PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed car carriers?

ken&ellen
01-03-2006, 01:06 PM
:confused: Ellen & I tow our Civic Hybrid four wheels down. We have been thinking about an enclosed car carrier for several reasons. 1) Our CruiseAir takes up the belly of our coach. 2) More storage by utilizing the car carrier 3) Prevents damage to the Civic by road debris. 4) Can not back up towing 4 down. What is the groups opinion. Thanks

Kevin Erion
01-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Ken,
I agree with all the reasons that you mentioned plus I have 3 small girls and we want to bring the bicycles and those types of things. I purchased the black 26' Competitive trailer that was for sale on Prevost-Stuff.
I guess with that we can bring the back yard swing set as well. I just want to have all I can. I will bring my own wheel and rim for the Bus as a spare and all the other fun stuff.

I think I understand the down side to towing something this big but for me I can deal with that trade off for the extra storage space.
Kevin

Jerry Winchester
01-03-2006, 07:43 PM
I have done it both ways. We have an alumninum car trailer that works well for certain trips. However, many RV campgrounds can't stand a 40' coach and 20' of trailer behind it.

Then we purchased an SUV we could tow just to see how it worked and for many applications that is just the way to go. Takes about a minute to unhook it and less time that that to shift it from neutral, so we are off and running. No more ratchet straps to attach and wrangle and no road damage (yet). We are going to tow the thing to the Grand Tetons / Yellowstone in June, so that will be the true test.

And we have a wheeless trailer for the SUV in case the girls "overpack".

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-08-2006, 12:36 PM
I was wondering about the combined length of the coach and the towed vehicle. Would'nt a 45'r and a Chrysler van exceed Cal. 65' limit. Do any other states have the 65' limit? I have seen many coaches pulling trailers that appeared to be quite a bit longer than 20'. How do they do it? Does one need a 40'r to travel 'better' in Cal.? Do most stay away from Cal. with the 45'rs?

My wife wants to know what % of women drive the coach?
Ohio and Florida do not require a CDL for an RV. Do other states that do require the CDL permit out of state drivers without one to drive in their state?
Someone mentioned independent front suspension as opposed to solid, is this a concern for older coaches only or could you find say a 2002 without independent suspension? I hav'nt seen much mention of front suspension in spec. lists.

JIM

Jerry Winchester
04-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Jim,

I can only answer a couple of the questions.

My wife drives the coach and we are towing an H3 behind it. She does not have a CDL, but I have had one for 25 years and I keep the endorsements current.

I don't think there was any option on the newer coaches to have the solid front axle. I think all the new ones are set up with the independent front suspension and I doubt you will see it in many of the specs just because most folks know the year model break at which they were installed. It won't be hard to determine if you are looking at the coach in person.

I don't know about the CDL deal in other states, but if I lived in a state that didn't require one for an RV, then I would surely challange anyone saying you had to have one in a certain state. I got stopped in Colorado for not having a tag on a utility trailer. I told the highway patrol guy that they were not required in Oklahoma and he said well you are in Colorado and we require them.

I told him that when we went to court to clear this up, I would remind the judge that I had told the officer that there was no state requirement in the state I resided in, tagged my vehicle in and owned the trailer in to have a tag and that he should be aware that it didn't apply to Colorado.

He let me go, no questions asked, no ticket or warning. He knew I was right and that he would look like a fool in court.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-08-2006, 02:55 PM
I agree with JDUB relative to the licensing requirements. The only thing I would do would be to check with FMCA or similar organization because of the fact that some states (California comes to mind) have created laws now favorable to an RVer, but there appears to be a quid pro quo.

They recently approved a law allowing 45 foot coaches to drive on their roads (and there are certain limitations there), but the driver had to possess what I understand is a non-commercial class B license.

There was a time when NY (1992 I think) was not allowing RV owners to drive their coach after a traffic stop if they did not possess the suitable license (based on weight, air brakes, etc). That was changed after a huge outcry, but I think I read recently some states are again requiring appropriate non-commercial licenses. I know there is some reciprocity between states, but there are some states that will not reciprocate with your home state. FWIW, I get an insurance discount because I posses a class A. It might be economically feasible to just get a license for the class of coach (class B for over 26,000 lbs. with an air brake endorsement)

As far as length, 65' is the limit in most states, and my coach with my pickup is illegal, but towing the H2 it is exactly at the legal limit. I spoke to a Prevost owner at Camp Prevost in Jacksonville and he had just gotten a very large fine in one of the Dakotas because he was over the 65 foot length with his enclosed trailer. It is my personal opinion that police will not ticket overlength rigs unless they are grossly overlength or are doing something to attract their attention like speeding or tailgating.

