winchester
03-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Peter,

Very nice post and very complete. Rae was looking in the catalog at those Carefree shades and since ours would fit in a recessed area, you won't even be able to see the shades when retracted. I think that will be our plan.

Thanks again to all who opined.

Ray Davis
03-30-2007, 06:41 PM
Ray -

go to parts/accessories

Got it, thanks ...

So, does this front shade attach at the sides via a rail or similar mechanism to allow you to use these as a sunshade/visor while driving? I've got curtains for when parked, but I need something better when driving. I know the originals had rails down the side that the shades ran in/on.

dale farley
03-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Peter, Your pictures show white on the outside of your windows. Is that one of these snap on covers that fits over your windows? If so, where did you get it? Thanks. Dale

Petervs
04-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Peter,

I have the same system you had before you added the electric shades. I have a string broken in one of my horizontal blinds, and I talked to Marathon a few days ago about a replacement. They didn't say for sure that they don't have any replacement parts, but instead they told me that if I send mine to them, they have a technician that will make any necessary repairs and return them in a few weeks. I plan to wait until after I get back from POG III. I agree with you that the horizontonal blinds do an excellent job of providing privacy.

I too had a broken string ( fish line, really) and Marathon just gave me a new string in the roll up holder. There was nothing on it to indicate where it came from or who made it, but I installed it myself and since then mine have worked great.
I think you need to operate them with a little care as they are a little fragile, the string thing I mean.

Petervs
04-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Peter, Your pictures show white on the outside of your windows. Is that one of these snap on covers that fits over your windows? If so, where did you get it? Thanks. Dale

Well, not exactly a snap on cover. It is a picture of what you see whan the bus is parked in my hangar and the windshield is nearly against the back wall!

Troy Stone
04-03-2007, 02:35 PM
On my 94 Marathon I have the pleated shade set up. Not only has the strings broke but the retractable mechanism broke also. Marathon told me to send them back also to "see what they could do". I would rather buy new ones but have had no success with who produces them.

This is as close as I could find!! http://www.dashguard.com/ ("http://www.dashguard.com/")

Hope the link works.

My last call to Marathon I was told the bus is so old they may not have parts any more. I refuse to call them again...this month!

I was happy with the way they work and want them back.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Troy,

I think if you remove a set from the coach and head down to a Lowes or Home Depot they can fix you up with a new set.

I intend to eventually replace our living room pleated shades and I am going to one of the above places or even JC Penney because all will make custom sizes. We have some JC Penney shades in our bath and they are the type that doesn't have a cord, but are counterbalanced. They were very inexpensive as I recall.

I am sticking with our electric shades in the front however because when the sun is rising or going down I can move any shade up or down with a switch to block the glare. I can't give up that feature. It makes life real easy when I am the only one up front.