PDA

View Full Version : PDI Question

loosenup
08-10-2020, 05:00 PM
Hello Poggers! We are very seriously considering our first Prevost.

We’ve found a ‘93 XL Country Coach that has caught our fancy. We are really interested in the coach and will be going to check it out this coming weekend. It had a new 8v92 installed not long ago and has less than 20k miles on it, while only having about 110k on the chassis.

Where should we begin with the PDI? How do we find an inspector? Is the common approach to take the coach to the inspector or vice versa?

Thanks so much for your help! There is so much to learn here, and we want to make sure we start out on the right foot!

Thanks again,
David

Gil_J
08-10-2020, 05:25 PM
If you can get Joe Camper to inspect the undercarriage and drive train you will be dollars ahead. I inspect Prevosts, and only Prevosts. I don't generally inspect pre-95 era coaches as I have zero experience with the 2 stroke diesels, even though my primary focus is the converter systems. Where is this coach? Feel free to email me the listing, if you'd like. trawlergil@gmail.com

loosenup
08-10-2020, 05:28 PM
Thanks Gil! Link sent to your email. It’s located in Tennessee. We live in Orlando, but are up in the Chattanooga area now so we can scoot up and check it out when it comes out of the detail shop this weekend.

Joe Camper
08-10-2020, 05:33 PM
Do u understand the huge difference in coaches equipped with the 60 series and those without?

loosenup
08-10-2020, 05:47 PM
I do understand the difference, and understand the four stroke series 60 is a superior engine in power, emissions, and probably longevity. It seems an 8v92 with around 10k miles would still be a reliable power plant, but I’m certainly no expert! In Prevosts, it’s hard to find a series 60 equipped coach under $100k. I find MCIs with 60s in the same ballpark (55-65k), but thought a Prevost with a low miles 92 would be a better rig than a comparably priced MCI. Should I think about this differently?

Joe Camper
08-10-2020, 06:58 PM
The bus looks in very good condition from the photos and the price is quite reasonable.

What did u see Gill?

Joe Camper
08-10-2020, 07:09 PM
I'm in Georgia for at least 4 or 5 days then Moorhead City NC. From there 2 stops in Ohio. I could divert to Knoxville on my way to Ohio but narrowing that down to closer than sometime in around 10 days to 2 weeks at this point would be impossible. Often things snowball and i would need a great deal of flexibility like notice 24hr prior to arrive would be great for me. I do not worry about the next job till I have my current 1 buttoned up and i have a 2 in the immediate future to concentrate on.

Does the bus still retain the CC and Prevo Manualls? Is there any service history? Someone put a lot of love into preserving that bus if saved the receipts should fill a shoebox.

Joe Camper
08-10-2020, 07:24 PM
If u were to purchase that bus no service history and after I uncovered many aged out chassis components and u gave me card blanch to go through it.....I would pull all 6 hubs down to the spindles replacing the lions share of suspension and brake components and parts and labor would come in more than 10 less than 15g.

I am suggesting this to all new patients that come to me with anything older than 2000 with limited service history.

loosenup
08-10-2020, 08:44 PM
Thanks so much. We’ll know more later this week. I looked at and test drove a ‘93 XL in Nashville that had both the marathon and Prevost manuals. It seemed to be in pretty good shape too, but service history was sparse.

Joe Camper
08-10-2020, 09:02 PM
I know pictures can be deciving but if it presents in person as in the photos its priced to sell fast. I wouldn't share that info with anyone until u decide u do not want it.

How long has it been for sale? Like less than a week or what?

Gil_J
08-10-2020, 09:10 PM
Wasn't enough detail in any pictures to see the systems. But it looked well cared for cosmetically.

Joe Camper
08-10-2020, 09:19 PM
What jumped at me was the photo of the engine room pass side. All the prevo grey was looking really mint. I bet that's a very rust free camper. The asking price included OBO. How little r they willing to take? If it were me and I decided it would be mine I'd show up with the asking price in cash then I'd start with a total lowball offer to be sure I found the bottom and still be happy to pay close to asking price I think its priced quite reasonably if it presents in person as the add states and shows.

I'd also still have 20g to spend on it on the side and it wouldn't take a year to spend it. Everybody does.

Chad Speer
08-11-2020, 02:18 AM
Sorry for the thread drift. Hey, Joe - say hello to Morehead City for me. I used to fly out of the airport there when I was stationed at Cherry Point. I did most of my flight training there, including my first solo. There was a cool bar along the highway called Rapscallions, but it looks like it’s been closed for a while. The airport is named after Michael J. Smith, who was the commander of the space shuttle Challenger on its last mission. I actually went through some Air Force space shuttle training at Cherry Point because we were a launch abort emergency landing field. Strange to think about that now.

David, by way of apology, let me add that Joe does outstanding work. He did most of that work he mentioned on my 1984 Liberty Coach about a year ago. I learned a great deal by helping him. Good luck in your search.

JCarrollJr
08-11-2020, 05:42 PM
I know that everyone has their own way of negotiating prices and OBOs, so here's my way on every thing that I buy and nobody ever feels like they got the short end of the stick. I just don't price someone else's property. I simply ask them to come up with the bottom dollar that they will accept and tell them that when they give me that number that I'll either write them a check, or I'll go home. As simple as that. No counter offers or further discussion period. Every time all have left happy and most of the time the bottom dollar is less than I would have made as an offer. Every time all have been happy and I have bought what they had for sale. From real-estate to vintage cars, motorcycles, airplanes and even buses. Once on a bus deal, the bottom dollar number went down another $30,000.00. just by asking for an additional night to sleep on it. I always sleep on it at least one night.