My wife did drive the coach, but since it made her nervous she now does not.

Just Plain Jeff
04-08-2006, 03:15 PM
The only restrictions about length such as that you are suggesting is in California. You can find out about that by Googling on the net. Suggest that you get yourself a Trucker's Atlas that will show every state's individual differences in length, licensing, etc.

You do NOT have to get a CDL to drive any type of RV; despite the driving of some we see along the road.

As to what women do, well, that's a much larger topic and there is no forum on this site that is secure enough for me to mention a single word about it.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Sorry, Jeff.

The attached link shows the CA requirement for a class B non-commercial license with an RV endorsement for 45 foot motorhomes.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/bus-mh/fs-motorhms.htm

On the other hand your comments about women drivers is 100% correct.

Just Plain Jeff
04-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Oh sure Jon, give people facts.

Next thing you know, we will have to start telling the truth.

Jon Wehrenberg
04-08-2006, 09:02 PM
I said it before. If I don't know the answer I will make something up, but this was too easy.

I followed the CA debate because their stance previous to allowing the 45s was impacting a lot of folks. I would have to dig into this further, but somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to recall some other states are also requiring non-commercial licenses for big and heavy RVs.

If I remember correctly the CA debate was contentious and it was finally decided if 45 footers were to be allowed, they were to be driven by folks who had demonstrated the necessary skills, thus the requirement for a license. If my memory is correct they have severely limited how far 45 foot rigs can go from the interstates. I don't know if they are enforcing those limitations.

Ray Davis
05-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Ellen & I tow our Civic Hybrid four wheels down
I'm curious how that is working, at least from the Hybrid side of things. I also have a Hondy civic hybrid, and would like to tow it in the near future.

I can't really consider the trailer aspect, as it would be one more thing to store somewhere, and would cost on the order of $300/month in lovely southern CA.

Do you use any auxilliary brakes?
Where did you get the mounting panel for the civic?
Does it require a special tow arm?

I'm just starting at looking at towing, and don't know a whole lot about it yet.

-ray

ken&ellen
05-04-2006, 09:19 PM
We have been towing the Civic since last April. We use a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. For braking we use a Brake Buddy. We did have a problem on our trip to Polk City for the POG rally. In my opinion we had a rear wheel bearing seize and cause the tire to blow as well as tore up the wheel. Honda claims that the Civic should not be towed 4 wheels down, but even if we had used a tow dolly the rear wheels would be on the ground....the rear wheel would have still seized. Honda then claimed that my wife had left the emergency brake on causing the mishap? We had the car repaired and then towed it home from North Carolina without a problem. Ken:mad:

lewpopp
05-04-2006, 09:57 PM
There is a Honda dealer in our park and he says that Honda has reconsidered telling people that their cars are towable because the owners are not following the process to the letter.

You must come out of drive prior to going to neutral. If the last gear you come out of is reverse, there is a key or something in the tranny that will lock up something and frig everything up.

My car is a saturn Vue with a Honda drivetrain and I must follow the directions to the letter or I'll frog it up also.

Do the tow manuals say that the hybrids are towable?

Ray Davis
05-04-2006, 11:21 PM
I looked at the Honda site, and basically it said we think you can tow it, BUT, we've not tested in any amount, and therefore recommend limit distance and speed.

Then they do describe a complicated scenario of running the engine, shifting to all gears before towing, and then repeating the sequence if towing for over 8 hours.

There was a tow bar which came with this coach, but I don't even know what kind it is. I assume that various towbars have matching base plates and that they are not universal?

Chris and Debbie Yates
07-24-2006, 01:10 PM
I recently bought a used Competitive trailer. I have not been able to locate a website for this company. Does anyone know if they are still arround and how to contact them?

Cheers,

Chris

Coloradobus
07-24-2006, 10:35 PM
I have found this:

Competitive Trailers
8832 Ramona St
Bellflower, California

562-634-2006

Good Luck

Kevin Erion
07-24-2006, 11:07 PM
I to bought a 98 30' Competitive and Dan is the owner, good guy and will try to help.
Kevin

Chris and Debbie Yates
07-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks to Kevin and to Coloradobus for the info. It sure helped to make a noob feel welcome.

