PDA

View Full Version : What Was That? A I Thought He Said?

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-27-2007, 10:19 PM
The Last Call Marine,repeater might be of interest to some of you.
Karl Muller in particular.
Check it out. Play the demo.
http://www.lastcallmarine.com/ ("http://www.lastcallmarine.com/"):cool:

Ray Davis
03-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Wouldn't that be more useful if it recorded the last multiple messages instead of only one message? I'm not sure exactly what it's intended to do for the owner.

JIM CHALOUPKA
03-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Ray Davis; Wouldn't that be more useful if it recorded the last multiple messages instead of only one message? I'm not sure exactly what it's intended to do for the owner.

Ray, I concur, but it is a step in the right direction. For years I have wanted a devise that would be part of or connected to the car/truck broadcast radio that would constantly record everything that came through for say a period of? 10 min., half hour I don't know exactly, but some period of tome so that you could replay whatever you had just heard and then permanently save it or just hear it. The devise would be in use 100% of the time the radio was on and you could hear that previous tidbit anytime you pushed a button. If you did't want to rehear anything the system would constantly move forward overwriting(for lack of a better term) the programing.

The use of the devise I brought up here I think is for a situation on a ship where the communication that was missed is important to its operation, but because of some circumstance that I am not exactly aware of it is, impossible, unreasonable or impractical to ask for a repeat. Examples I can think of are instructions for entering port, intent in method of passing ie. port starboard.

Another area would be in a plane. When I was a teenager taking flying lessons. Which were in a Cessna 120 which if you don't know is quite insignificant when compared to EVERYTHING and ANYTHING else that was flying in and out of Cleveland Hopkins Airport even in 1959. To say the least everything around was hugh and geared for commercial flights. the runway markings were hard to make out from a dinky tail wheel plane and though perfectly functional the radio left a lot to be desired. The tower flight controllers were a little impatient if not arrogant in attitude with the small planes. Their transmissions of taxi clearance to takeoff, runway usage and holding information, many times were not easily understandable, or remembered. In those cases it would have been nice to have the rebroadcast devise. I sometimes instead had to ask for a repeat and suffer their ire! I am quite sure why it would not be allowed on aircraft, but it seems to me with the way they do things it just wouldn't!
Anyway it's new and I prefaced my post with: it might be of some use to someone. If so maybe they will step forward and tell us.
PS It could remember a last transmission for help exactly as transmitted without interpretation.
I don't know. JIM:eek:

BrianE
03-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Sounds suspiciously like a cockpit voice recorder to me, the microphones of which live in the cockpit of every commercial aircraft. Not much use to the crew (although available with the push of a button). In worse case scenarios the last words are usually "OH S---!". :eek:

Jon Wehrenberg
03-29-2007, 07:45 AM
There are numerous devices apart from a CVR available for GA pilots. They have been available for years.