PDA

View Full Version : FMCA Perry low attendance

ken&ellen
03-29-2007, 07:34 AM
I spoke to a friend of mine who decided to travel to the FMCA rally at Perry, Ga. The official attendance was 3800 coaches which is down considerably from the 6600 that made it to the 2005 rally. FMCA was blaming fuel prices and I am sure that contributed, but as many have stated maybe FMCA has lost sight of what is important to the membership. Originally this group was all about folks who gathered in their converted buses to enjoy the fellowship of the road and of course camping. Today it is about the manufacturers of big NEW shiny motor coaches with little or no concern for the bus conversion crowd. When campgrounds started eliminating coaches that were 10 years or older...Good Sam's went to bat for the camping community....FMCA shrugged it shoulders and stated there wasn't much they could do? When the issue of annual personal property taxes on motor coaches came up......FMCA stated that it is up to members in the individual states go it alone? I guess I am not sure why I belong to this, FMCA, because other than a magazine....there is no benefit. Ken & Ellen

truk4u
03-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Good post K & E, I'm like you, not sure I'll renew for the magazine which seems to be about 90% advertising anyways.:(

Petervs
03-29-2007, 11:48 AM
I came to the same conclusion after my first free yeat of membership expired. Marathon gave us a complimentary membership when we bought our coach. Now that was one benefit I had forgotten about.

Ray Davis
03-29-2007, 06:57 PM
I stayed recently at the ORA in Las Vegas. It was one place that only gave a discount to FMCA members. If I remember it was 10%, or about $6. I think FMCA membership is $25, so you'd have to get at least 4 nights discount to cover your costs.

garyde
03-29-2007, 11:53 PM
I'm going to stick up for FMCA. It's one of the few Ralleys I can get to and see so many different Converters, and Vendors all at one time. I don't care for most of the entertainment venues (too dated), but they have many good Seminars. They may be too big and inconsequential for some of todays issues, hopefully they will eventually begin addressing those issues. If not, they will loose more people to other organizations.