Cheers

ken&ellen
07-25-2006, 07:47 PM
C&D, I see by your profile you race vintage cars and it would be safe to assume the enclosed carrier is for the cars. What types do you race? As a young man in Upstate New York I would watch as the cars would be going to Watskin Glen for the Grand Prix. Graham Hill and Sterling Moss were my driving favorites. Current racing is to clinical as well as commercial....although I still watch. Welcome to POG. Ken & Ellen

Chris and Debbie Yates
07-26-2006, 11:53 AM
K&E, the enclosed trailer is for Debbie's mini convertible and my motorcycle (don't leave home without it) The race car travels with the support team, I just arrive and drive! The vintage car is a 1969 Merlyn Formula Ford. If you google CVAR you can find pics of the group we run with, there are some neat old cars from the same era as Graham Hill and Stirling Moss. I was glad to see that you were cheering for the Brits!

Cheers.

ken&ellen
07-26-2006, 12:41 PM
C & D, My first love is a A H 3000 Mark series as well as the 1949 / 1950 MG TD / TC . The 1962 XKE Jag was awesome. The bikes were great as well, Nortons, BSA, and Triumphs were real popular. Electrical systems where always the weak link. Ken

Chris and Debbie Yates
07-26-2006, 01:46 PM
K&E, if you (or anyone else) going to Santa Fe are interested, I will be racing the Formula Ford in an event called Thunder on the Cimmaron at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit in Oklahoma the weekend prior to the POG rally, Oct 7&8.
Hallett is aprox 30 miles west of Tulsa on the Cimmaron Turnpike. It's a pretty location in the hills of Eastern OK. There will be some very cool old race cars there including A-H 3000s and XKEs. The circuit is very motorhome friendly and have some hookups, but we usually boondock it. It's about 650 miles to Santa Fe from there, so it's an easy one day drive.
I am trying to fix my schedule so that I can go to Santa Fe directly from the race.
Hope to see you there (we will be the ones in the black and stainless Royale)

Cheers

Just Plain Jeff
07-26-2006, 09:11 PM
When you come to POGII, may we please use some of your neat old cars?

Promise we will give them back, no kidding.

Chris and Debbie Yates
07-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Sorry Jeff, we will only have Debbie's Mini Cooper with us, but if you ask her I am sure that she will take you for a quick trip round the park in it.

Jerry Winchester
07-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Chris,

We have to come pick our coach up in Stillwater (not for from Hallett) to head out for Santa Fe, so if you don't leave too soon we may have a convoy opportunity.

Unless you drive 62.5 mph. If so you can fall in behind the Anal Vortex and follow Jon to Santa Fe.

Looking forward to seeing your coach. We have a Royale and when placed beside the austeer, plain jane, lackluster Libertys, it just seems out of place.

rfoster
07-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Jerry:
uh- your probably right - where is the Royale on the bench?
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/parkwayautoofbristol/ourgang.jpg

Jerry Winchester
07-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Don't you have some cars to sell or some old ladys to cheat or something else to do besides post Lew's family photo?

Chris and Debbie Yates
07-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Jerry, yeah I am up for a convoy to SF and I am pretty sure that we can do quite a bit better than 62.5
I have a question;
Does the anal vortex have anything to do with eating Mexican food?

Chris

Jerry Winchester
07-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Anal Vortex

http://jdub.smugmug.com/photos/84531920-M.jpg

Anal Master

http://jdub.smugmug.com/photos/83436954-M.jpg

Anal Wannabe in Training

http://jdub.smugmug.com/photos/57943957-M.jpg

Coloradobus
07-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Hey guys,

Jon's Liberty has the same coloured awnings as we have!:)

Jon Wehrenberg
07-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Well at least two coaches at SF will be tasteful.

lewpopp
07-28-2006, 10:02 PM
Roger...You came awful close in posting my family picture. I had 7 kids and no dog at that time. But you're damn close.

lewpopp
07-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Jerry, I asked you once before if you had any trouble pulling those tights on. Answer us.

And also, get a new make-up person.

You make me sick, and not love sick.

win42
08-05-2006, 10:37 AM
Bringing your "House Cars" to CA. : Just don't do it, we have too many transients here now. Add in all the furriners that's already here and you'll find a real mess. If you come across our southern border you can be driving any kind of vehicle in any kind of shape with no drivers license as long as the expired license plates say Mexico. Residents here can obtain a comercial drivers license and haul a set of triples. Which means a tow vehicle, a towed vehical and a boat behind that. With $$$ you can permit haul almost anything. So if you want to visit us come across our southern border go to the beach, chill out then skeedaddle. No out of state prune pickers welcome.
Just kidding. Your welcome anytime, bring $$$$